Some special moments from this week

Many of us spend our time arguing here and get bound in endless disputes about the small things that separate us. But the killings of two Canadian Forces members had some very special moments, things worth noting.

Corporal Cirillo had several people around him after the shooting and before ambulances arrived. One woman was doing mouth to mouth, a man was doing chest compressions, others stood by to help and none of them knew if they were at risk too, none knew if the attack was over. The one that grabbed me though was the woman who knelt by his side and told him as he died that he was loved, that he was not alone. I think it is the older grey haired woman seen in many pictures of the scene. As a parent I would be so grateful to her if it was my child, to try to help him with his fright and pain in that way.

When Cirillos body was transported back home to Hamilton, the overpasses and roads were lined with people showing their respect. Reports said many people stopped on the highway, and stood by their cars as he passed.

A mosque in Cold Lake, Alberta was vandalized a couple days ago with anti-Muslim graffiti. (Cold Lake is a town of 10,000 close to the airbase that supplied the jets going to fight ISIS). The town responded with many offers of help to the Muslim community to clean up, and to tell them personally that they were valued neighbours and friends. But before that, soldiers and airmen from CFB Cold Lake came to the mosque and covered the graffiti.

I know these are small things. But they aren't. They are what makes this a great country. It makes me realize what a privilege it is to live here.

A mosque in Cold Lake, Alberta was vandalized a couple days ago with anti-Muslim graffiti. (Cold Lake is a town of 10,000 close to the airbase that supplied the jets going to fight ISIS). The town responded with many offers of help to the Muslim community to clean up, and to tell them personally that they were valued neighbours and friends. But before that, soldiers and airmen from CFB Cold Lake came to the mosque and covered the graffiti.

I didn't hear that before. That's a very positive response, well symbolic in its demonstration of the distinction that must be seen between the majority of Islam and radical groups like ISIS, in which men and women from the base will be combating in short order. To add, it further speaks to the ties between a Canadian Forces Base and its surrounding community, which doesn't surprise me.......By happenstance, the current Wing Commander, was born and raised in Cold Lake.....

Here is my concern with how well and/or serious Canada's leaders are at dealing with issues:

Canada is in a state of war with ISIS.

The "threat level" was increased from "low" to "medium" the day prior.

There are 90ish people within Canada who the gov't says are security threats.

A soldier was killed days prior by an Islamic radical (?).

They were telling soldiers that they may be targeted and to not wear their uniforms out in public.

Why was this soldier standing there with an unloaded rifle? They may as well have painted a target on his uniform!

Why was this soldier standing there with an unloaded rifle? They may as well have painted a target on his uniform!

As stated in response to you in one of the other threads, Canadian Forces members are highly regulated with the employment of firearms, both at home and abroad.........The young Cpl was no more or no less a target than a gaggle of uniformed members waiting at a bus loop outside any base across Canada.

Here is my concern with how well and/or serious Canada's leaders are at dealing with issues:

Canada is in a state of war with ISIS.

The "threat level" was increased from "low" to "medium" the day prior.

There are 90ish people within Canada who the gov't says are security threats.

A soldier was killed days prior by an Islamic radical (?).

They were telling soldiers that they may be targeted and to not wear their uniforms out in public.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.