New Mad Cow case in USA possible

I am pretty sure that it did not go ahead Caesar but I cannot say with certainty. I will look into this. I still think that we gotta stop feeding animal products to other animals. It just invites problems in my opinion. If people are interested, David Suzuki's "Nature of Things" has a great program called "Apocalypse Cow: The Mad Cow Story" on Thursday , November 25, 2004, and Sunday, November 28, 2004. It is a great program.

I agree Cartman but they need to quit feeding blood and blood products to calves; last time I was involved in a discussion of BSE we had not done so in Canada.

I do not want to eat old dairy cows. They seem to be the ones most prevalent to being diagnosed with BSE, Partly, due to their age but perhaps because they were fed the blood by products instead of mothers milk as calves. Not likely that they would be feeding beef calves by products for milk as they are not used for their milk.

We had a dairy farm; we NEVER ate our old dairy cows nor sold them for eating purposes; they were taken away for fox feed.

The USDA has reported that the BSE test results are negative on this latest cow from Texas. Do you believe them?

This certainly is more than a little strange:

Creekstone still having cutbacks

Creekstone Farms Premium Beef, of Arkansas City, brought national attention to the issue of testing for mad cow disease earlier this year when it asked federal officials for permission to test every animal slaughtered at its plant. That request was denied

• 1 month later...

Just when it looked like it was all over.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/Article...?hub=topstories

Despite the rapid pace of their investigation, Canadian officials say they can't yet rule out the possibility so-called mad cows have entered the food system.

I would not surprised if Bush put another ban on Canadian beef. He is already under pressure from his own beef industry to do so and now this? As Suzuki said, this sounds like Britain all over again.

Just to clarify, I know we are all aware of this development but earlier we claimed that the animal had most clearly not entered the food chain at all and now we are retracting that just like we did the first one. Japan will also have something to say about this.

• 5 months later...

Second case of mad cow disease confirmed

It'll be interesting to see where this cow came from. If I recall correctly, when the first case was discovered in Washington State, they knew rather quickly that the cow came from Canada. (Again, if I recall correctly, Canada has a better ID system).

IMHO, I think this will be bad for Canadian ranchers.

If this is, for want of a better term, an American cow, countries like Japan will probably continue their ban on US beef, which means there will be a further need on the behalf of US ranchers to rely on their own domestic market.

This will lead to more protectionism by groups like R-Calf.

EDIT- FoxNews is reporting (so it must be true ;) ) that:

Tests have confirmed mad cow disease in what appears to be the first case in a U.S.-born animal, the Agriculture Department said Friday. Officials would not specify where the case turned up, but Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said there is no evidence the cow was imported.