Face veils banned for citizenship oaths

Guest American Woman

I'm not saying women don't face challenges. I'm saying that women can be appreciated for qualities other than their looks (and I don't think these points contradict that). I'd be the first to say that it should happen more often but it's going too far to say that it doesn't happen at all (and that's the reason why any woman enjoys being admired for her looks). Presumably the women who are getting 75% of MA-level SSHRC grants and 50% of PhD-level SSHRC grants are not getting them based on a head shot.

Absolutely women should be appreciated for other qualities and you're right. I shouldn't say they're not appreciated for those other qualities at all because not everyone is an idiot. However, might I suggest that the exceptions only serve to prove the rule. You saw how news reporters talked about Palin having implants and Clinton looking "haggard". Male politicians held anywhere even remotely close to the same standard. Imagine a fat, grey-haired female politicians, a female Newt Gingrich, even being considered for the presidency. It's a joke. The United States is one of the only industrialized nations that has not yet had a woman as its Head of State. Given the history of racial discrimination in the United States, a black man became president before a woman. What percentage of politicians are women? What percentage of board members in the largest corporations are women? How appreciated are sports like women's hockey and the WNBA?

I'm sorry, but women's value in our society is absolutely tied to their looks. It's wrong. It needs to stop. And attention needs to be brought to it so it can change. Are tehre individuals that don't treat women like this? Absolutely! Thank god there is! But ti's certainly not the way our institutions are setup or operating.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

I don't consider 10 year old stats to be accurate neither should you

But you take stats “researched” from some obscure college in the States, that doesn’t show or explain how it came up with it’s “survey”, as gospel :lol:

As opposed to what? A blog post citing "an encyclopedia chapter summarizing survey data from various countries"? He gives the author's name but no further publication info. Why would you take that as more reliable than the 2001 census?

(xpost)

Edited by Evening Star

As opposed to what? A blog post citing "an encyclopedia chapter summarizing survey data from various countries" He gives the author's name but no further publication info. Why would you take that as more reliable than the 2001 census?

Nope, I do not, 10 years is a long time I'd bet 4 more million people have checked themselves under the no religion category

in fact scientists are saying by 2050 religion will almost be extinct in Canada and other countries

people are leaving the church by the droves due to the scandals

Edited by olp1fan

OK, cool. I was kind of guessing that we were on the same page and it was an issue of hyperbole. It's all good.

Absolutely women should be appreciated for other qualities and you're right. I shouldn't say they're not appreciated for those other qualities at all because not everyone is an idiot. However, might I suggest that the exceptions only serve to prove the rule. You saw how news reporters talked about Palin having implants and Clinton looking "haggard". Male politicians held anywhere even remotely close to the same standard. Imagine a fat, grey-haired female politicians, a female Newt Gingrich, even being considered for the presidency. It's a joke. The United States is one of the only industrialized nations that has not yet had a woman as its Head of State. Given the history of racial discrimination in the United States, a black man became president before a woman. What percentage of politicians are women? What percentage of board members in the largest corporations are women? How appreciated are sports like women's hockey and the WNBA?

I'm sorry, but women's value in our society is absolutely tied to their looks. It's wrong. It needs to stop. And attention needs to be brought to it so it can change. Are tehre individuals that don't treat women like this? Absolutely! Thank god there is! But ti's certainly not the way our institutions are setup or operating.

Obviously you're not aware that those are the most recent statistics, since information about religion is only collected once every 10 years. And, since the Conservatives scrapped the long-form census, it doesn't look like the information collected this year is going to be very accurate either.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2008/06/03/f-religion-poll.html

Fewer than three-quarters of Canadians believe in a god, suggests a new Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey.

"Religion in Canada today is not a particularly divisive subject and tolerance levels for different beliefs are high," said Harris-Decima president Bruce Anderson. "This is evident in the fact that one in four people feel comfortable saying they do not believe in a god."

The poll found 72 per cent of respondents said they believed in a god, while 23 per cent said they did not believe in any god. Six per cent did not offer an opinion.

Results may not total 100 per cent because of rounding.

Canadians over the age of 50 (82 per cent) were far more likely than those under the age of 25 (60 per cent) to say they believed in a god. More than one in three (36 per cent) of those under the age of 25 said they did not believe in any god

Edited by olp1fan

Guest Derek L

Nope, I do not, 10 years is a long time I'd bet 4 more million people have checked themselves under the no religion category

in fact scientists are saying by 2050 religion will almost be extinct in Canada and other countries

people are leaving the church by the droves due to the scandals

What assumption leads you to take that bet? A(nother) hunch?

But getting back on topic, your position, as I understand it, you want to disallow people from practicing Islam? Forgive me for asking, but defining your positions seems as easy as nailing Jell-O to a wall.

Guest Derek L

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2008/06/03/f-religion-poll.html

Fewer than three-quarters of Canadians believe in a god, suggests a new Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey.

"Religion in Canada today is not a particularly divisive subject and tolerance levels for different beliefs are high," said Harris-Decima president Bruce Anderson. "This is evident in the fact that one in four people feel comfortable saying they do not believe in a god."

The poll found 72 per cent of respondents said they believed in a god, while 23 per cent said they did not believe in any god. Six per cent did not offer an opinion.

Results may not total 100 per cent because of rounding.

Canadians over the age of 50 (82 per cent) were far more likely than those under the age of 25 (60 per cent) to say they believed in a god. More than one in three (36 per cent) of those under the age of 25 said they did not believe in any god

So this poll counteracts your previous link………So with findings of ~23% (With a margin of error of 3.1%), those numbers seem to align further with the ‘01 census…..

What assumption leads you to take that bet? A(nother) hunch?

But getting back on topic, your position, as I understand it, you want to disallow people from practicing Islam? Forgive me for asking, but defining your positions seems as easy as nailing Jell-O to a wall.

I'd prefer we limit religious minorities who bring their baggage here with them and expect us to accommodate their backwards views

So this poll counteracts your previous link………So with findings of ~23% (With a margin of error of 3.1%), those numbers seem to align further with the ‘01 census…..

the margins of error could go either way ... plus census said it was 16 % .. I said 30 % ..we're both off by 7 %

so therefore we're tied

Guest Derek L

I'd prefer we limit religious minorities who bring their baggage here with them and expect us to accommodate their backwards views

That sounds familiar………Anyways, how are we accommodating them?

As I said already, I'm not opposed to this! American kids recite a pledge of allegiance every day in school!

sure but it still won't be relevant, oaths don't make people better citizens...
I really like your idea of making every Canadian pass the citizenship test too.
we could end up with an embarrassing results if immigrant canadian citizens outnumber native born citizens...

That sounds familiar………Anyways, how are we accommodating them?

Our businesses giving them extra breaks to pray? they're in our courts because they've done something bad that is more acceptable in their home land..I don't really want to go to a city and see a bunch of people covering their faces with their cultural cloth ..this is Canada, go to where you came from if you want to act like you're still in the middle east

Its way worse in the U.S

Yeah, I am intolerant but at least I am consistent with it...I do not want to see your catholic crosses either

Edited by olp1fan

their backwards views

There are some views that are completely unacceptable here. We don't allow Sharia law because we have our own legal code and a Constitution which it doesn't fit. We don't allow women to be stoned because their husbands cheat on them. We don't allow husbands to beat their wives or children to keep them in line. There are all kinds of "backwards views" that we don't accept. To suggest, however, that ALL Muslims follow these sorts of extremist ideas is not only wrong, but entirely bigoted. You don't seem to know the first thing about Islam, other than the made up garbage floating around in your head.

There are some views that are completely unacceptable here. We don't allow Sharia law because we have our own legal code and a Constitution which it doesn't fit. We don't allow women to be stoned because their husbands cheat on them. We don't allow husbands to beat their wives or children to keep them in line. There are all kinds of "backwards views" that we don't accept. To suggest, however, that ALL Muslims follow these sorts of extremist ideas is not only wrong, but entirely bigoted. You don't seem to know the first thing about Islam, other than the made up garbage floating around in your head.

oh there's that bigot word that lefties love throwing around...grow up man, everybody is a bigot, everybody is a racist...its not possible to go around saying positive things about every race without thinking of negatives

I have news for you pal, you're just as bigoted as I am

you don't have to show it to your MLW buddies but you are

Guest Derek L

Our businesses giving them extra breaks to pray? they're in our courts because they've done something bad that is more acceptable in their home land..I don't really want to go to a city and see a bunch of people covering their faces with their cultural cloth ..this is Canada, go to where you came from if you want to act like you're still in the middle east

Its way worse in the U.S

Yeah, I am intolerant but at least I am consistent with it...I do not want to see your catholic crosses either

I know what your last couple of posts reminded me of:

Godwin's law in...3...2...1

I know what your last couple of posts reminded me of:

Godwin's law in...3...2...1

yeah, I'm Hitler ...I don't call Muslims Muzzies, Islamofascists, sandn$#%%@, towelheads

I don't want them to die..I just don't want them to come here and pretend they still in the goddamn middle east

but yes, you compare me to thinking like hitler

idiot

Guest Derek L

yeah, I'm Hitler ...I don't call Muslims Muzzies, Islamofascists, sandn$#%%@, towelheads

I don't want them to die..I just don't want them to come here and pretend they still in the goddamn middle east

but yes, you compare me to thinking like hitler

idiot

Hitler never said he wanted them to die….at first……If the Shoe fits…….

draconian? :lol: this coming from the guy that wants to send muslim women back to where they come from if they refuse to remove their veil for an oath....

what I said was to ban the burqa or headdresses and if they didn't like it they could go back to the shit hole they came from ..I didn't say deport them