The Veil? Fergetaboutit! Ban the hoodie!~

Guest Peeves

Guest American Woman

On the original IMDb soapbox boards we used a ~ or tilde, " : the mark tilde used to indicate negation in logic", so as to denote a tongue in cheek, jest or sarcastic entry.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-US&hl=en&q=IMDb+site

Cachinnating OP, speaks for itself.

I have to admit, I didn't know what any of that meant. I did think it was a rather odd stand for you to take, but some of the responses were interesting.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Peeves

I have to admit, I didn't know what any of that meant. I did think it was a rather odd stand for you to take, but some of the responses were interesting.

Yes indeed they were and an interesting exercise. In original post, Cachinnating "Definition of CACHINNATE

intransitive verb

: to laugh loudly or immoderately.

I was looking for an April Fooler, saw none, took up the gauntlet. Besides I not infrequently play the Devil's advocate and some times the doofus. Breaks the monotony.. ;)

There is a 3rd option. Wearing the hoodie because it's chilly out. Next thing you are going to go after touques and baseball hats. Think I am nuts? If this is banned, watch out for the others to follow.

It's not about catching criminals, it's about the government wanting to tell you what to do .. control.

In point of fact, if it's cold enough that you'd want something over your head, it's too cold to be wearing a hoodie. Hoodies are usually attached to sweatshirt like garments. That means the hood is relatively useless against the cold. And I can't honestly say I've ever seen anyone wearing one with the hood up more than once or twice except on all those crime video shows, where I see them worn constantly - by criminals. That's because if it's that cold you're almost certainly wearing something better than a stupid sweatshirt. I myself have a parka with a hood. Mind you, even in the winter, I rarely find it cold enough to actually put the hood up, and I would certainly never keep it up when going indoors.

Guest Peeves

In point of fact, if it's cold enough that you'd want something over your head, it's too cold to be wearing a hoodie. Hoodies are usually attached to sweatshirt like garments. That means the hood is relatively useless against the cold. And I can't honestly say I've ever seen anyone wearing one with the hood up more than once or twice except on all those crime video shows, where I see them worn constantly - by criminals. That's because if it's that cold you're almost certainly wearing something better than a stupid sweatshirt. I myself have a parka with a hood. Mind you, even in the winter, I rarely find it cold enough to actually put the hood up, and I would certainly never keep it up when going indoors.

I think the hooded cobra demonstrates that a hoodie is to be frightened of.

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/king-cobra.html

Beyond that they're for rappers, rippers and wannabeeeeees!

Sure sure, equate this to everyone who wears a hoodie is a criminal.

You're twisting it, GH! No one said "everyone who wears a hoodie is a criminal". He said the only people he's seen wear one are criminals on TV.

That being said, there is no doubt that hoodies ARE worn in some circles as an attempt to hide identity. The style IS from gangsta rap!

So it is obvious that there are indeed some folks wearing hoodies who are dangerous. The numbers may be a very small percentage but so what? No doubt the percentage of Afghanis who are terrorists is very small. Does that mean any allied soldier walking through a village should take no precautions?

It's as if in McDonald World everyone decided it would be cool to dress the same as the Hamburglar! How can you tell who is the REAL Hamburglar? How do you avoid having your hamburger stolen, perhaps being beaten up in the process?

The answer is of course, you can't. So what do you do? Tell yourself the odds are low and not worry about it?

Many human beings just don't work that way. What's more, scolding them is not likely to make them change.

Guest Manny

I like my hoodie in the winter because when I don't have the hood up, it covers my neck and keeps me warm. I wear a jacket over the top of it. I usually wear a baseball hat. When the wind blows, I pull the hoodie up over my baseball hat. Works fine for me. It's also convenient when we play ball hockey outdoors. Lots of people who play sports in my small town, also do this. Most of us are farm boys.

You're twisting it, GH! No one said "everyone who wears a hoodie is a criminal". He said the only people he's seen wear one are criminals on TV.

That being said, there is no doubt that hoodies ARE worn in some circles as an attempt to hide identity. The style IS from gangsta rap!

Hoddies have been around long before rap was even a genre.

So it is obvious that there are indeed some folks wearing hoodies who are dangerous. The numbers may be a very small percentage but so what? No doubt the percentage of Afghanis who are terrorists is very small. Does that mean any allied soldier walking through a village should take no precautions?

Does it also mean banning the hoodie?

It's as if in McDonald World everyone decided it would be cool to dress the same as the Hamburglar! How can you tell who is the REAL Hamburglar? How do you avoid having your hamburger stolen, perhaps being beaten up in the process?

You are using this as an analogy? Really?

The answer is of course, you can't. So what do you do? Tell yourself the odds are low and not worry about it?

Many human beings just don't work that way. What's more, scolding them is not likely to make them change.

Banning something won't change that fact either. And if we get into some of the other threads, it's the cops, aka agent provocateurs who are the ones wearing the hoodies starting the violence.

Guest Peeves

I didn't catch on to the thread being a joke, because had just finished reading about how they ARE banning hoodies in the UK. I assumed this thread was going to be about that. When it wasn't, I was confused.

Funny, you don't look like Confucius.

Ya know on Superman movies, Smallville, comic books, you never see veils, headresses in Metropolis

Or hoodies :lol: :lol: But then, they have telephone booths --- that is unreal.--- I can believe in Superpowers (people in church do all the time) but I can't believe there telephone booths--- Superman movies are unreal

Edited by Tilter

I think the hooded cobra demonstrates that a hoodie is to be frightened of.

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/king-cobra.html

Beyond that they're for rappers, rippers and wannabeeeeees!

What I think Peeves and I are saying is that in a particular context, clothing can be a sign of rebellion, disrespect and possible danger.

What I think Peeves and I are saying is that in a particular context, clothing can be a sign of rebellion, disrespect and possible danger.

but 99.999% of the time an article of clothing (the hoodie) is used to keep the chilly wind off at the beach....

You people are so scared of everything.... it's a wonder you leave the frickin' house!! :lol:

So you're saying that you've never seen a construction worker? Hoodies are the de facto uniform on construction sites. When I was in construction I had a large collection of hoodie's. In fact many were given to me by suppliers we used, as a promotional item. Really, only gangstas wear hoodies, what a load of totally fallacious crap. I still wear hoodies to this day, this winter thats all I wore. Even my favourite winter coat is styled very much like a hoodie, its a Tough Duck canvas construction coat. Hoodies are a great garment, warm and comfortable.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Or hoodies :lol: :lol: But then, they have telephone booths --- that is unreal.--- I can believe in Superpowers (people in church do all the time) but I can't believe there telephone booths--- Superman movies are unreal

not true! Before Clark Kent became Superman in Smallville he was The Blur and he wore a hooded coat. Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow wore a hood also

So you're saying that you've never seen a construction worker? Hoodies are the de facto uniform on construction sites. When I was in construction I had a large collection of hoodie's. In fact many were given to me by suppliers we used, as a promotional item. Really, only gangstas wear hoodies, what a load of totally fallacious crap. I still wear hoodies to this day, this winter thats all I wore. Even my favourite winter coat is styled very much like a hoodie, its a Tough Duck canvas construction coat. Hoodies are a great garment, warm and comfortable.

Yeah but do you have a variety of gangsta rap on your ipod? heh

Yeah but do you have a variety of gangsta rap on your ipod? heh

Nah, I like music, not that drivel and garbage. Dont own an I Pod, dont want to own an ipod either, you know that I enjoy good sound which is something an ipod and MP3's cannot deliver.By the way, I bought a set of those PSB Alpha's we were talking about in another thread, they're on the girlfriends system and they sound excellent. Given their very reasonable price they just can't be beat, if you get the chance to buy some I would very highly recomend them.

Nah, I like music, not that drivel and garbage. Dont own an I Pod, dont want to own an ipod either, you know that I enjoy good sound which is something an ipod and MP3's cannot deliver.By the way, I bought a set of those PSB Alpha's we were talking about in another thread, they're on the girlfriends system and they sound excellent. Given their very reasonable price they just can't be beat, if you get the chance to buy some I would very highly recomend them.

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot about that. To be honest with 256kb compression and an excellent set of headphones, the sound isn't perfect but it's great for portability. I never ended up getting the speakers we were discussing because shipping is insanely expensive and it's tough to find a quality stereo shop where I am in New Brunswick. I'll make a trip down to Halifax eventually and get some though. I still appreciate the advice. [/off_topic]