Canada's carbon tax

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

So then my question is how? Throw CO2 targets out. Does adaptation include government intervention and assistance? Or is it just up to individuals to adapt to this global problem on their own? If it is left to individuals, should there be some sort of government regulation or oversight of how they're adapting to insure that it's effective or that people are doing their "fair share?"

Governments have been responsible for coordinating and funding adaption for as long as there has been governments. Nothing will change. 
The nice thing about adaption is the decisions have to be local and are based on actual need. If a hypothetical problem does not appear there is no need pay for adaptation. It also means we don't care why a drought or a flood occurred - we just care that it did occur and civil defenses need to created. 

Edited by TimG

5 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Listen, you're saying a lot when all I'm asking for is an alternative to carbon tax. Your alternative was heavy fines. I'm just trying to explain that those are going to be the same in effect as a carbon tax if your concern is the cost being passed along to consumers. Heavy fines doesn't resolve that and in fact is more expensive than a carbon tax, since enforcement would be more costly (I didn't mention that point previously).

Regardless, I'm glad to see that you recognize there's a problem and that we must come to some sort of solution. That's at least a point we can agree upon. TimG won't even go that far. He thinks we should do nothing.

One of my suggestions was heavy fines, yes but fines are not the end all be all but they are a tool, presently major companies laugh at our attempt to obey the laws and policies already established....they laugh when it is cheaper to pay the fine and continue with breaking the law. the whole fine thing needs to be overhauled, along with the laws and policies put in place.....in these cases carrying a heavy stick works.....Heavy fines, would send a stronger message to these companies, sooner or later once the fines increased enough they would either come on board or shut down.....but right now the laws and policies favour the companies, and i want to add governments as well at all levels, why is it alright for montreal to pump out bils of liters of human waste, with the federal government blessing.....what type of message does that send ? 

Another idea was more federal government funding for strictly greenier infra structure, IE to fix montreals sewage treatment system, i get that we are doing just that, but not on the scale needed....or we would not have to make the consumers pay for the entire shot.....Where does all this money come from, ask the liberals where they found 30 bil that was spent so far, with many more on the books to be spent.....if money can be found in that qty , don't tell me it can't be found for carbon projects....

The problem with the Carbon tax is , it is not broad enough to cover all of the problems that effect our environment...And while i am not a tree hugger per say, i do care about our environment, as i am a avid hunter/ camper/ outdoors men, and i've yet to be to a place that has zero signs left by man, garbage, waste etc....including the high artic in resolute bay and CFS Alert.... 

This liberal plan lacks any real sound decisions , it sounds like someone crafted it up on a napkin in 30 mins.

19 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Carbon taxes do not make Canada a single cent less competitive, that is a complete fabrication. Increased overall taxation may, but moving the tax burden onto those that create the most GHG has nothing to do with overall taxation. Keep crying wolf, but nobody is listening. 

Different types of taxes have different levels of efficiency. Some taxes are more efficient than others. Increasing the consumption tax would be more efficient than taxing CO2 emissions in terms of the cost to the economy per dollar of revenue collected.

8 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

One of my suggestions was heavy fines, yes but fines are not the end all be all but they are a tool

King Canute could not stop the seas from rising no matter how many taxes and fines he levied on his subjects.

We can have no discussion of this topic without an honest assessment of what is economically feasible given the tech available today. Setting goals that can only be met by cheating will simply encourage cheating. 

On 1/25/2017 at 5:45 PM, TimG said:

King Canute could not stop the seas from rising no matter how many taxes and fines he levied on his subjects.

We can have no discussion of this topic without an honest assessment of what is economically feasible given the tech available today. Setting goals that can only be met by cheating will simply encourage cheating. 

Very good point, I'm surprised they did not do the same thing they did with the Military, and put it to the people on the inter net. I mean this is a topic we all have a vested interest in.....or perhaps they already know the answer to all the questions and it will cost money to fix....