Dismantling of the Canadian Wheat Board.

Bob

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh, I no longer care about the wheat board, if it screws the farmers over they will still vote conservative because farmers are stupid

It doesn't screw the farmers over, it gives them a choice. They will vote Conservative because the Conservatives kept their promise.

You think that freedom is stupid?

It doesn't screw the farmers over, it gives them a choice. They will vote Conservative because the Conservatives kept their promise.

You think that freedom is stupid?

No, but you can't make the argument that way because Canadians should have the "Freedom" to die with dignity, should have the "Freedom" to grow their own Marijuana plants without getting sent to prison for 6 months...why does your party not allow these freedoms ahem?

you think like a farmer

I just find it hypocritical that you went on your little tantrum last night about me calling you names (which incidentally didn't happen, near as I can tell--I hunted again today for the post and you still haven't provided a link to it), then you turn around and label all farmers as stupid. Presumably because their ridings elected Conservative representatives, yet you don't know how they voted.

No, but you can't make the argument that way because Canadians should have the "Freedom" to die with dignity, should have the "Freedom" to grow their own Marijuana plants without getting sent to prison for 6 months...why does your party not allow these freedoms ahem?

Feel free to start a thread about these other topics. This one is about the Wheat Board.

Feel free to start a thread about these other topics. This one is about the Wheat Board.

was just making a point that saying people should have the freedom to do something differs when ideology is involved

Personally, right now, I say good luck to the farmers, hope they survive

Edited by olp1fan

meh, I no longer care about the wheat board, if it screws the farmers over they will still vote conservative because farmers are stupid

no point in whining about this..what we should be more concerned about is the crime bill with regards to marijuana

Ok. An interesting priority there. Who cares about 'stupid' farmers. They're 'stupid' after all, because they don't vote the way you like. What's really important, desperately important, is that people be able to grow as much pot as they want. :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Wonder if they are as brave with the dairy and egg farmers in Ontario and Quebec

I recall the Conservatives telling Ontario Farmers the would abide by the wheat board vote. At the same time, PCs in Ontario were supporting the expansion of supply management to other sectors because of its success...

I figure Supply management will be gutted in some trade deal and those farmers will be SOL.

Pork farmers were crushed in teh market and asked for supplymanagement just got it and I expect to see it killed by Conservatives and even Liberals for that matter.

Its all great when the gravy is coming in, but once hard times hit.... We all know what happens.

You either believe in and support supply management or you don't. It was the best way to keep farmers independant , and not having to rely on the government during tough times.

LIve by the sword die by the sword I guess...hmm maybe that should say plough shares???

Its all great when the gravy is coming in, but once hard times hit.... We all know what happens.

Growing up, my best friend's father was like a second father to me. He came from a farm in Belleville and like most farmers of the time he was a very shrewd thinker.

I still remember how he had lost a lot of respect for farmers over the years. He explained to me that for generations farmers had been deeply cynical and suspicious of government, politicians and promises. They preferred to be as self-reliant as possible.

From the 60's on, things began to change. Slowly at first, the process began to accelerate. In his opinion, farmers had become to quick to accept government programs that too often proved flawed and actually hurt those they purported to help! He believed the true goal was to make farmers dependent on government, in order to ensure their votes.

From my own observations over the years, I tend to agree with him.

Growing up, my best friend's father was like a second father to me. He came from a farm in Belleville and like most farmers of the time he was a very shrewd thinker.

I still remember how he had lost a lot of respect for farmers over the years. He explained to me that for generations farmers had been deeply cynical and suspicious of government, politicians and promises. They preferred to be as self-reliant as possible.

From the 60's on, things began to change. Slowly at first, the process began to accelerate. In his opinion, farmers had become to quick to accept government programs that too often proved flawed and actually hurt those they purported to help! He believed the true goal was to make farmers dependent on government, in order to ensure their votes.

Don't worry, out west we learned that lesson long ago. Remember supply management doesn't really exist out here. Its the pro business operations that still exist.

Interesting, the farmers I know were dirt poor in the 60 and previous decades, but very self reliant.

Strange thing in the late 60s and 70s Farmers became millionaires and those became some of the most powerful small business operations in Ontario.

Only difference I have seen is the move from Family to Factory Farms, Its nothing like it was.

That said, Ontario farms have used a dual Market for many decades while that has not been the case in the west. The Farmers here made their choice. It has its pros and cons.

I'd say today Ontario Farmers are dependent upon about a Dozen corporations Dictating to them and the government does what the corps want.

So you could be right.

Don't worry, out west we learned that lesson long ago. Remember supply management doesn't really exist out here. Its the pro business operations that still exist.

Um, Supply management did exist for certain products and its only just recent that the west has changed. I understand why a part timer farmer isn't interested in supply management. Other jobs will keep the business afloat if the risk fails.

Ironically, the east has just moved towards supply management.

Pro Business operation are great when times are good. Always greed prevails. But once it hits the fan....

Its bailout time....

Interesting, the farmers I know were dirt poor in the 60 and previous decades, but very self reliant.

Strange thing in the late 60s and 70s Farmers became millionaires and those became some of the most powerful small business operations in Ontario.

Only difference I have seen is the move from Family to Factory Farms, Its nothing like it was.

That said, Ontario farms have used a dual Market for many decades while that has not been the case in the west. The Farmers here made their choice. It has its pros and cons.

I'd say today Ontario Farmers are dependent upon about a Dozen corporations Dictating to them and the government does what the corps want.

So you could be right.

I can't speak to your experience, Max. Only to my own. I grew up between Stoney Creek and Binbrook in a rural area. I went to high school in Winona, along the QEW towards the Niagara fruit belt.

Over the years what I saw is that some farmers did become richer, but only because they ended up with fewer sharing the pie. Many farms went under. Those that were in marketing boards like poultry or dairy held quota, making them worthwhile to be bought up into larger but fewer operations. Others just went fallow, renting out their acreage for cash crops like soybeans or grain.

Niagara fared much worse. Not only did the family fruit farm begin to disappear but farmers could not sell their farms for other uses, due to a body called the Niagara Escarpment Commission. It's mandate was to "protect the green belt". It did this by refusing to allow farms to be sold for any other purpose but farming. This made a lot of Torontonians feel all warm and fuzzy but it meant the farmers were sitting on farms that were no longer profitable that they could not sell to get any equity. Remember, farmers get no business pension. Their equity is all in the farm. If the farm can' make money no other farmer will buy it. The NCC made sure no one else could buy it either. So the farmers mostly just cut down their fruit trees and the land lies fallow. If you want confirmation, just take a drive along that way and see for yourself.

So there has been a lot of consolidation. Niagara as a fruit belt is essentially gone. There are a few family farms where the owners have second jobs and try to get by selling to the general public from roadside stands. There is an annual Peach Festival in Winona but for years now there haven't been enough local peaches so they have quietly importing peaches from the States.

Binbrook is actually in much better shape. The farmers seem to be doing quite well. There are just FAR fewer of them!

Edited by Wild Bill

• 1 year later...

The dismantling of the Canadian Wheat Board may come back to haunt Stephen Harper. Logistics problems have hindered the delivery of grain by rail to ships for export. The CWB not only oversaw the market, but they handled the logistics as well. Prairie farmers are suffering as a result, while grain corporations are raking it in off their backs, just like people warned.

There is a direct correlation between the loss of the farmer-elected Canadian Wheat Board (CWB) and the current rail transportation boondoggle which will cost Prairie farmers over $5 billion in sales.

Full article here: http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/policyfix/2014/04/grain-trains-and-autocrats-farmers-pay-price-dismantling-wheat-boar?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rabble-news+%28rabble.ca+-+News+for+the+rest+of+us%29#.U1e2IkyEq5o.twitter