UN calls israeli raid 'excessive', 'unreasonable' and

bud

The report concluded that “Israel faces a real threat to its security from militant groups in Gaza” and had imposed the naval blockade “as a legitimate security measure” to prevent weapons from entering the strip by sea. Israeli commandos “faced significant, organized and violent resistance from a group of passengers when they boarded the Mavi Marmara, requiring them to use force for their own protection,” the report found.

Still, it said, “Israel’s decision to board the vessels with such substantial force at a great distance from the blockade zone and with no final warning immediately prior to the boarding was excessive and unreasonable. . . . The loss of life and injuries resulting from the use of force by Israeli forces during the takeover of the Mavi Marmara was unacceptable.”

link

two interesting notes:

the report's comments on the legality of the blockade contradicts the fact finding mission's conclusion from the HR council report.

and “Forensic evidence showing that most of the deceased were shot multiple times, including in the back, or at close range has not been adequately accounted for in the material presented by Israel,”

turkey has now expelled the israeli ambassador as israel declined to apologize for the deaths of the turkish citizens aboard the mavi marmara.

Edited by bud

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

It wasnt one sided. The report legitimized the siege of Gaza and reaffirmed Israels right to keep weapons from entering the strip... and had only muted critisism for Israels actions.

I have to admit I didn't bother reading the report - just as I don't bother listening to Fox News. When I don't think something is going to be "fair and balanced," I stop wasting my time with it.

Yeah. Real shocking that some people dismiss one-sided criticism.

:rolleyes:

it's not just UN report after UN report that criticizes israel. numerous human rights organizations criticize israel as well.

shocking that you would dismiss those as well.

Guest American Woman

you didn't read the report or the post you pressed reply to.

I didn't read the post for the same reason I didn't read the report - and I already explained why I didn't read the report.

Interesting.

Turkey expels Israeli Ambassador.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/09/02/gaza-flotilla-raid-report-israel-turkey-united-nations.html

Turkey is throwing the Israeli ambassador out of the country and cutting military ties over Israel's refusal to apologize for a deadly May 2010 raid on a flotilla of ships bound for Gaza.

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Friday that diplomatic ties are being downgraded, and all military ties between the two countries are suspended.

I didn't read the post for the same reason I didn't read the report - and I already explained why I didn't read the report.

then why did you 'waste your time' and continue to waste your time by pressing reply and responding to something you haven't even read?

you enjoy trolling?

Guest American Woman

then why did you 'waste your time' and continue to waste your time by pressing reply and responding to something you haven't even read?

you enjoy trolling?

What I "enjoy" is engaging in the few seconds it takes to highlight the fact that you have started yet another one-sided slanted thread condemning Israel and highlighting the reality that the UN spends more than a fair amount of time condemning Israel. That doesn't take much of my time and it's hardly a "waste." Considering the multiple threads you've started on the same topic and the number of times the UN has condemned Israel, I feel my response - which was to 'another day-another thread' and 'another report by the UN condemning Israel' aspect very relevant.

Edited by American Woman

What I "enjoy" is engaging in the few seconds it takes to highlight the fact that you have started yet another one-sided slanted thread condemning Israel and highlighting the reality that the UN spends more than a fair amount of time condemning Israel. That doesn't take much of my time and it's hardly a "waste." Considering the multiple of threads you've started on the same topic and the number of times the UN has condemned Israel, I feel my response - which was to 'another day-another thread' and 'another report by the UN condemning Israel' aspect very relevant.

you're trying to babble your way out of what is obvious; which is that you're trolling.

both the post you've wasted your time on replying to and the report have said that the israeli blockade is legal while the raid was excessive and the deaths unacceptable. hardly one-sided.

i expect more denial by you. you've become an expert in that.

Why am I suddenly missing Naomi? :P

I stop wasting my time with it.

6 posts later, american woman doesn't want to waste time reading the post she's replying to and instead, engage in trolling.

why am i suddenly missing dancer and saipan?

Guest American Woman

UN calls israeli raid 'excessive', 'unreasonable'

What does UN call Chinese attack and occupation of Tibet??????

This is my point. The UN spends so much time criticizing Israel - yet so little time criticizing others.

Guest American Woman

I hope Israel does feel somewhat vindicated.

The United Nation’s long-awaited Palmer Report on the Gaza flotilla incident has now been released, and, from Israel’s perspective it has to be seen as a major win. The committee firmly decides that the blockade is legal and notes that an essential element of a legal element is that it has to be enforced consistently (which means intercepting folks trying to breach it, and can entail forcibly boarding resisting vessels).

link

I have to question the finding that Israel used "excessive and unreasonable" force though, in light of the report's finding "that the the Israeli soldiers who boarded the Mavi Marmara did face violent resistance."

I hope Israel does feel somewhat vindicated.

The United Nation’s long-awaited Palmer Report on the Gaza flotilla incident has now been released, and, from Israel’s perspective it has to be seen as a major win. The committee firmly decides that the blockade is legal and notes that an essential element of a legal element is that it has to be enforced consistently (which means intercepting folks trying to breach it, and can entail forcibly boarding resisting vessels).

link

I have to question the finding that Israel used "excessive and unreasonable" force though, in light of the report's finding "that the the Israeli soldiers who boarded the Mavi Marmara did face violent resistance."

Right. Anything less than a complete vindication of Israel is UN bias.

Guest American Woman

Right. Anything less than a complete vindication of Israel is UN bias.

Since when is questioning something an accusation of bias?

:rolleyes:

Edited by American Woman