CDC study finds no benefit to salt reduction

I admit to being a salt addict. I like salty things even more than sweet things. I do think sugar consumption is way too high and sugar is a killer if over-consumption continues over a long period. What's over-consumption? Entirely a personal matter and some have a higher tolerance than others but I don't even consider raw sugar to be a food. Can't say I don't eat it though.

I have never thought salt was a big problem and have never moderated or curtailed my intake because of health concerns, as I do with sugar, but of course there is a limit to salt intake as with any food.

I remember my great Aunt who at dinner one night mentioned she had to cut out salt as it contributed to water-retention. I had read Dr. Atkins and been on the Atkins diet and thought well if you want to reduce water-retention just stop eating simple sugars and starches. Salt? Really? I, of course never mentioned it to her as it was her Doctor's advice and I would not want to override that.

I have mentioned too that I use butter and have never used margarine except for a short period in the seventies. Most of them were made with hydrogenated oils which today have been proven to be unhealthy.

I think what I got from Atkins was that there are different kinds of calories and the body will use them according to the ease with which they supply energy. Simple carbs and sugars are broken down easily by the body and supply an instant energy boost, what isn't used is stored as fat, which is another source of calories, and more easily used than calories from protein which takes a lot for the body to break down and are thus not the preferred source of energy for the body yet is essential to provide all the amino acids it needs for healthy cell-building

Just my theory. Here's an article on the salt study.

http://kfor.com/2013/07/09/cdc-admits-long-standing-error-there-is-no-benefit-in-reducing-salt/

Edited by Pliny

Point of the article, showing this thread's title is misleading:

One study from 2011, followed 28,800 subjects with high blood pressure ages 55 and older. The study followed them for 4.7 years and measured their salt intake through urinalysis. The report stated the risks of heart attacks, strokes, congestive heart failure and death from heart disease increased significantly for those consuming more than 7,000 milligrams of sodium a day and for those consuming fewer than 3,000 milligrams of sodium a day.

Basically, the report says that consuming anything between 1-1/2 and 3 tsp of salt per day is just fine, and there were adverse effects from eating more than that or less than that.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Always skeptical of these things.

Study shows salt is bad.

Study shows salt is good.

In time we will see another study where it will show salt is bad for you.

Are eggs good or bad for us this week? I've seen it change so often that I can no longer keep track.

The study shows that far too much salt, and far too little salt, are both bad for you. As long as you stay in a healthy mid-zone you'll be ok.

"Basically, the report says that consuming anything between 1-1/2 and 3 tsp of salt per day is just fine, and there were adverse effects from eating more than that or less than that."

Three tsps per day? Does any one eat that much let alone on a continual basis.

There are a few other things to consider, of course, like your climate. If it is hot one may need to replace salt more than in a cold climate.

Yes, a healthy mid zone is determined by this study to be best but will the doctor's advice continue to be to reduce your salt intake to a minimum?

Edited by Pliny

Yes, a healthy mid zone is determined by this study to be best but will the doctor's advice continue to be to reduce your salt intake to a minimum?

As much salt as companies put in our food nowadays I think if you eat healthy you'd still have plenty of salt in your diet. So I avoid foods with a lot of salt in it, because quite frankly many companies put disgusting amounts of salt in their foods.

As much salt as companies put in our food nowadays I think if you eat healthy you'd still have plenty of salt in your diet. So I avoid foods with a lot of salt in it, because quite frankly many companies put disgusting amounts of salt in their foods.

This could be true. I don't buy or eat a lot of prepared foods so don't think I get much that way. I ignore low sodium options that are offered as a choice. Soups and salad dressings come to mind which I have very occasionally, once or twice a month perhaps. I have raw vegetables for lunch without a salad dressing along with some sort of protein. A smoothie with fruit and vegetables for breakfast or eggs. I used to eat just eggs for breakfast with salt, of course, but got a nutri-bullet so decided to try smoothies, I think I may go back to mainly eggs.

Sounds like you eat pretty well! Good for you. I love smoothies, but usually just buy them, I should get myself one of those nutri-bullets.

I eat a little too much sugar for my liking. None would be best but I usually have a few happy hour rum and cokes on Friday and can't get a coffee at Tim Horton's without some sort of doughnut, luckily it isn't too often.

The nutribullet is pretty good for the price, I guess. Quick and easy to clean up. I like it.The best price I could find was Canadian Tire. They have it on sale sometimes for $99.