Wierd story on runaway teens

Argus

There is always some event going on that baffles me as to why it's in the news. Some murder case, out of thousands of other murder cases, somehow captures the imagination of tabloid media and everybody covers it because everybody thinks everybody else is interested in it.

Or some disappearance. Or something else. Sometimes there's an angle that makes it ideal for tabloid journalists-- often the angle is that the people involved are really attractive.

They have to fit a certain criteria before their disappearance is important enough for Nancy Grace etc. to give it wall to wall coverage on CNN or other fake news sites: be white, beautiful - or at least photogenic, and come from an upper middle to wealthy family, so that important people may become concerned about what happens to their daughters at university.

For example: during the Natalie Holloway circus some years back, hundreds of girls and young women went missing and their families couldn't even get the attention of local news....let alone CNN.

But, many of them weren't white, and the parents didn't live in a mansion to provide nice background shots for the media. And let's not forget that in this country, it could take hundreds of native girls going missing before a lightbulb goes off in the heads of RCMP...."I wonder if a serial killer might be on the loose!"

What counts as a crime story tells us a lot about the class divisions in a society - who counts vs. who's not important.

I think we were talking about all this stuff not too long ago in the Oscar Pistorius thread.

I'm glad I missed that one!

I saw a news article yesterday about a cat in Russia who saved an abandoned baby from certain death. Somebody heard a cat meowing loudly and went to find out what was going on. They found the cat in an alley, in a box, meowing its head off, and the cat was cuddled around a newborn baby. Without the cat crying, who knows how long it would have been before someone found the baby. And they think that without the cat there to keep it warm, the baby would have frozen to death before anyone found it.

For me, I care far more about that kitty than I care about Oscar Pistorius or Natalee Holloway or Jon-Benet Ramsey or any of the other random news celebrities who have come and gone over the years.

-k

Me too! But that story has taken off and gathered worldwide interest, because it is so unusual and unexpected. People who hate cats predetermine that they are selfish and antisocial, and stories like that one prove otherwise. At least it's a story that can provide new information or understanding, unlike 99.9% of what makes the news cycle.

My biggest beef is what doesn't get covered in the news, but is important to all of us. Like the TPP for instance. This proposed expansion of the corporate capture of government, has been going on publicly for a few years...and secretly for years prior, yet only world leaders and top corporate executives are at the negotiating table.

Then there is all the stuff...too numerous to mention, that we would be completely in the dark about, except for the leakes and revelations of Snowden, Manning, Thomas Drake, John Kiriakou to name a few. What we have presented to us as "news" is mostly irrelevant, counter-factual, and stories promoted by large corporate interests...such as weapons contractors. So, my expectations from the news are already pretty low.

She apparently has "sex appeal" to her 18 year old boyfriend/or abductor..whatever the case! And you can bet for damn sure, that media covering the story will play up the sexual aspects of the story - pictures, witness accounts, rumours etc., whether they admit it or not.

Well, I noted that when Global showed the story yesterday they actually blurred the girl's face for some wierd reason. She's in Kentucky! Why are you blurring her face!? Meanwhile, ABC news showed multiple pictures of her while speculating that her boyfriend could be charged with statutory rape.

Well, I noted that when Global showed the story yesterday they actually blurred the girl's face for some wierd reason. She's in Kentucky! Why are you blurring her face!? Meanwhile, ABC news showed multiple pictures of her while speculating that her boyfriend could be charged with statutory rape.

I'll top that one...

It was yesterdays news feed on my phone under Yahoo. The story started with a picture and her face was blurred. Next line had a video of them, no blurs to be seen.

Young girl will know enough to lie, unless she can use it to weasel out of some charges....so maybe...just maybe