September 11 Plane diversions.

On 9/11 Bush ordered planes that were in the air over to Canadian air space. My fellow Americans don't think it was as big a deal as I think it is. What do you guys think about it?

I don't think it was a big deal either. It provided some anxiety for the airport staff, no doubt, and perhaps the smaller communities around it, but was inevatable. I'm sure planes were diverted to Mexico too, and I haven't heard a word about them.

To me, it's not so much that was bound to happen (planes being diverted) and that it had to happen somewhere, but that it happened with such kindness and outpouring of support merits a better understanding and acknowledgement that it has gotten.

In regards to Mexico and diverted planes, you must admit that the geographic area of Canada compared to Mexico means the lion's share of diverted planes came to Canada. Furthermore, the fact that small communities came together in a very short period of time to respond to a situation of that magnitude speaks volumes about the character of Canadians. Keep in mind, many of these communites are small and have limited resources and infrastructure to handle big scale emergencies.

I think they are unsung heroes.

Here are a few links:

http://www.theganderconnection.org/

http://groups.msn.com/TheRefugeesofAirFran...?pgmarket=en-us

http://www.ua929.org/

I don't think it was a huge deal but I think it is under-estimated. So many times People say Canada is not their for the U.S, but in a time of need, we easily put asside our differences and help out our nieghbors. We our not a soviet Canuckistan that enjoys seing our Friends in danger, in toruble, or being hurt, and when that happens we do help out, and that is something people should not forget.

I think it was a big deal for the air controllers. They did a great job with all that extra planes to land. They did a fantastic job during a very stressful time. The people in the communities were very helpful and fed and put up strangers. What is irritating is how quickly many American's forget what a difficult job these air controllers did.

:angry: I'm sick of the US bellyaching about Canada, and the previous US Ambassador was the worst one in that role of the lot of them.

Canada the perennial lapdog, role over boys and girls, is always there for the US - too bad the US is not always there for Canada.

The more diversification we achieve in our trading partners the better off we will be, and we need to start kicking some US butt. :blink:

Maybe when women take their rightful places in the corridors of power in this country, Canada might develop some backbone in their dealings with the Americans, rather that the sychophant positions of our current PM! :angry:

:angry: I'm sick of the US bellyaching about Canada, and the previous US Ambassador was the worst one in that role of the lot of them.
Yes, you strike me as the type who would be upset at hearing unpleasant truths.
The more diversification we achieve in our trading partners the better off we will be, and we need to start  kicking some US butt.  :blink:
Uh, yeaaaaah. Except the thing is we have a HUGE trade surplus with the US, while we have mostly trade deficits with other nations, like Japan and China. If the US was as unfair a trader as the Asians we'd be bankrupt. Fortunately, they are far more evenhanded in their trade practices than most nations.
Maybe when women take their rightful places in the corridors of power in this country, Canada might develop some backbone in their dealings with the Americans, rather that the sychophant positions of our current PM! :angry:
Yes, your hatred for America has been demonstrated often enough that we're all well familiar with it. Fortunately, since you aren't willing to spend a penny on the military we won't be declaring war on the Yanks any time soon. :lol:

On 9/11 Bush ordered planes that were in the air over to Canadian air space. My fellow Americans don't think it was as big a deal as I think it is. What do you guys think about it?

It is a big deal to Americans. Unfortunately we have been caught up in politics and the war effort, and have not acknowledge what Canadians did during that time. I myself (and I'm sure many Americans) forgot what the Canadian communities did, but does not mean we are unappreciative. That was awesome Canada! Thanks for reminding me!

Uh, yeaaaaah. Except the thing is we have a HUGE trade surplus with the US, while we have mostly trade deficits with other nations, like Japan and China. If the US was as unfair a trader as the Asians we'd be bankrupt. Fortunately, they are far more evenhanded in their trade practices than most nations.

Yeah, right; tell that to the logging and cattle community.

add tomato growers. We have just been too busy concentrating on trade with America. Time to spread our trade around. Never keep your eggs in one deteriorating basket.