Well, I don't see any Newfie news

Looks like the wheels are coming off the wagon for our premier.

Elected last October, his health minister just quit because of his management style.

Specifically, she quit because the premier made decisions affecting her portfolio without consulting her.

Add that to the public service strike of a few months ago and he'll end up being a one-term premier.

He is the typical one man show.

Their election campaign centered around him, and to tell you the truth, we got suckered.

The latest example is some of the interviews he gave after the recent health care conference. He kept saying "I did" this or "I got" that.

Their government came in and the public service went on strike, and he legislated them back to work.

Fees have gone up for just about everything, from car licences to driver's licences to ambulance fees.

And it appears to be getting worse.

Like with all things political, it depends on who you ask.

The province is in rough financial shape, apparently. It was a theme he trumpeted in the first months of his current mandate.

The budget, which I will admit contained a few good things like an increase in the number of police officers in the province, was a pretty doom and gloom one. Program cuts, fee increases, there were new medical facilities in the process of being built that were cancelled, etc.

As I said earlier, he appears to be a one man show. He's doing a lot of things to tick people off. He recently appointed his old law partner to the Port Authourity. That didn't go over too well.

The true barometer will be in March or April when the new budget comes down.

None taken. :)

The only chance is if Williams can put his money where his mouth is and get 100% of our oil revenues. As of now, unlike Alberta, we don't get most of the oil revenues, the feds do.

Add to that, what revenues we do get are clawed back in the equalization formula.

If he can fix that, and then around 2050 we can renegotiate a sensible deal on the Upper Churchill power deal, in which we get millions while Quebec gets hundreds of millions, and we can develop the Lower Churchill without a middleman, we might have a chance.

Seems like a tall order, doesn't it. <_<

I work with a newfie who is pretty well right off of the rock so I get ot hear a fair bit of the crap newfoundland has to put up with. You guys definately have been given the crappy end of a stick when it comes to your resources. It seems that everytime NFLD has a way of maybe becoming self sufficient, then some bone head higher up signs it away to a third party or agrees the feds should look after it. Hopefully you guys can get someone who doesn't bend over so easily in the future, cheers to ya out there.

None taken. :)

The only chance is if Williams can put his money where his mouth is and get 100% of our oil revenues. As of now, unlike Alberta, we don't get most of the oil revenues, the feds do.

Add to that, what revenues we do get are clawed back in the equalization formula.

If he can fix that, and then around 2050 we can renegotiate a sensible deal on the Upper Churchill power deal, in which we get millions while Quebec gets hundreds of millions, and we can develop the Lower Churchill without a middleman, we might have a chance.

Seems like a tall order, doesn't it. <_<

I thought you were supposed to have control of your resources. Wasn’t that one of the great liberal promises they would steal haprers pledge to give you control of oil if you re elected the liberals.

Or is that just like all the other promises of goodies that will take 10 years to see the light of day.

It is better to take all oil revenues from the east coast and squander in Ottawa so they can keep those votes. Kind of like killing 2 birds with 1 stone

According to the BNA Act, 1867, you're right.

However, in 1985, the Atlantic Accord was signed, in which the governments agree to develop the offshore resources for the good of Canada and of Newfoundland and Labrador in particular.

Here's a link if you're interested.

The beef is that as of now the feds get most of the revenues from the offshore.

What's so damaging about her decision and the fallout for Williams is that she was a STAR candidate in the last election.

Here are some of the details about her:

Former Auditor General Elizabeth Marshall has 23 years of experience in the provincial public service. She has served in several senior positions including Deputy Minister of Social Services and Deputy Minister of Works, Services, and Transportation. She served as the province’s Auditor General for a term of 10 years

Williams and the PC party made a big deal out of Marshall gettign elected and put her in one the most important portfolios, Health.

He's taking a beating on the provincial open line show. And now of course, they are both giving different versions of what happened.

Is Newfoundland mostly conservative province?, because you newfies have elected PCs more than Liberals. From 1972-1989, it was all conservative. Moores, Peckford, and Rideout.

Since Confederation in 1949, Big Blue Machine, is has gone like this:

Smallwood (L) 1949-1972

Moores (PC)1972-1979

Peckford (PC)1979-1989

Rideout (PC)1989

Wells (L) 1989-1996

Tobin (L) 1996-2000

Tulk (L) 2000

Grimes (L) 2000-2003

Williams (PC)2003 to present

It's been mostly Liberal.

Federally, 5 out of 7 ridings usually go red, while the 2 St. John's districts, usually go blue.

Yep.

Then for one term they both went Liberal, with Hickey and Payne. Since then, it's been PC/Conservative with Hearn and Doyle.

Hearn in particular has been pretty active in that area. He seems to be popular, although he was in a tight race last election, and he seems to be in the party's good books. Rumour has it that if the Conservatives come to power he would be our cabinet rep.

I've lived my whole life (with the exception of 9 months, when I was in Alberta) in the same district. First voted in 1992/93.

I usually vote Liberal, except in the last provincial election where, much to my chagrin, I voted PC as I felt we needed a change in Newfoundland government.

When I first started voting I voted Liberal because that's the way my parents voted, but now it is my choice and I still vote that way, for the most part. It helps federally that I really like the Liberal member for here, John Efford.

Also, I just can't bring myself to vote for Stephen Harper and the Conservative party, even though I like some of their Defence policies. A lot of the rest of their platform isn't appealing to me.

I see you're not yet old enough to vote Big Blue Machine, but where do your political tendencies lean? (I haven't been around long enough to really get a good gauge on it).

I lean towards to the Conservatives. But I think I'm a Red Tory on some issues.

In the 2004 election, I would have voted for Harper, because I think Canada needed a change. I didn't like the campaign of fear by the Liberals. The Liberals didn't win the election, but the Conservatives lost it.

• 5 months later...

Little update on Newfie News. :D

Unless he tanks badly in the next couple of years, Williams is going to get re-elected.

86% of Voters Satisfied with Williams

Funny what a little tussle with the Feds will do for your image at home. <_<

In a further bid for re-election,

Williams loosens purse strings for Labrador

The provincial government will spend at least $56 million dollars in the upcoming provincial budget for projects in Labrador.

Premier Danny Williams made the announcements following a Tuesday cabinet meeting in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

The list includes more than a dozen projects, including more than $40 million for the next phase of the Trans-Labrador Highway.

The projects also include funding for a study to upgrade the hospital in Labrador City, money to defray travel from Labrador West to Happy Valley-Goose Bay for medical reasons, and funds to prevent Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

As well, three social workers will be hired to work in Natuashish, the Innu community where residents say promises of commitments for social services have not yet been met.