Justin Trudeau & Red China

Guest Derek L

And what would give you that apparent opinion of myself? Is it because I partake in the scheme and/or because I don’t subscribe to the mantra that Government “gives us money”…….

Mostly, yes, that's what gives me that opinion of you. Is my opinion incorrect in this regard? Do you in fact oppose the existence of these tax incentives, then?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Justin Trudeau just funning the folks when he repeated his pot legalization policy with school children?

http://globalnews.ca/news/968753/justice-minister-blasts-trudeau-for-talking-pot-with-students/

Why would he talk to children about the dangers of pot use on their developing minds, but then state regulated pot would be safer for children?
Like the Justice Minister stated, I could see him speaking about his policy amongst adults, but high school students?
Does Trudeau not have “handlers” to control what he says? The guy writes the attack ads for the NDP and CPC. What an idiot. :lol:

He was asked a question, and he answered it, and hes right.

What's so difficult for you to understand........The Government doesn't "give" me or the CPC anything, I give taxes to them....big difference in thought there.

But let’s assume you’re right, well acknowledging that this is an equal income level credit as opposed to a deduction……….what is your point? Does the credit not work likewise for donations to the Liberals, Greens and NDP? What about other (charitable) organizations that donators receive credits for contributing to, are they also Government subsidized? What about tax exempt Churches? Does the Government of Canada subsidize organized religion in your view?

hmmm. some progress.

The POINT is:

The flow of tax dollars to the political parties... yes, all political parties ... is controlled by the donors, not the taxpayers. Since only 1.2 % of the population donates, this means that this flow is controlled by only 1.2% of the population. Thus the parties need to find wedge issues about which that 1.2% is sufficiently angry to continue the flow of money, even if those policies are unimportant, or even hurtful to the remaining 98% of the population.

How much smarter would it be to fund on a per-vote basis, where the public funding would be completely based on the popularity and desireability of policies to the WHOLE population, instead of to just 1.2%?

And yes, absolutesly the government subsidizes charites, and any entity holding a permission to issue "charitable organization" receipts, including religious entities. In exactly the same way. You give a "donation" for x amount of dollars. This "x" is made up of your out-of-pocket portion "y", and the government's portion "z"... and eventually the government reimburses you for "z" as your "tax credit".

What's so difficult for you to understand........The Government doesn't "give" me or the CPC anything, I give taxes to them....big difference in thought there.

What seems difficult for YOU to understand.... is that you do give the government taxes, all right, but that money flows through the government to many places.

One place where it "flows through" is my bank account as a tax credit and on to the political party of my choice as part of a "donation". The government did not give ME anything, but it certainly gave money... taxpayers money, YOUR money.... to the political party of MY choice, just because I chose to donate to it.

Similarly, it may not have given YOU anything, but it certainly gave the CPC money THROUGH you.

Edited by Icebound

Guest Derek L

One place where it "flows through" is my bank account as a tax credit and on to the political party of my choice as part of a "donation". The government did not give ME anything, but it certainly gave money... taxpayers money, YOUR money.... to the political party of MY choice, just because I chose to donate to it.

Similarly, it may not have given YOU anything, but it certainly gave the CPC money THROUGH you.

As I’ve been saying, the Government doesn’t give money to the political parties of mine or your choice, we do that……But good on you for being active in politics financially, much better then the per vote subsidy.

Guest Derek L

Mostly, yes, that's what gives me that opinion of you. Is my opinion incorrect in this regard? Do you in fact oppose the existence of these tax incentives, then?

I say more of indifference……much better then the per vote, direct, subsidy and the removal of donations from corporations and unions nonetheless.

I have to admit though, never really looked at is an incentive for Canadians to get involved with politics until you mentioned it.

Good point.

Derek

I have to admit, though, never really looked at is an incentive for Canadians to get involved with politics until you mentioned it.

Good point.

:) Mmmmm....parties take this money from taxpayers, through the donation scheme....to help us, and keep us interested in democracy......

I mean, it's not as if you actually believe this.

And it's interesting how libertarian-influenced principles about Government, and about taxpayers, so often fly out the window when the more important principle--partisanship!--enters into the conversation.

Guest Derek L

:) Mmmmm....parties take this money from taxpayers, through the donation scheme....to help us, and keep us interested in democracy......

I mean, it's not as if you actually believe this.

And it's interesting how libertarian-influenced principles about Government, and about taxpayers, so often fly out the window when the more important principle--partisanship!--enters into the conversation.

Oh contraire……..Tax breaks, credits and cuts are all very much Libertarian ethos……..You see, first one must have the belief that said monies is actually the individuals and not the Governments….

Oh contraire……..Tax breaks, credits and cuts are all very much Libertarian ethos……..You see, first one must have the belief that said monies is actually the individuals and not the Governments….

:lol: just how many different twists will this stoopid thread take?... will you take it?

As I’ve been saying, the Government doesn’t give money to the political parties of mine or your choice, we do that……But good on you for being active in politics financially, much better then the per vote subsidy.

You may have been sayinjg it.... but it is not the truth.

For every $1000 that a political party receives as "donations", the donors have donated only part of it (and are out-of-pocket for only part of it).

The rest of it came from the broad body of Canadian taxpayers.

You refuse to acknowledge that truth.

That brings up questions as to WHY....

Guest Derek L

You may have been sayinjg it.... but it is not the truth.

For every $1000 that a political party receives as "donations", the donors have donated only part of it (and are out-of-pocket for only part of it).

The rest of it came from the broad body of Canadian taxpayers.

You refuse to acknowledge that truth.

That brings up questions as to WHY....

My wife and I are also Canadian Taxpayers and the max credit we both receive for our political contributions does not equal 1% of our combined Federal and Provincial tax bills………it is our money.