NDP Leadership Poll

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it started I wanted Cullen to come out on top but I see Mulcair as the best choice now. I still like Cullen however and I think he has a bright future. But I think Mulcair has the best hope of getting the center votes which in my opinion is the only way they'll form a government. I really don't see Nash's appeal other than her being one of the more left wing candidates. Although I honestly didn't see her performance as finance critic being great either. That's not to say she won't or can't win though. I've been following the race pretty closely but if it ends with Nash or Topp winning it'll feel like I sat through a 3 hour movie and the ending was terrible.

As I've stated, the only real choice is Mulcair. If the NDP is really serious about attempting to go for government in 2015 and beyond. Any of the other candidates in my view would both erode the Quebec support which indirectly will send them back to 3rd party status and irrelevancy. People talk about manufactured majorities, well we have a manufactured Official opposition too in my mind lol. Their support in Quebec is so tenuous and already is showing severe signs of weakness. Mulcair can at least probably keep a strong foothold there. They need to do that. Mulcair is also centrist enough he might be able to better pitch to centre-left voters in Ontario to give the NDP a chance as well. Yes, the west will probably hate Mulcair because he will favour Quebec, but as long as the NDP can win the majority in Quebec, a decent amount in Ontario and piece together support across the country, they could win government without widespread western support.

I heard Andrew Coyne say that whoever comes in third on the first ballot at the convention could be deciding factor. I think he was writing Topp, Ashton and Singh off and assuming Mulcair would come in first and Nash in second on the first ballot. He said that if Cullen comes in third he could throw his support behind Mulcair and give him the leadership. But if Dewar comes in third he could support Nash and push her into first. Interesting scenario.

With the new voting format, with so many members voting by mail or online ahead of time, could those sorts of deals really have the same impact that they used to?

Coyne was just thinking about it logically. Its logical to think the majority of Dewar first ballot supporters would have ranked Nash ahead of Mulcair on their preferential ballot. Where as Cullen supporters would be more likely to rate Mulcair higher than Nash.

Of course logic could be thrown out the window with this type of system.

Edited by UofGPolitico

I heard Andrew Coyne say that whoever comes in third on the first ballot at the convention could be deciding factor. I think he was writing Topp, Ashton and Singh off and assuming Mulcair would come in first and Nash in second on the first ballot. He said that if Cullen comes in third he could throw his support behind Mulcair and give him the leadership. But if Dewar comes in third he could support Nash and push her into first. Interesting scenario.

He never said anything about candidates throwing support behind another. He said Cullen supporters would likely go to Mulcair, due to their similarities, and Dewar, Nash and Topp supporters would likely choose each other over Mulcair.

He never said anything about candidates throwing support behind another. He said Cullen supporters would likely go to Mulcair, due to their similarities, and Dewar, Nash and Topp supporters would likely choose each other over Mulcair.

My mistake.

Someone thinks Singh is going to win?

I didn't pick him, but it's not as far-fetched as it seems. They've been working overtime signing up new members. Much of the new membership in BC is from his campaign's legwork.

Edited by cybercoma

I didn't pick him, but it's not as far-fetched as it seems. They've been working overtime signing up new members. Much of the new membership in BC is from his campaign's legwork.

I agree that anything can happen...especially in these types of races but I was surprised there is a Singh vote but none for Dewar.

Not to write him off but I thought maybe that he had a relative here since I'm pretty sure Nash does. She has a lot of support from a poster although I've yet to hear legitimate reasons. :)

Do you have an article to back up the BC thing? I'm not totally disputing it but I would think Cullen got a lot of those new members.

At Issue last night was unanimous in saying Mulcair is the front runner and most likely will be victorious. Chantal Hebert though refused to saying outright who WOULD win. Coyne seems to think though if not Mulcair, Dewar would probably win.

It will all depend I think on how high Mulcair is on the first ballot. I think if he got somewhere around 30-35% things would look very good for him.

Do you have an article to back up the BC thing? I'm not totally disputing it but I would think Cullen got a lot of those new members.

The problem is that I don't always get my info from the "news", if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I tracked down an article from The Hill Times for you.

The sole candidate from Atlantic Canada in the NDP leadership race, Musquodoboit Harbor, N.S., pharmacist Martin Singh, may break new ground for the party as he focuses his campaign on recruiting new party members from Sikh communities in Ontario and British Columbia, New Democrats say.

http://www.hilltimes.com/news/politics/2012/01/05/ndp-leadership-candidate-singh-could-break-new-ground-say-dippers/29139

The surge in membership from BC that we've seen has more to do with Singh than it does Cullen apparently.

At Issue last night was unanimous in saying Mulcair is the front runner and most likely will be victorious. Chantal Hebert though refused to saying outright who WOULD win. Coyne seems to think though if not Mulcair, Dewar would probably win.

It will all depend I think on how high Mulcair is on the first ballot. I think if he got somewhere around 30-35% things would look very good for him.

See the thing is Mulcair has been very good about making sure he the second choice of every group of supporters, Topps people will fall to Mulcair same with Nash, he has the win right there. The NDP aren't the Liberals they know this is a one and done thing so unlike when Rae refused to endorse in 2006 and his people went Dion to set Rae up down the road the same wont happen in the NDP. They pick leaders for decades not months, meaning when you drop out unless you are Ashton or someone young you are done and should set yourself up in a good place with whoever will be the leader.

I sure hope Singh picks up a seat out of this and of course Topp.

I don't see how he can, he lives in Peter Stoffer's ridding. From what I know about the NDP in NS there are a bunch of Strong canidates looking to jump into that race if Stoffer ever gets out. The ridding is also not a great one for Singh in terms of the demographics he would play well with, the ridding is mostly Vets/Active Military/Fisherman I think.

The surge in membership from BC that we've seen has more to do with Singh than it does Cullen apparently.

Martin Singh is definetely the dark horse thats coming out of this race!

It could be worth voting for him on the first ballot just to give him that extra boost!

WWWTT

I don't see how he can, he lives in Peter Stoffer's ridding. From what I know about the NDP in NS there are a bunch of Strong canidates looking to jump into that race if Stoffer ever gets out. The ridding is also not a great one for Singh in terms of the demographics he would play well with, the ridding is mostly Vets/Active Military/Fisherman I think.

Elizabeth May holds a seat in BC after running in NS the election before. Anything can happen.

Elizabeth May holds a seat in BC after running in NS the election before. Anything can happen.

Yah but we don't expect Singh a small business owner in NS to pick up his family and become a carpet bagger in BC do we? I mean I like Singh but he is no Elizabeth May she was able to spend like 200,000 over the course of a year to pick a very friendly seat after no stop national campaigning for like 4 years. Singh just doesn't have those resources and had really no place to run in his Home province of NS. I just don't see how he can do it.