The official, what’s your favourite and my wife won’t let me get this

Guest Derek L

Guest Derek L

What about the 1911 variants that are chambered in 9mm? Is that a good compromise? It looks a good way of not having to choose between the ultra-rugged design and the more popular/affordable ammo. Or is the 45ACP a major part of what makes the 1911 special?

I’ve never owned a 1911 chambered in 9mm, but have heard about them……….I’d question how/hot the gases were and if it degrades the performance in terms of kicking the slide back (A very real issue with .22lr 1911 with a functioning slide)

I say if you wanted a “1911 in 9mm”, get it’s little brother the Browning Hi-Power

As to 9mm vs 45ACP........It is true due to the smaller size of the 9mm cartridge, you can indeed have higher capacity magazines when contrasted with the 45ACP………With that said, police and military organizations operating the 9mm teach their recruits to put two shots on target, or “Double Tap”…………So that Glock 17, 17 round load is halved or about equal with the 1911.……..Now if a 45 ACP ball round makes contact with a person in the head or chest cavity, there’s certainly no need for a follow-up………

As to the gun itself, I would suggest due to the nature of it’s (single action, dual safety) design (With a Beretta 92 in second place) it’s the safest (in terms of operator error) semi-auto ever made……Coupled with a 101 year track record of usage, demonstrating it’s reliability

Yes, the ammo is expensive in a per round cost, but as I said above, when contrasted with 9mm (and .40 S&W), more bang for your buck……… ;)

Also, why an older glock? Are the newer ones crappy?

To say gen 4 Glocks are crappy is being polite......run away from them.

A couple of questions: as I'm interested in all this Commie surplus stuff, chances are pretty good I'm going to be shooting corrosive ammo at some point. I have read that it's very important to clean your gun right after shooting with that stuff. I've also read that in addition to oil, you need to pre-clean with water, Windex, or some blend of water and Windex, or ... well, I've seen several different stories. Do you have any corrosive ammo advice?

I just field strip it, use a commercial gun solvent and a toothbrush, then give it a real good oiling……….I’ve known many that only clean the things once a year, whether it needs it or not……..Though I would not recommend that, as long as you get an actual Russian SKS (Not Chinese or Eastern European) it will have a chrome lined barrel, which will last near forever……..Most Surplus ammo isn’t corrosive anymore though, but is “hot” hence leaving the inside of the chamber/barrel really dirty.

On a similar note: it might be hard (or at least expensive) to buy anything other than FMJ for my Soviet guns. That's fine for my purposes for the time being... but supposing I want to shoot a deer or a zombie some day... is it possible to turn an FMJ into a JSP using a Dremel, file, knife, etc? Or would that just be asking for a face full of shrapnel?

-k

I wouldn’t suggest it at all, since there’s a very good possibility that doing such free handed wouldn’t equal the same quality or precision as a machine…….One little piece of copper bent outward and not visible to the human eye could catch on the rifling and seriously damage the barrel and Kimmy…………If all you had were FMJ rounds, they will kill an animal shot in the head or vitals near instantly, but a better then even chance hit elsewhere causing the animal to bleed out……..As such, you’ll just have to track it……my advice would be to get closer to the animal prior to shooting……….

As for Zombies, Kimmy I’d have hoped you’d know by now that Zombies have to be shot in the head/brain, as such, an FMJ round ventilating the head will sufffice. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAAARGH, my license has still not arrived. The RCMP assure me that it's in progress at the BC CFO, but it has been that way for over a month. I read a warning on the local gun club's website to send in your renewal applications early because BC renewals are taking over 3 months right now. I'm now over the 2 month mark myself... this is getting ridiculous.

Hey, Derek, what do you know about home loading?

Supposing I had some 38 special cases lying around and I had this idea that I could make a heavy-bullet sub-sonic round for my lever-gun. Or that I could pull the FMJ bullets out of my 7.62x54r rounds and replace them with 30-cal hunting bullets? What kind of stuff would I need to get into that sort of thing?

-k

I hope I never have to kill an animal in self-defense. I've been hiking in increasingly remote areas, and the closest I've come to a bear is a black bear that was probably 200 yards away, and I was able to avoid a situation before he even saw me.

I just saw a black bear up close and personal for the first time this last weekend. Hiking just on the north shore mountains of Vancouver of all places. Was about 20m away. It glanced at us briefly then moved on. Where do you hike?

Guest Derek L

AAAARGH, my license has still not arrived. The RCMP assure me that it's in progress at the BC CFO, but it has been that way for over a month. I read a warning on the local gun club's website to send in your renewal applications early because BC renewals are taking over 3 months right now. I'm now over the 2 month mark myself... this is getting ridiculous.

That seems odd……..Has it been approved by the CFC yet, but just waiting on the BC CFO? (Good luck getting a hold of someone on the phone there!!)

The BC CFO is really dragging their feet……..My daughter just got her ATT and restricted transfer approved……..of course she left for Kingston during the last week of August, as such will have to wait till she comes home for Thanksgiving……..And I sold a handgun to a guy from Alberta, and his transfer was approved in a mater of days (Alberta CFO), but my father (12.6 Licence) bought a Walther PPK from a guy in Manitoba during the first week of August, the Manitoba CFO approved it in a mater of days, but he’s still waiting on BC…………

The only thing I could think of (and have heard in the Rumint) is that a lot of people, with the demise of the LGR, are getting their licences………….I was at Wholesale Sports in Langley last night, and was talking to one of the girls behind the counter about the availability of both SKS and 10/22 (The neighbour is looking for them) .……..They said they should be getting a shipment of Rugers in a couple of months, but they just went through a shipment (in Langley) of just under 200 SKS………..It might be an idea, if the you talk to the local dealer where you plan to get your Nagant, is to explain your situation and ask if your could purchase it and just not take possession of it until you get your licence.

Hey, Derek, what do you know about home loading?

Supposing I had some 38 special cases lying around and I had this idea that I could make a heavy-bullet sub-sonic round for my lever-gun. Or that I could pull the FMJ bullets out of my 7.62x54r rounds and replace them with 30-cal hunting bullets? What kind of stuff would I need to get into that sort of thing?

-k

I honestly don’t know a lot about it, and it’s one of the those things that my brother in-law and I plan to take a little workshop about prior to attempting………I wouldn’t rely on Youtube alone, for you could potentially damage your gun and yourself with poorly made loads………..As to your specific questions on the 7.62x54R……It’s very hard to find all the components (Primers, bullets etc) for Soviet ammo……plus, with the age of most surplus, I wouldn’t recommend reloading it (It would probably cost more to reload than buying surplus)………You best be suited to purchase commercial ammo for hunting (with Soviet rifles)

Where do you hike?

Without going into too much detail, I live in the southern interior. I'm a short drive from a lot of crown land. There are some forestry service roads I drive to and park, then hike up into the hills or along a creek canyon.

One of my favorite things is finding old ruins. I once discovered an abandoned homestead, and another time I found a mad trapper shed that's been abandoned for decades.

-k

Without going into too much detail, I live in the southern interior. I'm a short drive from a lot of crown land. There are some forestry service roads I drive to and park, then hike up into the hills or along a creek canyon.

One of my favorite things is finding old ruins. I once discovered an abandoned homestead, and another time I found a mad trapper shed that's been abandoned for decades.

-k

Cool, that always a lot of fun, just driving up into the hills and exploring :) Probably the coolest thing I've run across is an old plane crash site with parts of the fuselage still there. Apparently it was well known it was there, but I had no idea before hiking in that area. Also once found a guy sifting for gold from a stream, and he actually had quite a large bit of gold in his bucket.

That seems odd……..Has it been approved by the CFC yet, but just waiting on the BC CFO? (Good luck getting a hold of someone on the phone there!!)

As far as I can tell, that's the case.

I honestly don’t know a lot about it, and it’s one of the those things that my brother in-law and I plan to take a little workshop about prior to attempting………I wouldn’t rely on Youtube alone, for you could potentially damage your gun and yourself with poorly made loads………..As to your specific questions on the 7.62x54R……It’s very hard to find all the components (Primers, bullets etc) for Soviet ammo……plus, with the age of most surplus, I wouldn’t recommend reloading it (It would probably cost more to reload than buying surplus)………You best be suited to purchase commercial ammo for hunting (with Soviet rifles)

I'm thinking that the 7.72x54r is so similar to the .30-06 that the bullets might be a drop-in replacement... and I suspect there's an endless variety of high-quality bullets made for .30-06 reloaders. The primer would be a nuisance, but not if you started with unfired rounds.

I have been continuing to follow the Marlin lever-action quality issue. ("They moved production to a non-union shop in a Right To Work state! According to you guys, the quality ought to be unbeatable!" :lol: ) and the consensus is that they still kind of suck.

As I mentioned the Henry "Big-Boy" is now high on my list of alternatives, but the Rossi "R92" looks like an interesting possibility as well. Their version of the Winchester 1892 lever action comes in 357 mag and 44 mag (as well as some "antique" rounds) and is available with classy options like an octagonal barrel and case-hardened receiver, which I think are totally boss.

Know anything about Rossi? I understand that they've been purchased by a the Brazilian company that also owns Taurus revolvers, but as far as their reputation for quality and so-on, I'm not sure. Hopefully they haven't fired all the employees and moved the production to a non-union shop in a right-to-work state. :)

-k

As far as I can tell, that's the case.

I'm thinking that the 7.72x54r is so similar to the .30-06 that the bullets might be a drop-in replacement... and I suspect there's an endless variety of high-quality bullets made for .30-06 reloaders. The primer would be a nuisance, but not if you started with unfired rounds.

I have been continuing to follow the Marlin lever-action quality issue. ("They moved production to a non-union shop in a Right To Work state! According to you guys, the quality ought to be unbeatable!" :lol: ) and the consensus is that they still kind of suck.

As I mentioned the Henry "Big-Boy" is now high on my list of alternatives, but the Rossi "R92" looks like an interesting possibility as well. Their version of the Winchester 1892 lever action comes in 357 mag and 44 mag (as well as some "antique" rounds) and is available with classy options like an octagonal barrel and case-hardened receiver, which I think are totally boss.

Know anything about Rossi? I understand that they've been purchased by a the Brazilian company that also owns Taurus revolvers, but as far as their reputation for quality and so-on, I'm not sure. Hopefully they haven't fired all the employees and moved the production to a non-union shop in a right-to-work state. :)

-k

Well I was at Wholesale the other day, was looking at a Marlin .22lr bolt action (Forget the model) and a Savage both in the ~$230 range………….Stamped metal junk……..I’ve seen garbage cans with better QC……..

As to Rossi/Taurus, never owned one, but I’d tend to stay away from guns made in Brazil (And Turkey, Philippines, China etc)

Go with the Henry rifle if you don’t want to fork out over $1000 for a Winchester ‘94.

As to the Right to work States, doesn’t really mater, most of the components on cheaper “North American made firearms” are still made in the third world………Most of Remington’s firearms are made in (Union) Illinois and they still mange crapping out some lousy cheap guns...........Basically, the old adage holds true, you get what you pay for. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Someday, something chambered in 9mm is probably on the list. That could be a lot of different things. On the one hand there are Norinco-made Chinese police pistols, or Norinco versions of established guns in 9mm. Then there's the Ruger 9mm/357 combo revolver, which kind of appeals because I definitely plan on having a revolver and a lever-gun in 357.

But someday, if heaven forbid an SHTF scenario became a reality, a 9mm auto pistol and a 9mm pistol-chambered carbine would probably be pretty valuable. And if the pistol and the carbine had interchangeable magazines, that would be very handy.

-k

Like I was saying before, there is a utility to having a pistol calibre carbine that shares mags with a pistol……..From old cowboy guns to modern Beretta’s………..As to Glock itself, I won’t argue with their record since the 80s, I’m not a huge fan for personal reasons (I don’t like the feel or fit to my hands), and I just sold my last one. Police have been using them for decades, but due in part to issues with then Gen 4 Glock coupled with the very well designed and manufactured Smith & Wesson M&P lines, Police forces are switching to the Smith’s.

For a modern service pistol, I’d say either get a Glock Gen 3 (or older), a Beretta 92 or the S&W M&P 9mm………My wife and I both love our M&P’s and Beretta's........All three makers have good records.

With that said, I doubt either three will still be in major use 100 years from now when the 1911 is celebrating it’s bicentennial of service

As to the gun itself, I would suggest due to the nature of it’s (single action, dual safety) design (With a Beretta 92 in second place) it’s the safest (in terms of operator error) semi-auto ever made……Coupled with a 101 year track record of usage, demonstrating it’s reliability

It's a sign from the (Pirate) gods no doubt Kimmy:

2012-2017: US Army Orders up to 100,000 M9 Pistols

The M9 = Beretta 92F………………So the US Marines and Army are replacing their metal framed 1911s and M9/92’s with metal framed 1911s and M9/92’s……….

Hey Derek. Still no news. :( The RCMP lady assured me that it's just that the BC CFO is completely swamped right now. This is completely retarded. We're closing in on 3 months for a process they said typically takes 45 days. I'm not sure if the BC CFO staff are part of the provincial employees that have been involved in the one-day strikes, but if they are that can't be helping either.

Do you know anything about 45 Long Colt ammo?

I've mentioned my interest in getting a "cowboy" set of guns... a SAA style revolver, a lever action rifle, and maybe even a "Mare's Leg" all in matching caliber. And I had been thinking that .357 would be the way to go, but there might be a better variety available in 45LC, maybe due to the popularity of cowboy-action shooting.

The downside is that 45LC ammo appears to be kind of expensive and is probably not easy to find at the local shops. On the other hand, it appears to be pretty versatile, as there are loads ranging everywhere from low-powered rounds for cowboy-action shooting to high-power rounds that are in the same league as 44 magnum. I've also read that a gun chambered for 45LC can fire shot-shells made for 44 magnums, and read reloaders boasting that their home-load 45LC shot-shells are more powerful than .410 shotgun shells.

I'm still thinking .357 would probably be the most practical choice, but some of the stuff I have read about 45LC sounds pretty intriguing.

I just finished watching the first season of "Hell On Wheels", which is a drama set right after the Civil War, at the rolling "town" that accompanied the construction of the Union Pacific railroad. (it was essentially a town was made of tents and wagons, and so full of vice and violence that an eastern visitor declared it to be "Hell, on wheels", originating the phrase.)

The main character of the show packs an 1860 Army cap-and-ball revolver, and an 1866 Winchester.

-k

Edited by kimmy

Hey Derek. Still no news. :( The RCMP lady assured me that it's just that the BC CFO is completely swamped right now. This is completely retarded. We're closing in on 3 months for a process they said typically takes 45 days. I'm not sure if the BC CFO staff are part of the provincial employees that have been involved in the one-day strikes, but if they are that can't be helping either.

Do you know anything about 45 Long Colt ammo?

I've mentioned my interest in getting a "cowboy" set of guns... a SAA style revolver, a lever action rifle, and maybe even a "Mare's Leg" all in matching caliber. And I had been thinking that .357 would be the way to go, but there might be a better variety available in 45LC, maybe due to the popularity of cowboy-action shooting.

The downside is that 45LC ammo appears to be kind of expensive and is probably not easy to find at the local shops. On the other hand, it appears to be pretty versatile, as there are loads ranging everywhere from low-powered rounds for cowboy-action shooting to high-power rounds that are in the same league as 44 magnum. I've also read that a gun chambered for 45LC can fire shot-shells made for 44 magnums, and read reloaders boasting that their home-load 45LC shot-shells are more powerful than .410 shotgun shells.

I'm still thinking .357 would probably be the most practical choice, but some of the stuff I have read about 45LC sounds pretty intriguing.

I just finished watching the first season of "Hell On Wheels", which is a drama set right after the Civil War, at the rolling "town" that accompanied the construction of the Union Pacific railroad. (it was essentially a town was made of tents and wagons, and so full of vice and violence that an eastern visitor declared it to be "Hell, on wheels", originating the phrase.)

The main character of the show packs an 1860 Army cap-and-ball revolver, and an 1866 Winchester.

-k

You’re not the only one scratching their heads over the BC CFO……………..My advice, call your local MP……Many are over the feet dragging taking place……..If you have Tory MP it might help better than a NDP (or Liberal) for obvious reasons, but will also coincide nicely with the new effort under way to get rid of the ATT’s………..As for an NDP member (My MP is NDP) I love nothing better than calling and emailing (As my daughter did) every second day asking them for “help” on “getting a gun (transferred)”……….The reaction when my daughter phoned was priceless……..Over the phone you can hear them turning inside out. ;)

As a slight derail, we (Our family and a few neighbours) love phoning our NDP MP & MLA (we’ve got both) and quite seriously complain about everything and ask (In our most serious sounding tone) for their help and guidance………Back when the BCGEU had their one day strike a few weeks ago, we phoned and complained about the noise of the strikers……….The best though was my wife, who complained about the environmental impact of the flyers sent out by our NDP MP and the carbon footprint of all his yard signs during the last federal election, and two years prior, his by-election campaign……..The key, don’t come across as a kook or someone out for laughs, but as a person seriously looking for government to solve all their day-to-day problems………Socialists love it.

As to 45LC……..Yup it’s expensive, I have several guns chambered in 45 LC and 44/40 Win……….basically for a box of 50 rounds of 45 LC you’re looking at about ~$40.……357 MAG about ~$30 for 50, but with 357 MAG, you can also use 38 special for ~$20 for 50 rounds…………Nothing wrong with 45LC other than cost in my view……..

As to Hell on Wheels, I’ve seen a couple of episodes and liked it, but will wait till we can pick it up on DVD and sit down and watch the series back to back………That new show Revolution on NBC (made by J.J Abrams) looks promising mind you for "bunker builders" waiting for the "end times" :)

Stoeger.... needs competition.

Remember that Benelli SuperNova 12g that I "ordered" back in January? Still no sign or word from. So yesterday I cancelled my order, and bought the Browning BPS Stalker instead. I can't for the life of me understand why it takes a company 9+ mths to get a gun from a manufacturer.

I also made my last ever purchase from Le Baron, I got took on the price of the BPS. Shop around friends.

Stoeger.... needs competition.

Remember that Benelli SuperNova 12g that I "ordered" back in January? Still no sign or word from. So yesterday I cancelled my order, and bought the Browning BPS Stalker instead. I can't for the life of me understand why it takes a company 9+ mths to get a gun from a manufacturer.

I also made my last ever purchase from Le Baron, I got took on the price of the BPS. Shop around friends.

Don’t blame the manufacturer for Canada’s import restrictions……..It isn’t viable for gun makers to ship small orders to individual stores, but large shipments to gun brokers/wholesalers, then on to the various stores……Was your BPS made in the FN Herstal plant? Benelli, like Browning (Belgian made) guns are top notch………

As to the store/price, did you check out Wolverine?

I find a lot of local dealers mark up their guns about $50-60, or the cost of paying for shipping………..Wolverine is good though for online sales, it’s just with shipping, as I explain to my wife, it’s worth purchasing multiple “toys” to help lessen the shipping burden and spread it out. ;)

Don’t blame the manufacturer for Canada’s import restrictions……..It isn’t viable for gun makers to ship small orders to individual stores, but large shipments to gun brokers/wholesalers, then on to the various stores……Was your BPS made in the FN Herstal plant? Benelli, like Browning (Belgian made) guns are top notch………

As to the store/price, did you check out Wolverine?

I find a lot of local dealers mark up their guns about $50-60, or the cost of paying for shipping………..Wolverine is good though for online sales, it’s just with shipping, as I explain to my wife, it’s worth purchasing multiple “toys” to help lessen the shipping burden and spread it out. ;)

Good link.. thanks.

I'm blaming Stoeger, not Benelli. Though I was unaware that there were import restrictions. I ordered the Super Nova 12G. 24" in Synthetic, you can buy it all day long in the APG pattern (UUUUGLLY!) but not in the black synthetic, and it's all over the place in the US just as I want it as well. Perhaps I should give a shot to ordering it from there, but you know what a pain in the arse that is.

I talked to the dealer again yesterday and we're going to leave the order as is, I really want that gun. It will be interesting to see how long it takes, and of course my goose, turkey and duck needs are ok with the Stalker.

Went grouse hunting yesterday with my son and got the opportunity to let off a couple shots (2 3/4 7.5) with the new BPS, what a great gun, balanced and solid. Felt very similar to my sons BPS Micro in 20g despite the size difference.

Good link.. thanks.

I'm blaming Stoeger, not Benelli. Though I was unaware that there were import restrictions. I ordered the Super Nova 12G. 24" in Synthetic, you can buy it all day long in the APG pattern (UUUUGLLY!) but not in the black synthetic, and it's all over the place in the US just as I want it as well. Perhaps I should give a shot to ordering it from there, but you know what a pain in the arse that is.

I talked to the dealer again yesterday and we're going to leave the order as is, I really want that gun. It will be interesting to see how long it takes, and of course my goose, turkey and duck needs are ok with the Stalker.

Went grouse hunting yesterday with my son and got the opportunity to let off a couple shots (2 3/4 7.5) with the new BPS, what a great gun, balanced and solid. Felt very similar to my sons BPS Micro in 20g despite the size difference.

Stoeger = Benelli = Beretta (+Federal Ammo, Sako/Tikka and Uberti firearms)

Does your BPS take 3 1/2" magnums (For Turkeys) like the Benelli?

I love my Browning Auto-5 and am looking for a few others.......Not too sure about the Auto-5 reboot yet.....

Edited by Derek L

Stoeger = Benelli = Beretta (+Federal Ammo, Sako/Tikka and Uberti firearms)

Does your BPS take 3 1/2" magnums (For Turkeys) like the Benelli?

I love my Browning Auto-5 and am looking for a few others.......Not too sure about the Auto-5 reboot yet.....

I was under the impression that Stoeger was the importer/distributor for Benelli et al?

Yes, chambered for 3 1/2. I wasn't sold on the Stalker once I saw it, the synthetic is sort of a dark grey (I thought it was black) but it's the only model besides the camo'd pumps that handles the 3 1/2.

Do you use any of those fiber optic'y Hi-Viz sights on your shot guns? Was looking at the magnetic ones but have read absolutely horrible reviews on them, was thinking of taking the guns to a gunsmith and having it put on properly, I think it's a handy accessory...?

Edited by Shakeyhands

I was under the impression that Stoeger was the importer/distributor for Benelli et al?

Beretta bought them to help facilitate importing their products into North America.

Yes, chambered for 3 1/2. I wasn't sold on the Stalker once I saw it, the synthetic is sort of a dark grey (I thought it was black) but it's the only model besides the camo'd pumps that handles the 3 1/2.

Was it made in Belgium or South Korea/Japan?

Do you use any of those fiber optic'y Hi-Viz sights on your shot guns? Was looking at the magnetic ones but have read absolutely horrible reviews on them, was thinking of taking the guns to a gunsmith and having it put on properly, I think it's a handy accessory...?

Aside from my son's Mossy 590A1 (Ghost Rings), all my shotguns have plain Jane beads.....I don't really shoot slugs and IMV, if I want something more accurate, I just use a rifle.

I did try Fibre Optic sights on my old IPSC Kimber 1911, but didn’t think they were anything to jump up and down over and removed them.

Beretta bought them to help facilitate importing their products into North America.

Was it made in Belgium or South Korea/Japan?

Aside from my son's Mossy 590A1 (Ghost Rings), all my shotguns have plain Jane beads.....I don't really shoot slugs and IMV, if I want something more accurate, I just use a rifle.

I did try Fibre Optic sights on my old IPSC Kimber 1911, but didn’t think they were anything to jump up and down over and removed them.

Well there you go... I learned something!

Box says.......... Made in Japan.

Well there you go... I learned something!

Box says.......... Made in Japan.

What’s the warranty like? Not to sound like a jerk, but unless a Browning says along the left side of the barrel or receiver:

FABRIQUE NATIONALE D’ARMES DE GUERRE HERSTAL-BELGIQUE

ACIER SPECIAL

You’ve got a overpriced Remington Express/Mossberg…………The Japanese/South Korean produced guns use a much poorer standard of steel in their construction and will develop issues feeding/extracting shells as the gun heats up………I’d take it back and wait for the Benelli…….Or pick-up a Remington Wingmaster.

What’s the warranty like? Not to sound like a jerk, but unless a Browning says along the left side of the barrel or receiver:

FABRIQUE NATIONALE D’ARMES DE GUERRE HERSTAL-BELGIQUE

ACIER SPECIAL

You’ve got a overpriced Remington Express/Mossberg…………The Japanese/South Korean produced guns use a much poorer standard of steel in their construction and will develop issues feeding/extracting shells as the gun heats up………I’d take it back and wait for the Benelli…….Or pick-up a Remington Wingmaster.

Great.... pulling it out now....

Suuuuuuuurvey says..... Made in Japan/Miroku

Browning Manufacturing Facilities

Looks like the Miroku plant does most of their Rifles and Shotguns now, including the Citori's...

Great.... pulling it out now....

Suuuuuuuurvey says..... Made in Japan/Miroku

Browning Manufacturing Facilities

Looks like the Miroku plant does most of their Rifles and Shotguns now, including the Citori's...

The Browning firearms produced in Japan are made in the same factory that produces Weatherby & Winchester pump guns…………You wouldn’t pay over $500 for one of their guns right?

I’ve owned Browning X/T/A-Bolt rifles produced in Japan, and all you’re paying (double) for is the name. :(

The Browning firearms produced in Japan are made in the same factory that produces Weatherby & Winchester pump guns…………You wouldn’t pay over $500 for one of their guns right?

I’ve owned Browning X/T/A-Bolt rifles produced in Japan, and all you’re paying (double) for is the name. :(

Well to be honest, I only paid $535 for this one... :D

I figure it's a good shooter for Ducks and Geese and the odd Turkey before the Benelli comes in. Plus I don't care if I bang it off a gunnel in the mean time.

I'll tell you what, before the next purchase I'll confer with you, I'll be lookig for a 30-06 (R1????) next.

Optics.... def need help there.

Well to be honest, I only paid $535 for this one... :D

I figure it's a good shooter for Ducks and Geese and the odd Turkey before the Benelli comes in. Plus I don't care if I bang it off a gunnel in the mean time.

That’s not too bad then…….They’re not junk, don’t get me wrong, just overpriced for what they are……….Remington did the same thing with the “870 Express” & “700 SPS” line……basically made a bastardized version of a classic to compete with Savage, Mossberg, Norinco, Marlin and all the other “cheaper brands”……..ultimately you get what you pay for……….And though a gun in hand is better than nothing, I’d suggest forking out ~$1000+ for one that will last decades……..

I'll tell you what, before the next purchase I'll confer with you, I'll be lookig for a 30-06 (R1????) next.

For under ~$1000 in a Bolt Action, get a Ruger M77.….Over ~$1000 in a BA Remington 700 XCR or Sako 85

For a Semi-Auto under $1000 a Ruger Mini-30.………Over ~$1000 and for hunting, to be honest, not really sure, I only use Bolt Action or my old Amish Machine Gun (Pump 760)……..I love my MR-1, but I don’t know too much about the R-1.…..I heard they’re trigger is essentially Benelli’s shotgun trigger (ie heavy pull)……..

Optics.... def need help there.

Leupold is your friend.....start with their least expensive "Rifleman line", then work your way up :D

• 2 months later...

Awwwww yeah, my license finally arrived! That's right, bitches! I'm Glenn Beck's worst nightmare: An atheist with a gun!

Welll, I don't actually have a gun yet. I'm going to visit my local shop tomorrow to see if their on-again/off-again supply of SKS carbines is "on-again", and see if they have a Ruger 10/22 as well. I plan to order my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 after I return from my Christmas adventures, because the idea of stuff arriving by courier while I'm away creeps me out for some reason.

-k