Trudeau's Coming Battle with the Conservative Senate

10 years of Reform government and they did nothing to come even remotely close to fulfilling their policy promises on the Senate or much of anything else for that matter.

That's because there was no Reform government. There was a Conservative government which valued pragmatism and the middle road and not rocking the boat above almost all else.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I would say, though, that his senate appointments did tend to be a little different in that they were usually not life long politicians or party bagmen, which was the previous tradition. In fact, he might have been better had he retained that position since lifelong politicians seem less likely to get into trouble than journalists and the like.

Harper appointed many party bag men. So did Chretien.

That's because there was no Reform government. There was a Conservative government which valued pragmatism and the middle road and not rocking the boat above almost all else.

The Conservatives died when those parties merged. The fact that all that is left of their support is in Alberta and southern Saskatchewan shows that it's only the Reform support that they have still.

The Conservatives died when those parties merged. The fact that all that is left of their support is in Alberta and southern Saskatchewan shows that it's only the Reform support that they have still.

The thirty three seats in Ontario and eleven in Quebec don't count?

Then why did they run on the platform of Senate reform? They should have told everyone that they weren't going to bother because they're pragmatists now...

I almost voted for them based on their Senate reform agenda in 2006. Thank goodness the guy running was a complete flake so I didn't end up voting for them. Harper actually had me fooled into thinking he was going to do something.... he was the worst PM at appointing Senators in my voting life. Awful!

A Quebec Court judge has granted Sen. Patrick Brazeau an absolute discharge in his assault and cocaine possession case. He has more cases pending.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/discharged-brazeau-hopes-for-quick-return-to-senate-1.2631001

He has hailed the decision and says he is looking forward to rejoining the Senate. He is still getting paid.

I wonder how the rest of the Conservative Senators feel?

A Quebec Court judge has granted Sen. Patrick Brazeau an absolute discharge in his assault and cocaine possession case. He has more cases pending.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/discharged-brazeau-hopes-for-quick-return-to-senate-1.2631001

He has hailed the decision and says he is looking forward to rejoining the Senate. He is still getting paid.

I wonder how the rest of the Conservative Senators feel?

I wonder if Harper feels any shame at this?

Another disastrous appointment in a long line of them....

That will be the Harper legacy... a string of partisan appointments who were crooks, liars and frauds... history will not be kind...

Then why did they run on the platform of Senate reform? They should have told everyone that they weren't going to bother because they're pragmatists now...

I almost voted for them based on their Senate reform agenda in 2006. Thank goodness the guy running was a complete flake so I didn't end up voting for them. Harper actually had me fooled into thinking he was going to do something.... he was the worst PM at appointing Senators in my voting life. Awful!

Anybody who could read the amending formulas in the Constitution Act, 1982 knew all along that the Tories' commitments to Senate reform were utter rubbish. It was yet another example of the use of empty populist promises to win votes from the core Core constituency.

In the end, Trudeau did more to reform the Senate by removing the Liberal senators from his caucus than all the unconstitutional blathering of the Tories.

I wonder if Harper feels any shame at this?

Another disastrous appointment in a long line of them....

That will be the Harper legacy... a string of partisan appointments who were crooks, liars and frauds... history will not be kind...

The guy was exonerated. The amount of hyperbole in your post is nauseating.

If anything, Harper should regret throwing him out.

The guy was exonerated. The amount of hyperbole in your post is nauseating.

If anything, Harper should regret throwing him out.

He plead guilty to the charges of assault and cocaine use and then received the discharge. So he admitted to doing these things.

Regret throwing him out? Do you want to think that over a little while longer....? You don't mind that he admitted to assault and cocaine use? So Harper should have kept him, eh? You may want to look up the definition of "exonerated"...

He is now up on criminal fraud charges for his Senate expenses.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/brazeau-no-criminal-record-jail-senate-1.3292343

Sen. Patrick Brazeau has been granted an absolute discharge after pleading guilty to assault and cocaine charges...

Brazeau still faces a criminal trial for fraud and breach of trust arising from his Senate expenses...

Edited by The_Squid

He plead guilty to the charges of assault and cocaine use and then received the discharge. So he admitted to doing these things.

Regret throwing him out? Do you want to think that over a little while longer....? You don't mind that he admitted to assault and cocaine use? So Harper should have kept him, eh? You may want to look up the definition of "exonerated"...

He is now up on criminal fraud charges for his Senate expenses.

And your boy did pot while sitting in parliament.

As long as the public "forgives" him, two of the same situations to me.

My point is they should not both be criminal offences. Some sheep seem not able to understand the difference. Luckily our new government does.

Your new government still has to actually act on this. And I hope to hell they tax it because of their many holes in their costing plan. If they raise enough revenues, hopefully they don't increase taxes.

Your new government still has to actually act on this. And I hope to hell they tax it because of their many holes in their costing plan. If they raise enough revenues, hopefully they don't increase taxes.

They actually become government on Nov. 4. You seem to want to try and judge the race before it even starts.

Both ways? The comment makes no sense. Please define.

Someone else (maybe you or not I don't remember) said that Justin was following through on his campaign promises at this point. (probably re: pulling out of bombing ISIS)

Yet your comment was basically "he hasn't formed government yet, so cut him some slack".

That was what I was referring to.

I said (it was me) that we can't judge him as a leader until he is one, but that he seems to be attempting to keep his promises, given what we know about his pre leadership discussions.

Edited by Smallc