Are aboriginals "immigrants"?

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎09 at 6:48 PM, -TSS- said:

I thought it was common knowledge that the Vikings discovered North-America long before Columbus did. For some perhaps very understandable reason the Vikings decided that it was not their preferential choice and headed back home.

The Vikings probably were the first Europeans who came to the East coast and so?  Its also believed South pacific Islanders by sea came to South America  and people from the Mongolian plains  crossed the ice from Russia to Alaska. So?

Populations came to North and South America and evolved. Then thousands of years later, Europeans in the name of Jesus Christ came upon these lands declaring them for Christ and their Kings and Queens who they believe personified the beliefs of Christ.

The clash of civilizations is now recorded. So?

I totally disagree with Jacee on many threads but on this one I must defend her position as it is legally sound.

In law there is no concept of losers and winners. The law is in theory blind to such concepts and is supposed to see parties as equals and do a balancing act so to speak and provide remedies to equal the imbalances when they arise.

The Supreme Court of Canada uses a rule of law that does not define aboriginals or non aboriginals as winners or losers, just two equal conflicted components.

The Manga Carta act signed by King John with aboriginal leaders is the basis of all treaties our laws are based on when interacting with the aboriginal nations.

The aboriginal nations are defined as a nation of nations, equal and running parallel in equal coexistence with our non aboriginal federal government.

Our non aboriginal government broke treaties we signed with aboriginals. They don't in law get to break treaties because they are winners and aboriginals are losers.

The law doesn't define the issues or solutions to remedying the issues in conflict that way.

Say what you want aboriginals have not engaged in terrorism when we violated and broke the agreements we made with them. They have waited us out waiting for us to evolve to a point where we get to their method of conflict resolution that sees the planet and where we live as something we share not own.

I think what pisses so many people off is that in this supposed power struggle or conflict, the concept that aboriginals may be more highly evolved than we non aboriginals in terms of how they perceive the universe let alone our place on the planet  is something they are not yet ready for. Thus we prefer to think of aboriginals as losers, drunks, lazy, etc.

The epidemic of suicides in aboriginal lands in Canada, the alcoholism, the poverty, its a complex form of behaviour with many causes, some that begin and end with each aboriginal's decision making processes but some so heavily imposed on them by environmental limitation as to make it difficult to overcome.

Being angry at aboriginals for asking for their rights to be honoured and their way of life to be respected which is at the pith and substance of these legal conflicts causes a lot of backlash with non aboriginals feeling if they do that it gives aboriginals an unfair advantage.

The fact is non aboriginals approach land issues from the perspective of someone owns the land to the exclusivity of others. Aboriginals approach the very same issue with the concept that no one owns land, land is a collective shared concept.

Our conflicts can actually be summarized as simply as this-when the Europeans came, they put up fences. Aboriginals looked at them and said why would you do that?

That difference is still and the pith and substance of every legal issue we remain confllicted about.

I am not hear to romanticize aboriginals or demonize non aboriginals, just to say on this one Jacee's description of the legal process is accurate and we still have a long way to go in resolving conflicts with the native collective of nations.

Yes their collective of nations faces internal challenges of corruption, suicide, alcoholism. Yes. Our non aboriginal governments also face the same challenges.

I personally have seen some very bad stomach churning situations in the court system with native peoples-I don't romanticize sniffing glue, lighting children on fire, beating women senseless in a drunken rage. I don't though take sides and say it makes all aboriginals lost or losers. How can I? I've seen the same crap with my people if I call them that.

Its all relative.

I tell you what. I don't myself find Trudeau capable of doing anything but simplistic lip service and feel good photo ops with aboriginals. I think where he really lost their respect was going into a teepee on capital hill during July 1 celebrations thinking it made him look tolerant and hip.

The first thing he did when he came out was to brag how he was the first PM to do that. To me it was a monumental indication of everything wrong with Trudeau let alone our approach to our issues with native peoples. All Trudeau could do is talk about himself and use natives to make himself look  better,  Maybe in our dialogue with natives we need to stop doing that and talk in collective terms rather than how it relates to us as individuals.

• Like 1