I watched the Speaker when he said that members couldn't ask question about party money and I thought,his ways are so different from the last Speaker. There could be nothing to this but just having ANY connection to Guelph is a hot issue and being from a party that EC has already punished.

His credibility just took a severe hit. He is in no position to stop the mps from discussing party money now

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The media is going to show up and get quotes... I have no idea what quote they could get from the children. Sounds rediculous to me. Leave the kids alone.

That's the point.

what I see..is a person who wanted to run for public office...is embrolled in a scandal and has refused any correspondence with the media,

Burke did run and was unsuccessful. As for not talking to the media, I think most people in similar situations would react in that manner. I would say that cooperating fully with the investigators is way more important than talking to the media. I would add the media have plenty of "anonymous sources" quite willing to put in their two cents.

until finally issuing a release saying...

I know nothing..

What he said, and repeats, is that he had nothing to do with the robocalls. He cannot divulge that which he knows nothing about.

The Conservative candidate in Guelph doesn’t believe his campaign had anything to do with the “Pierre Poutine” robocalls that directed opposition supporters in the riding to go to the wrong polls on election day, he said in a statement published by the Guelph Tribune on Tuesday.

“I have absolutely no knowledge of who made such calls or how and why they were made,” said Marty Burke. “I do not believe there is any connection between these calls and any member of our hard-working, dedicated campaign team. I would be shocked to find out otherwise.”

Burke says a week ago he volunteered to make a witness statement to Elections Canada to share what “little information” he had about the matter.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/20/guelph-conservative-candidate-marty-burke-denies-any-connection-to-pierre-poutine-robocalls/

The political machine behind the man who is now Speaker of the House of Commons opened its wallet for the Guelph Conservative campaign currently under scrutiny by Election Canadas robo-calls probe, records at the watchdog agency show.

My first thought when I read this in the news this morning was: So?

I got half way through the article in The Globe before realising it was just another non-story under a sensational headline; the media trying to milk anything they can out of this already overblown "scandal".

[ed.: fix]

Edited by g_bambino

I watched the Speaker when he said that members couldn't ask question about party money and I thought,his ways are so different from the last Speaker. There could be nothing to this but just having ANY connection to Guelph is a hot issue and being from a party that EC has already punished.

Question period is a time to ask questions about the governing of the country. The Speaker is right, and the other one would have said the same thing.

My first thought when I read this in the news this morning was: So?

Exactly. An EDA is Saskatchewan put out a call to ridings who needed funds. Two responded, one being Guelph. The Saskatchewan EDA transferred $3,000 to each of the two ridings and as required under election laws the expenditures were reported to Elections Canada. Big deal.

Elections Canada states that riding associations belonging to the same political party have the ability to transfer funds among themselves. There is no maximum transfer in place, as the Elections Act already limits the contributions that individual Canadians can make to any political party, including its riding associations, in a given year.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/speakers-riding-shifted-cash-to-tory-campaign-ensnared-in-robo-calls-probe/article2376097/

I got half way through the article in The Globe before realising it was just another non-story under a sensational headline; the media trying to milk anything they can out of this already overblown "scandal".

[ed.: fix]

Cue the outrage from the usual suspects and the opposition.

Exactly. An EDA is Saskatchewan put out a call to ridings who needed funds. Two responded, one being Guelph. The Saskatchewan EDA transferred $3,000 to each of the two ridings

It doesn't say that at all in the article.. what it DOES say is Burke is from Regina which is Scheers riding and has volunteered for Scheer before..also Burkes mom still lives in Regina .. that is why, it doesn't mention any EDA putting out calls to riding who needed funds and that two responded.

It does say that two ridings received money ^

Edited by stopstaaron

It doesn't say that at all in the article.. it doesn't mention any EDA putting out calls to riding who needed funds and that two responded.

Don't you even read your own links?

Ms. Baylis said Regina-Qu’Appelle had made it known that it had cash on hand and “that if any ridings came to us in financial difficulty, then because we had some surplus money we would ... help them out.”

She said that the Saskatchewan riding association gave cash both to Guelph and to Tories in Mississauga East-Cooksville.

“They were the only two camps that asked us if we could assist them during their election because of their financial difficulties.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/speakers-riding-shifted-cash-to-tory-campaign-ensnared-in-robo-calls-probe/article2376097/

Were the liberals majority governments this bad at answering questions?

When it came to Adscam, I'm sure they were. However, the general day-to-day QP where the CPC MPs read their scripts is way over the top.

The point of course being that Harper was supposed to be the guy that brought transparency and accountability. He has done neither.

Edited by cybercoma

I find it odd that you question everything NDP & LPC related but CPC gets the benefit of the doubt every time

I give all parties the benefit of the doubt until there is enough evidence of guilt. Like in the case of Guelph Liberal MP Valeriote who confessed to robocalls made by a campaign worker using a fake name and failing to identify the calls coming from his campaign. He broke election rules and on the evidence, he is guilty.

I give all parties the benefit of the doubt until there is enough evidence of guilt. Like in the case of Guelph \

96 CPC MPs took part in the in & out fraud scheme but you probably still voted for the party eh... how can anyone vote for a party where that many party members took part in a fraud scheme?

Edited by stopstaaron

When it came to Adscam, I'm sure they were. However, the general day-to-day QP where the CPC MPs read their scripts is way over the top.

The point of course being that Harper was supposed to be the guy that brought transparency and accountability. He has done neither.

I didn't pay attention to politics much until 2010, did the liberals also read scripts everyday for QP or is that just a harper thing?

I didn't pay attention to politics much until 2010, did the liberals also read scripts everyday for QP or is that just a harper thing?

That I don't recall them doing, but we're going back quite some time and I can barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

I find it odd that you question everything NDP & LPC related but CPC gets the benefit of the doubt every time

After I responded to your post something occurred to me. You're rather new here. Therefore, how would you know I question everything about the opposition? That's the final clue I needed to confirm you're not really new here at all. :lol: :lol:

After I responded to your post something occurred to me. You're rather new here. Therefore, how would you know I question everything about the opposition? That's the final clue I needed to confirm you're not really new here at all. :lol: :lol:

The status update where he said Our Lady Peace is his favourite band and he hates Harper didn't give it away?