Zose clevah Chermanz

Time to drop the brain drain and strengthen our environmental policy.

Angela Merkel will make a special visit to Halifax this week to highlight the work of climate scientists, a stop that underscores the German Chancellor’s focus on science and the environment in a summer when those same issues are dogging Canada’s Prime Minister.

Georg Juergens, the deputy head of mission at the German embassy in Ottawa, said the aim of the visit is to highlight the importance of science as a driver of future growth.

“We always like to include a talk with students or have an event at a university when we do visits like these, because if you talk one leader to another that’s all very fine, but you have to have an impact as well,” he said.

“Universities are our futures. Canada and Germany are both knowledge societies. We are a relatively small amount of people and we need to have an above average amount of brains.”

Merkel’s visit to climate scientists heightens contrast with PM on environment policy

Time to drop the brain drain and strengthen our environmental policy.

Here we go. I can barely afford my energy bills now! I guess I am going to freeze in the dark, with nothing but the cold comfort I made SOMEONE ELSE feel all warm and fuzzy for saving the planet!

Here we go. I can barely afford my energy bills now! I guess I am going to freeze in the dark, with nothing but the cold comfort I made SOMEONE ELSE feel all warm and fuzzy for saving the planet!

What, are you running a grow op or something? Really, you can barely afford your energy bills? Have to choose between food and heating your home? Funny how those Chermans, with much more expensive energy costs don't all freeze in the dark.

Edited by Canuckistani

There is no F*CKING WAY any foreign entity (private or public) should control or own any part of the utilities in Canada.

Also, there is no way Canada should help to bail out the Eurozone. And there is no way we need to get into a free trade agreement with the Eurozone. The whole Eurozone is very unstable and if we get involved, the money will just be sucked out of this country.

Merkel should be shown the door and thrown back to Germany.

Edited by GostHacked

Not really sure if Germany is really in a position to lecture anybody about environmental policy.

While they should be given some credit for their use of wind/solar power, much of their success in meeting Kyoto's requirements for carbon reductions was due to the merger of East and West Germany (and the subsequent shutdown/clean up of East germany's inefficient industries.)

Not that I don't think carbon emissions should be ignored.