PM baling on BC

Local News Is PM Already Bailing on Promises for BC?

August 05, 2004 - 7:51 am

By: Tammy Moyer

Just over a month in office and already the new Prime Minister is being accused of breaking his vow to BC. According to the Vancouver Sun, Paul Martin is leaving western provinces out of the new maritime helicopter contract payday. With only a quarter the population of western Canada, Atlantic provinces will get a billion dollars worth of work, Ontario 2-billion, and Quebec under a billion. As for the west, BC and the prairies will be left to split just under 390-million.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why pick on Paul Martin for not using BC contractors; our own government prefers to build Ferries in a foreign country and pay the federal government 150 million import duties for snubbing local shipyards and BC taxpaying shipyard workers. Gotta get those unions busted

Why pick on Paul Martin for not using BC contractors; our own government prefers to build Ferries in a foreign country and pay the federal government 150 million import duties for snubbing local shipyards and BC taxpaying shipyard workers. Gotta get those unions busted

Quite simple, we have one of the best aerospace industries in the world in BC and have many more resources than Atlantic Canada in that regard.

We do not have a ship building industry that builds large ferries.

Where is this hidden shipbuilding industry in BC caesar that can build large vessels?

BC does have a very viable ship building capability.

From the historic RCMP schooner the St. Roch, the first ship to circumnavigate North America in both directions, to the Liberty ships of the Second World War to today's modern Spirit class ferries, BC shipyards have proven our province and its workers can build among the finest ships in the world

There is no excuse; we do have the expertise and capability

Caesar, we had a major builder go bankrupt a few years back.

The Washington Group is the only big game in town and they outsource a major part of the building to China.

The Spirit class ferries are the small ones and they came in late and over budget.

The local ship yards would also not agree to a turn key contract.

Big deal. What government contracts do not come out over budget???? They take so long to plan and tender contracts that prices change.

More builders will go bankrupt if we do not use our own workers. Wonderful

The present government is not concerned with how over budget RAV will go; are they. 3 votes; democracy in triple action????? Keep voting until you get the results you want; little greasing the palm here and there. eh

Canada has the expertise to build anything. The one thing we can't do apparently is supply enough women to dance in the nude bars so we have to import them as well, just like our ferries. Do you think ferries and dancers both need to be imported?

I'm sure we could build anything we put our minds to, only problem being it would most likely cost more then if we bought it off the self..........

BC does have a very viable ship building capability.

I'm sorry caesar, but we don't. I've worked for the WMG, and I have friends who still "work" there (they are laid off right now mind you) and I can tell you, there is nothing viable about the entire organisation. I'm not saying that the couldn't build a ship, what I'm saying is that they couldn't build a ship on time or on budget.

Now if you don't believe me, ask yourself, why would SEASPAN (branch of Washington Marine Group) purchase half a dozen Korean made ships instead of building their own "in house"?

The Washington Group is the only big game in town and they outsource a major part of the building to China.

They are leasing to a Chinese company, but the ships are being built in Korea by either Hyandi or Samsung (forgot which one).

Big deal. What government contracts do not come out over budget????

Most do, but remeber, BC ferries is a private company, are you now saying they have to prop up industry in the Province?

Canada has the expertise to build anything. The one thing we can't do apparently is supply enough women to dance in the nude bars so we have to import them as well, just like our ferries. Do you think ferries and dancers both need to be imported? :lol:

well your forgetting 7/11 where the only thing imported is the guy behind the counter. But there is nothing wrong with importing what you can't build or can build somewhere else cheaper, maybe the girls are just cheaper MS.

But there is nothing wrong with importing what you can't build or can build somewhere else cheaper

But we can and have built our own ferries; Canadians need the jobs. This BC government prioritites seem to be to destroy all union jobs. They have steadily been selling off the control of our resources to foreign countries. They are sending our personla medical data and other government data out of BC for processing. WHY????

Now they must try to enact laws to prevent the USA's Homeland Security from sifting through all our data at will. Like our BC laws will stop them. Keep our data at home; I am sure there are many competent data companies in BC.

Campbell appears hell bent to finish what Mulroney started; selling out our Canadian resources to the USA.

He lowered the legal working age to 14. Campbell seems to be attempting to make the middle income class into third world minimum wage workers.

Caesar, you are all over the place. Can you please stay on topic.

This looks more like a drive by smear. Making a variety of unrelated comments, and spinning them to a negative, and then making ridiculous links.

One note, many of the companies we all work for are multinational companies. They don't stop at the boarder.

I am glad the people I work for around the world don't think like you or the only place I could work in is BC.

Our industries in BC would also have a very small market.

We have a large trade surplus in BC. This is where we get good union jobs from (i.e. pulp and paper, saw mills, oil and gas, mining) These are all great union industries that the NDP greens have attacked for years.

The BC government is just breaking up the monopoly of government unions. As a tax payer you should be very happy about this.

Keep our data at home; I am sure there are many competent data companies in BC.

This comment is naive at best. Your personal information is already around the world, from credit cards, internet profiles, corporate databases.

The companies that manage data have an important commodity to manage and that is privacy. We have new legislation in BC that covers private information and companies that are foreign owned still have to submit to BC laws when operating here.

Willy, my comments are all connected. Don't give me any of your feeble advice. Our Medical records are supposed to be confidential and there is absolutely no excuse for allowing them to leave BC. NONE AT ALL. I don't know what Campbell's problem is but he sure is doing his best to sell out this province. We wouldn't need the new legislation if they kept our personal medical records at home where they belong. Their wimpy legislation will not protect our records from the USA homeland security act. Get real!!!!!

BC Ferry Services is forfeiting $200 million by building 3 Super C Class ships in foreign shipyard, Shipyard Workers' Federation reveals: losing $75 million federal contribution for building in Canada and paying $125 million in duty to import foreign-built ferries for $200 million total - August 10, 2004

Some saving eh?????

plus 2000 jobs paying taxes back into the BC system

Sounds like a dumb deal to me.

We wouldn't need the new legislation if they kept our personal medical records at home where they belong.

Should they keep them under their beds.

Electronic records are today and not the future. How these records are kept needed new legislation. The legislation refers to all kinds of client information not just health care. If they kept them in a hospital server, or in a server downtown or in Mexico City it makes no difference. The difference comes in what and how it is accessed.

What makes you think that Canadain medical records would help the US find terrorists anyway?

Let me get this clear, no matter what the Liberals do it must be wrong because they are Liberals. Right!

In politics I have learned to separate the policy from the person. I know people of many different political leaning and I enjoy learning why they believe what they do. Most people of any political leaning think there ideas are the best for their communities. Be it Liberal or NDP. I passionately disagree with the approach of the NDP but I don’t think they are bad people.

I get the impression that you believe Mr. Campbell to be a mean and vindictive person that plays politics for power and to pay off his friends. I have met the man a number of times and listened to him speak on a variety of issues. I have found him to be a positive, and honest person. He believes in what his government is doing because he thinks it is right. Disagree with him, work to get him voted out, you always disagree with me and I expect it, but realize this there is not big pay off, or conspiracy. The government is just implementing a series of policies that are consistent with what they set out to do. It is no surprise, and yes many of us are glad they are doing it.

Do you really believe that the USA uses the information they get through Homeland Security for just locating terrorists?????? They are already using it to catch smugglers. My medical information is nobodies business but mine. There is absolutely no excuse for it to be sent to a foreign country.

Question Caesar, How is American medical information held confidential?

Who can use the patriot act and under what circumstances?

Will the Patriot Act even exist next year?

http://www.cio.com/archive/111503/tl_washington.html

I too think that your information should be confidential.

My other point was just that location does not equal risk.

Miss handled here your information can become public. In the past paper medical records have turned up at the local dump. Just because they are here does not make them classified. Security in the information age for many things will be a challenge.

The government has been examining the security that will be given. I am waiting to see what they found out.