Gawd Damn Toronto!

I didn't hear every person that spoke. Who did? But from what I gather it was people that wanted zero cuts and higher taxes. Of course it wouldn't be them paying for the taxes.

Mayor Ford said that there just isn't enough money to pay for some of the frills the city has.

Here's a good column by the STAR!!!!!

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1031957--dimanno-nothing-is-sacred-even-libraries-as-city-must-bite-the-bullet

AC isn’t a right. Neither, for that matter, is a library within handy access by foot. It would simply be nice. And nice is no longer affordable for a municipality drowning in debt. If securing a bright future for our children — including those kids used as props by mummies who delivered deputations before the executive committee Thursday — is indeed a core objective, and surely everybody is agreed on this, then lightening the accrued debt burden on tomorrow’s generation of adults, and the impact on their children, is a matter of urgency. Deferring painful cost cuts today or playing three-card Monte with the fiscals to hide the red only passes the buck and that’s how we ended up in this fix.

It is not a manufactured crisis. Those of us who grew up in Toronto can see first-hand how the city has degenerated in essential public services delivered while public funds continue propping up boutique programs and political legacy pork-barrelling. The day of reckoning has arrived.

What it appears is that everyone that spoke thinks the service they use is a civil right.

Apparently a lady came that said she couldn't think of paying more for a city run fitness program so taxes should be raised. When asked how she could consider paying more for taxes but not more for a user fee. She went on a rant about people that have 2-car garages. She just wanted other people to pay for the services she uses.

Another lady came on and sarcastically said that perhaps the mayor should cut all services and make Toronto only a place for the rich. I'm sure this meeting was made so some busy-body could come up and use hyperbole implying that if any cuts are made it's the same is cutting the whole budget.

From what I hear almost no one that spoke had concrete solutions to solve the problem. Unless of course you just want to put your head in the sand and deny that there is a problem.

Apparently to make up a quarter billion in revenue from property taxes alone would take a 30% hike. Who'd be willing to pay that?

But props to Mayor Ford for sitting there all day and night to listen to everyone.

Edited by Boges

This city is a filthy soot hole...and if anyone had any sense they would leave this stupid artifical environment and move to the country. The place is just a fancey prison...full of dirt and stress.. Those who flock to cities in general and live in one by choice are utterly dumb - If I could afford to re-locate I would abandon this shit hole in a Toronto minite.

I'm sure Ford has plenty of solutions. He just wanted to let people talk too. He did just that.

Did you hear the lady that sang a song?

What about the dood that called Ford a drunk and wanted to fight him.

Then there was the lady that said Ford is threatening to take away children's parks so they won't be able to collect Pine Cones anymore.

Sounds like Ford and the rest of Council. Why pick on people who at least got off their ass and attended.

That's a good thing to attend - problem is that most that take an active part in politics are a bit on the dumb side - for some strange reason smart people let things slide until it is to late. Where are our leaders? A bunch of left wing twits and extremist spite driven rightests...are interested in mouthing off in a public forum - the smart people know that it's hopeless...because the sytem it totally clogged up by idiots - That seems to be the trend these days...poitical grid lock....folks stuck in traffic sitting stupifed and burning fuel going no where.

Well you know if I posted a story from the SUN, you'd say the exact opposite I did.

Not all Star columnists are militant idiots like Heather Mallick and Joe Fiorito.

Really? I would condemn the SUN one minute and call it a beacon of the shining truth the next? :blink:

I hardly think so.

I'm not a fan of the Star's editorial bias. Just this one column has an agreeable opinion to mine, that's all.

An important disctinction indeed. The "agreeable opinion" part. Forget the disagreeable opinion because, you know, it is always meaningless. Right?

An important disctinction indeed. The "agreeable opinion" part. Forget the disagreeable opinion because, you know, it is always meaningless. Right?

Well I know you're responding to my reaction to the story about libraries. In which a reporter just went to a library and asked people why they were there. Not exactly hard-nosed journalism.

Don't get me wrong, The Star is my online news source usually. But their editorial slant and mine often disagree. But that's part of the fun.

Between liberalism - passification - gayification..secularism - abortion.....we are short staffed and in dire need of leaders..to bad we either ruined our young or stopped the bright ones from being born.

Pacification????

Where have you been for the past ten years? You think we're insufficiently warlike at the moment? :)

Pacification????

Where have you been for the past ten years? You think we're insufficiently warlike at the moment? :)

Kicking around a bunch of goat herdes who are high on opium half the time does not make one war like. The average urban hipster with the tatoos on their neck and arms is not even capable of protecting his girl friend in the bad part of town...no..we are not war like in the least...liberal democracys are like hippy communes that are raided and robbed by bikers...and the hippy says as the tough guy rides away with his pound of pot.."Hey man that's not cool".

Kicking around a bunch of goat herdes who are high on opium half the time does not make one war like. The average urban hipster with the tatoos on their neck and arms is not even capable of protecting his girl friend in the bad part of town...no..we are not war like in the least...liberal democracys are like hippy communes that are raided and robbed by bikers...and the hippy says as the tough guy rides away with his pound of pot.."Hey man that's not cool".

Just like the two world wars actually, where the real men went off to fight for freedom leaving the cities in the hands of the sissies. Right?