The Canada Party

Guest American Woman

Sure, we've been known to club a baby seal now and then.... but we could just as easily waterboard them!!

haha

Pretty funny.

"Now and then," eh? <_< So why don't y'all waterboard them? At least their lives would be spared. :)

Guest American Woman

Yes... now and then.... baby seal season only lasts a few weeks....

And it involves a bit more than "clubbing a baby seal now and then," eh? Try thousands, at every opportunity, during that season - which occurs yearly, not "now and then."

And it involves a bit more than "clubbing a baby seal now and then," eh? Try thousands, at every opportunity, during that season - which occurs yearly, not "now and then."

Well, if you want to get all technical and anti-Canada, baby seals are never clubbed. Only adults.

No, the seal hunt does not occur all year. It can't. It occurs on the pack ice and is over by spring.

Am I for the hunt? Yes, as long as it is sustainable, then there is no reason they should not be hunted. Am I for clubbing? No. They should be shot humanely.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2009/05/05/f-seal-hunt.html

Guest American Woman

Well, if you want to get all technical and anti-Canada,

So not supporting the clubbing of baby seals is to be "anti-Canadian?" :rolleyes:

baby seals are never clubbed. Only adults.

Wrong. Some are clubbed while they are defenseless, before they can swim.

No, the seal hunt does not occur all year. It can't. It occurs on the pack ice and is over by spring.

I didn't say it occurred all year, I said it occurred every year, it occurs regularly, not "now and then."

Edited by American Woman

So not supporting the clubbing of baby seals is to be "anti-Canadian?"

No. Not at all. It's the tone.... taking an obvious parody and turning it in to something serious and critical.

Wrong. Some are clubbed while they are defenseless, before they can swim.

Wrong again.... BABY seals are not killed at all. Those cute white fluffy things are not killed. It's the grey-furred seals that are hunted.

I didn't say it occurred all year, I said it occurred every year, it occurs regularly, not "now and then."

A few weeks out of the year is certainly now and then....

But, again, it was an obvious parody that poked fun at Canada as much as it did the USA... maybe lighten up a little... it will make posting here more fun for everyone! :D

Guest American Woman

No. Not at all. It's the tone.... taking an obvious parody and turning it in to something serious and critical.

If it's a stupid parody, why not? My "tone" was nothing other than stating a fact, and you insinuated I was being anti-Canadian.

Wrong again.... BABY seals are not killed at all. Those cute white fluffy things are not killed. It's the grey-furred seals that are hunted.

No, not wrong. They are only protected through 14 days of age. I didn't refer to "white coats," ie: newborns, but pups that have not yet even developed to the point of having the ability to swim. That is not an "adult seal." They are defenseless. You are the one who is wrong, not me.

A few weeks out of the year is certainly now and then....

No, it isn't. It's once a year. Hurricanes come every now and then while summer and fall come every year.

But, again, it was an obvious parody that poked fun at Canada as much as it did the USA... maybe lighten up a little... it will make posting here more fun for everyone! :D

Lighten up? --- like you, when you accused me of being anti-Canadian because I don't support the clubbing of defenseless baby seals? :D

Duh. The ability to swim away. :rolleyes:

Good luck to them swimming away from bullets fired from a 30/30. They'd be better off with the kevlar vests... Although I think the hunters take head-shots to avoid damaging the pelts.... helmets might be better....

Guest American Woman

Good luck to them swimming away from bullets fired from a 30/30. They'd be better off with the kevlar vests... Although I think the hunters take head-shots to avoid damaging the pelts.... helmets might be better....

I didn't realize they clubbed them with bullets.

:rolleyes:

Edited by American Woman

I didn't realize they clubbed them with bullets.

:rolleyes:

Seals are shot and clubbed. I'm sure if it is going to swim away, they'll use a gun, no?

But a helmet would be effective against clubbing too! Perhaps even more so.