SkyDome sold

kimmy

SkyDome has been sold to Rogers Communications for $25 million, which I am guessing is probably about the cost of the land it's sitting on.

I have heard that it originally cost $600 million to build, and that a large portion of that was provincial and federal taxpayer money.

I was wondering if anybody knows what the original breakdown of construction costs was, and whether those have ever been recouped in anyway. I believe that SkyDome has been sold before, correct?

Followup question: if SkyDome were in Montreal rather than Toronto, would there be a lot more talk about the federal money which appears to have been completely wasted on this thing?

-kimmy

By the time construction of the retractable-roofed building was finished, it had cost taxpayers about $600-million.
Those would be 1985 dollars.

I gather the taxpayer paid most of the construction cost. I don't know how much federal money was put into it.

According to the article, the Ontarion government sold the Skydome to a private firm for $151 million in 1994.

Globe and Mail 29 Nov 2004

By comparison, the Olympic Stadium in Montreal cost $1 billion in 1976 dollars and Toronto's CN Tower cost $63 million (also in 1976 dollars, or $260 million in 1999 dollars).

The Olympic Stadium was paid for entirely by Quebec taxpayers.

Boston's "Big Dig" cost $14.6 billion US. Tip O'Neill got the feds to pick up the tab.