Human Resources and Security

It seems that because of 9/11, children that were born on Canadian bases, to Canadian families, while their parents were serving the Canadian government are not citizens.

Forces' babies deprived

It seems that just having all this does not make you worthy of being a Canadian citizen. Most of the people who fall under this category have lived in Canada there whole life, have had SIN cards issued, and have worked in Canada, but are not Canadian citizens.

I was a Liberal supporter until I read this, perhaps this is the final slap at the military that i will take.

This is clearly a ridiculous situation, but I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for why the policy existed. As much as the Liberals annoy me, I doubt they just decided "hey, let's treat our overseas Canadian Forces personnel like second-class citizens." There must have been a rational explanation for the policy; I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it before I condemn it.

However, something has clearly gone awry and they should fix it ASAP.

-kimmy

From the Worthington column above:

No, she was told, it was new security legislation after 9/11, and that she'd have to obtain "proper proof" of citizenship, pay a $75 application fee, get passport photos, have her identity certified by a notary public and then be prepared to wait eight months while the backlog of citizenship applications was processed.

This woman is a Canadian citizen. Like many others, she is just forced to wait a long time to obtain a citizenship card. (These cards are issued, in lieu of a birth certificate, to people born outside of Canada.)

Eight months. And many people on this forum want to have government bureaucrats provide even more services for us.