Thread for All the Negative Things the Liberals Did as Government

Guest American Woman
Our military support has always been the least of what we offered.

Methinks you don't give your military support enough credit.

What was really sought of Canada was the moral shine our imagined halo would bring to the effort.

Methinks you give the "halo" stereotype too much credit - I think the actual support and involvement helped much more than "the moral shine of [your] halo" would have.

I don't think it had the intended effect.

Methinks you don't have any idea as to what kind of "effect" was being sought. Read up on Canada's involvement - I would say the help and assistance provided was the "effect" the U.S. wanted.

I would say both countries got what they wanted. The U.S. got the actual involvement that was needed while Canadians got to believe their country wasn't involved in the war and Chretien got to play the Big Man who stood up to the U.S. Too bad the whistle was blown, though it appears some of you are still in denial and/or trying to play the moral equivalency card, and that includes you as you attribute it to Canada "acting like the U.S." rather seeing that it's Canada acting like Canada.

And no, that's not a "slang" towards Canada - it's saying it the way it is.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You conclude Canada's behavior is due to "acting like the U.S." while it's due to Canada acting like Canada.

No, that's not what I said. I said we were even worse than you.

I said we've known better than to behave like your country has behaved for decades, that is, we've known for decades not to behave like you, but we did anyway.

So perhaps, being the "Earthling" that you are, you best learn to know better than to behave like Canada, too. And no, that's not a "slang" towards Canada - it's saying it the way it is.

Whatever the hell you're babbling about, it's slag, not slang and I learned a long time ago it's wrong not to speak up when big powerful kids push smaller weaker kids around. Countries are no different.

And both are acting in Canada's best interest - ie: Acting like Canada.

No way, they're both acting in their own interests - ie: Acting like politicians.

Too bad the whistle was blown, though it appears some of you are still in denial and/or trying to play the moral equivalency card, and that includes you as you attribute it to Canada "acting like the U.S." rather seeing that it's Canada acting like Canada.

You should listen what I say AW...

I'm supporting what you're saying in this thread, that we're with you and always have been - I agree and I think we definitely have it coming too.

And no, that's not a "slang" towards Canada - it's saying it the way it is.

Right on.

Guest American Woman

No, that's not what I said. I said we were even worse than you.

I said we've known better than to behave like your country has behaved for decades, that is, we've known for decades not to behave like you, but we did anyway.

You still don't get it. You're not acting like us ... you are acting like YOU.

Whatever the hell you're babbling about, it's slag, not slang and I learned a long time ago it's wrong not to speak up when big powerful kids push smaller weaker kids around. Countries are no different.

Excuse me. My spell-check changed your "slag" to "slang;" sorry if that was terribly confusing for you!

What I'm "babbling" about (and I must say, that makes your point so much more intelligent <_< ) is your claim that when I speak the truth about Canada you seem to see it as a slag against Canada. Once again. IT'S NOT. So if you've learned what you have a long time ago, you've learned not to act like Canada a long time ago. You keep attributing it to "acting like the U.S." rather than attributing the behavior to acting like Canada.

You should listen what I say AW...

I'm supporting what you're saying in this thread, that we're with you and always have been -

Oh, I'm listening.

I'm listening to you attribute your support to "acting like the U.S." You attribute your behavior to the U.S. rather than taking full responsibility for it, instead of recognizing that Canada is acting like Canada. You have to somehow insinuate that Canada has had the moral high ground, and therefore should know "not to act like the U.S." You have no moral high ground. Acting one part and playing another doesn't change what you are. "Good cop, bad cop" - it's just a game to get what one wants.

So again - Canada is not acting like the U.S. - your claim that Canada should know better than to act like the U.S. - is bull. Canada is acting like Canada, as it always has, always will.

Edited by American Woman

Guest Derek L

Well, Obama's health care policy is pretty different from Republican policy, for one thing. Clinton and Bush Jr had appreciably different policies on tax rates whereas the CPC has basically just continued trends initiated by the LPC. If you compare the different states' policies on things like abortion, gay marriage, or teaching religious dogma in public schools, there are some pretty stark differences.

I definitely think there was a big difference from Eisenhower/Kennedy-era policies on taxes and social programmes (to say nothing of LBJ!) to Reagan-era policies.

My point, regardless of which party is in power, here or there, and whatever said party promises, the end results aren’t any more dramatic then those achieved by the governing party prior or the one that will replace it…….Obamacare was stillborn from the onset or to take differing viewpoint, the policies of Kennedy, LBJ and Nixon with regards to civil rights, were namely one in the same.

You still don't get it. You're not acting like us ... you are acting like YOU.

What you don't get is that the equation works both way AW meaning you've acted like us too. What's the issue? We're both guilty and complicit in the diddling of smaller less powerful countries. Like I said above, 9/11 was a wake up call for everyone. It revealed the ugly side of Canada's complicity to a lot of Canadians. I admit to growing up in a dreamworld and believing Canada was as good and noble as advertised although my own rude awakening was probably well underway before 9/11. Recall this thread is about the negative things Liberals did as government and the many times I've pointed at their corrupt mismanagement of our fisheries.

Don't you think you should have known better than to behave the way you did given your status as the Shining Beacon of democracy and freedom? I know you're not proud of your government's behaviour but I guess the difference between us is that your still proud of your country and I'm not. I cannot find it in me to forgive and forget. Fool me once shame on them...fool me twice? Never again.

Excuse me. My spell-check changed your "slag" to "slang;" sorry if that was terribly confusing for you!

It was just more irritating is all.

What I'm "babbling" about (and I must say, that makes your point so much more intelligent <_< ) is your claim that when I speak the truth about Canada you seem to see it as a slag against Canada.

I was inviting you to keep it up AW. Please slag away to your hearts content. In case you haven't noticed I'm slagging away at Canada too.

Once again. IT'S NOT.

Some Canadians think it is. Many of us are in deep denial and I'm glad people are finally speaking the truth about Canada. I think we've behaved abysmally, exporting depleted uranium and weapons abroad, aiding and abetting and allying ourselves with bullies...it's disgraceful.

So if you've learned what you have a long time ago, you've learned not to act like Canada a long time ago.
That's right, I am not Canadian in spirit or outlook, only in name. I would never willingly do or support the sorts of things that my country and your's have done.
You keep attributing it to "acting like the U.S." rather than attributing the behavior to acting like Canada.

Well like I said the attributions and responsibility thereof are interchangeable things that work both ways.

Oh, I'm listening.

I'm listening to you attribute your support to "acting like the U.S."

I honestly don't know what to attribute our support to. Our old alliances, we're all mostly white and speak English, we put economics before virtue, our industrial military complex is more influential than anyone suspects - who knows what evil lurks in it's heart?

You attribute your behavior to the U.S. rather than taking full responsibility for it, instead of recognizing that Canada is acting like Canada.

Actually I think I attribute our behaviour to something drastically wrong at the most fundamental level in the make up of our system of governance. Clearly my experience with Ottawa's mismanagement of our fisheries has pushed my thinking in that direction.

You have to somehow insinuate that Canada has had the moral high ground, and therefore should know "not to act like the U.S." You have no moral high ground. Acting one part and playing another doesn't change what you are. "Good cop, bad cop" - it's just a game to get what one wants.

That makes us both sound even more depraved.

So again - Canada is not acting like the U.S. - your claim that Canada should know better than to act like the U.S. - is bull. Canada is acting like Canada, as it always has, always will.

Look at the bright side AW you can point to an ally that's probably even worse than you in it's faux nobility.

Edited by eyeball