Polling

? Neither Rae nor Ignatieff is a Quebecer.

I'll give you Ignatieff. Rae however has been only a caretaker, not a true leader. He has no mandate from the people to be leader and promised he would not be next election.

Ignatieff was still rather an anomaly. The Liberals were desperate and thought he was the new Philosopher King to save them, like Trudeau years before.

At that time the Liberals were so desperate they would have taken a dog as leader!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you Ignatieff. Rae however has been only a caretaker, not a true leader. He has no mandate from the people to be leader and promised he would not be next election.

Ignatieff was still rather an anomaly. The Liberals were desperate and thought he was the new Philosopher King to save them, like Trudeau years before.

At that time the Liberals were so desperate they would have taken a dog as leader!

Paul Martin and John Turner weren't Quebeckers.

Paul Martin and John Turner weren't Quebeckers.

Okay! I give! I guess I'm wrong.

Still, they have alternated between anglophones and francophones. Since they can classify Rae's caretaker leadership anyway they want I guess they can pick either one for a serious run at an election.

I still think they should go with young Trudeau! I know many feel he's too young to be a winner but that's not the point. The Liberals know (or should know) they haven't got a chance in the next election. What they desperately need to do is stop sliding into the abyss!

No matter what, Justin's last name has charisma by the boatload! Likely he can not only stop the slide but regain some lost ground. That would buy the Liberals a breathing spell for the next term. This would be an invaluable aid in rebuilding their party into a contender once again.

Of course, most political parties make these decisions internally. It is more important to be impressive to the party members than to the electorate at large.

We will see soon enough what the Liberals will do.

;) Can't be right all the time lol.... Besides I too thought Martin was from Quebec

On another note, seems the polling companies have been quiet this summer. THus the thread drift.

I am going to check to see if there's one kicking around that I missed.

Still, they have alternated between anglophones and francophones. Since they can classify Rae's caretaker leadership anyway they want I guess they can pick either one for a serious run at an election.

I still think they should go with young Trudeau! I know many feel he's too young to be a winner but that's not the point. The Liberals know (or should know) they haven't got a chance in the next election. What they desperately need to do is stop sliding into the abyss!

No matter what, Justin's last name has charisma by the boatload! Likely he can not only stop the slide but regain some lost ground. That would buy the Liberals a breathing spell for the next term. This would be an invaluable aid in rebuilding their party into a contender once again.

Of course, most political parties make these decisions internally. It is more important to be impressive to the party members than to the electorate at large.

We will see soon enough what the Liberals will do.

I still don't know about him, but your points are correct.

I think it could be smart for Trudeau to back Dominic LeBlanc, maybe be the co-chair of his campaign. Then he could play a significant role in re-building the party under LeBlanc's leadership while getting a more serious role within the party. LeBlanc is young, has good experience and I think him and Trudeau could become a force in Canadian politics.

It'll be interesting to see if the CBC goes looking for some NDP Quebec MP's who will speak out in favour of the PQ or outright sovereignty. There have GOT to be several. That'll start a nice little political melee. Only problem is that the CBC's approach is only to dig up dirt on the Conservatives. So I won't hold my breath.....but sooner or later, some NDP MP's will get involved - most are too young to respect party discipline. Should be fun leading up to the election.

What are the views IF Paul Martin came back for leadership?

Geez Topaz, he's 74 years old! You think he would last until then? Survive the strains of an election campaign? If he won stay alive through his term?

Maybe. Some of us are blessed with good health when that old. Still, at his age would he WANT to?

• 1 month later...

Bad poll for the NDP, only a few points ahead of the Liberals. Not really a great poll for the Conservatives either.

National

CPC - 34%

NDP - 27%

LPC - 24%

Greens - 7%

Quebec

NDP - 31%

Bloc - 25%

LPC - 24%

CPC - 15%

Greens - 4%

Ontario

CPC - 39%

LPC - 29%

NDP - 23%

Greens - 6%

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/09/16/oll-gives-conservatives-edge-as-parliament-prepares-for-acrimonious-return/

I don't give polls before you have a leader much thought. Look at Romney, when it was Generic GOP ticket they were crushing Romney. I have no doubt the Liberals will be their own worst enemy, not to mention all the Con insiders signing up to vote for the worst person now that the race is open to anyone to vote.

Lets play the wait and see game here. Also those Ontario numbers look weird the Provincial and Federal Liberals just went all in on that bi-election in Ontario and couldn't do anything against the NDP.

Edited by punked

I don't give polls before you have a leader much thought. Look at Romney, when it was Generic GOP ticket they were crushing Romney. I have no doubt the Liberals will be their own worst enemy, not to mention all the Con insiders signing up to vote for the worst person now that the race is open to anyone to vote.

Lets play the wait and see game here. Also those Ontario numbers look weird the Provincial and Federal Liberals just went all in on that bi-election in Ontario and couldn't do anything against the NDP.

The provincial Liberals also took 50% of the vote in a riding that's held by the CPC, but I'd also dismiss the poll if I were you.

The provincial Liberals also took 50% of the vote in a riding that's held by the CPC, but I'd also dismiss the poll if I were you.

I am not dismissing it. It is a great poll for the Liberals, but their challenge will not be this poll their challenge is they don't have a leader. What do you want me to say, yes I believe a poll done for a party with out a leader is a great one for them? No there are too many unknows at this time. The last time the Liberals picked a leader it caused half their leadership to basically give up national politics and become fund-raisers and half of them still ended up violating the election act. The Liberals are going to have to run a good leadership race before I say they are doing well.

A lot will happen over the next few years and a good poll when there is no news stories, the house is not sitting, there is not leadership, does not a make a trend. As a member of the NDP I know this more then anyone. I would suggest you be happy with it and keep your eyes on the prize because if the next poll is bad then hyping up this one makes it look like you lost voters you may have never had. In the expectations game of politics that isn't a good thing.

You have a real problem which is a weak leadership bench. I hope for a competitive Liberal party if for no other reason then to give Canadians a choice. I am not like you. I don't want a two party system where we pick the red door or the blue door but they both go to the same place. This isn't about my "team" it is about my ideas.

Edited by punked

Great poll for the CPC imo. Getting 40%+ in Ontario pretty much guarantees them another majority. The economy is still very shaky, and they just pushed through a bunch of contentious bills in their first year. They still have 3 yrs to balance the budget, for the global economy to turn around, and to offer some nice tax cuts for the electorate in the final year of their term. The future looks bright in Canada.

I am not dismissing it. It is a great poll for the Liberals, but their challenge will not be this poll their challenge is they don't have a leader. What do you want me to say, yes I believe a poll done for a party with out a leader is a great one for them? No there are too many unknows at this time. The last time the Liberals picked a leader it caused half their leadership to basically give up national politics and become fund-raisers and half of them still ended up violating the election act. The Liberals are going to have to run a good leadership race before I say they are doing well.

A lot will happen over the next few years and a good poll when there is no news stories, the house is not sitting, there is not leadership, does not a make a trend. As a member of the NDP I know this more then anyone. I would suggest you be happy with it and keep your eyes on the prize because if the next poll is bad then hyping up this one makes it look like you lost voters you may have never had. In the expectations game of politics that isn't a good thing.

You have a real problem which is a weak leadership bench. I hope for a competitive Liberal party if for no other reason then to give Canadians a choice. I am not like you. I don't want a two party system where we pick the red door or the blue door but they both go to the same place. This isn't about my "team" it is about my ideas.

You were the one going on a while back about how wonderful the NDP were polling.

threehundredeight.com

august 30. 2012...ndp is gaining ground everywhere...cpc supporters sound like the captain of the Costa Concordia, "don't panic we're in no danger of sinking it's not true(quick, where's my lifeboat)"...

canada

cpc-33.9%

ndp-33.6%

lib-21.7%

bloc-5.9%

green-4.8%

BC

ndp-39.2%

cpc-34.6

lib-16.7

green-8.7

AB

cpc-57.8

ndp-21.8

lib-14.9

green-3.8

man/sask

cpc-41.3

ndp-36.1

lib-16.1

green-4.8

ontario

cpc-37.9

ndp-30.4

lib-24.8

green-5.5

quebec

ndp-36.1

bloc-22.6

lib-20.4

cpc-16.6

green-3

atlantic

ndp-38.3

lib-29.6

cpc-28

green-3.9

I love it. The people who were saying "the election is 3 years away! These polls are all meaningless garbage!" Are now saying, "HA! Look at the NDP! They're going to lose!"

It's a bad poll for the NDP. However, the Liberals numbers are based on some fantasy-world expectations of Trudeau. He can't live up to those expectations. Even his father couldn't live up to the expectations people have for him. The cult of personality around Trudeau may get deflated when he has to go into a debate with Harper and Mulcair, if he wins the nomination at all.

I love it. The people who were saying "the election is 3 years away! These polls are all meaningless garbage!" Are now saying, "HA! Look at the NDP! They're going to lose!"

It's a bad poll for the NDP. However, the Liberals numbers are based on some fantasy-world expectations of Trudeau. He can't live up to those expectations. Even his father couldn't live up to the expectations people have for him. The cult of personality around Trudeau may get deflated when he has to go into a debate with Harper and Mulcair, if he wins the nomination at all.

Is Trudeau mentioned in the poll?