Next Liberal leader

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought I would say this, but... it would appear that having the NDP in second place is actually the natural order of things. It does make sense when you look around the world. Either the management controls or the unions do. Back and forth till eternity. It's happening right now in almost every city in Canada. The poor, ridiculed management team who really have never done any harm to anyone.

And the pro-union thugs who try to lie and cheat and steal and insult the unfairly demonized members of the management team.

It's just so clear.

(Punked, in case it's still broken, your sarcasm meter should be bleeping and vibrating by now)

I never thought I would say this, but... it would appear that having the NDP in second place is actually the natural order of things. It does make sense when you look around the world. Either the management controls or the unions do. Back and forth till eternity. It's happening right now in almost every city in Canada. The poor, ridiculed management team who really have never done any harm to anyone.

And the pro-union thugs who try to lie and cheat and steal and insult the unfairly demonized members of the management team.

It's just so clear.

(Punked, in case it's still broken, your sarcasm meter should be bleeping and vibrating by now)

I am just pointing out in every other first past the post system it is between a Labor party and a Conservative party. Want me to name them?

UK- Labour vs. Cons

Australia- Labour vs. Cons

New Zealand- Labour vs. Cons

Pakistan- Peoples Party(A Labour party) vs. Muslim League (Conservative)

Mexico- Democratic Revolution(A Labour party) vs. National Action Party (Conservative)

The list goes on. I think South Korea might be one of the only countries left where Liberals are party with a shot.

The NDP will have a lot of pressure on their hands possibly being the official opposition or in government and their future will likely depend on how their new MPs do. It's not very often you get a party that the majority of the caucus are brand new.

1993- Over half the Liberal caucus was new

1984- Over Half the Conservative caucus was new

1958- Over Half the Conservative caucus was new

1962- Over Half the Liberal caucus was new

Just by the way our system works when the government changes you get a majority of the caucus is new. I feel like you like making blanket statements but usually as a rule blanket statements about politics are wrong.

[quote name='punked' date='01 May 2011 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1304307168' post='666389'

Just by the way our system works when the government changes you get a majority of the caucus is new.

Okay but we're not just talking "new". We're talking about a group of people that accepted the nomination as a prank. They (and everybody else) never imagined they would even register when it came to results, never mind win a seat. Some of your people are doing bong hits at parties or keg stands on vacation while the votes are cast.

1993- Over half the Liberal caucus was new

1984- Over Half the Conservative caucus was new

1958- Over Half the Conservative caucus was new

1962- Over Half the Liberal caucus was new

Just by the way our system works when the government changes you get a majority of the caucus is new. I feel like you like making blanket statements but usually as a rule blanket statements about politics are wrong.

I'm just brining up the fact that having a caucus that the majority are brand new, and possibly people who never ran to win, is much harder then have a caucus that was slowly built into one that is larger. I know it has happened before but it doesn't mean it was easy for those parties.

I'm not to familiar with the riding or anything but the NDP didn't even get 15% of the vote in that riding in 2008 and they came in third. The Liberal candidate is Rana Sarkar who was President and Chief Executive Officer of the Canada-India Business Council, he also worked in Derek Lee's office and has an impressive resume. This must be a real big star for the NDP if she has a shot at winning.

Guess she must have been a real big star eh? Schooled! I was just telling you what I heard from the ground and you dismissed it!

Edited by punked

The Liberal Party needs to stop nominating old, grey-haired, white dudes. The need to re-energize the party and engage with a broader demographic. Picking someone like Rae or LeBlanc will just make the party look like more of the same.

They need to go big. They need to nominate a strong woman to the leadership. Who that would be, I don't know, but it's time.

The Liberal Party needs to stop nominating old, grey-haired, white dudes. The need to re-energize the party and engage with a broader demographic. Picking someone like Rae or LeBlanc will just make the party look like more of the same.

They need to go big. They need to nominate a strong woman to the leadership. Who that would be, I don't know, but it's time.

Kirsty Duncan?

Okay but we're not just talking "new". We're talking about a group of people that accepted the nomination as a prank. They (and everybody else) never imagined they would even register when it came to results, never mind win a seat. Some of your people are doing bong hits at parties or keg stands on vacation while the votes are cast.

You have a cite to prove this or is this just more of your fluff opinion!

Youth is very important and it brings a powerful element to the table that many underestimate!

Whenever you say "every body else" you mean everybody with their head in the sand in Alberta!

Get ready to watch your little world crumble piece by piece when the NDP start picking away at Fort Saskatchewan and Alberta.

Its a tuff nut for sure and it may leave a bad taste in your mouth but when I last checked that Edmonton seat is still in the hands of the NDP!

WWWTT

[/quote

Well is now the Tories with those old grey-hair members and O'Connor has to be the oldest, is 70! I can see what is wrong with Rae, too much baggage from Ontario but what is wrong with LeBlanc??? You have to have someone with experience in the House and the way the government works.

Kirsty Duncan?

Nope. Maybe one day, but not now.

What the LPC needs first - is a re-tooling of their philosophy to reflect the 21st century. Then they need someone who can go into Parliament, be aggressive and take a principled stand - fluently, in both official languages - based on the new philosophy of the centre. Did I say aggressive?

Mr. Ignatieff was Caspar Milquetoast.

The well-mannered, reflective intellects may be good for the backroom or some quaint ministry, but they just won't do as a party leader.

What the LPC needs is as 'just watch me' attitude with a clear vision to what the future can hold.

They need that "just watch" me attitude, but I think it would be best if they could find it from a woman.

They need Sandra Pupatello from Windsor to move into federal politics. She has been kicking ass as an MPP for years. She has a no-nonsense attitude and gets things done for her constituents. The only problem is that I don't see her unseating Brian Masse or Joe Comartin. She may, however, just be waiting for Comartin to retire.

They need that "just watch" me attitude, but I think it would be best if they could find it from a woman.

They need Sandra Pupatello from Windsor to move into federal politics. She has been kicking ass as an MPP for years. She has a no-nonsense attitude and gets things done for her constituents. The only problem is that I don't see her unseating Brian Masse or Joe Comartin. She may, however, just be waiting for Comartin to retire.

Her husband was the joke that became leader of the NL Liberals but was booted after two or three months.

I also agree with you, I liked the way she took on Baird in the committee meeting when he came in saying, deal with me!

She can duke it out with the best of them. She's also very educated and had run a number of companies.

Denis Coderre is calling on Bob Rae to become interim leader for the next two years and then hold their convention.

Denis Coderre is calling on Bob Rae to become interim leader for the next two years and then hold their convention.

If Rae declares his intention to run for the leadership I would expect that disqualifies him. A potential leadership candidate should not be selected interim leader.