Things just went from bad to worse for the Liberals.

I agree this is my point from the start. The Cree BTW in 1995 voted overwhelming to stay in Canada and take all of Quebec Power with them. Quebec would be in pretty tough Shape after that especially if Newfoundland and NS Run an under sea Power Cable to their provinces because then the new Cree province wouldn't even need Quebec to sell its power to the US.
Well the Crees would be sovereign but they would have to protect property owners to have any credibility so the dams would still belong to Quebec Hydro. The only thing that could change is Quebec Hydro would now have to share some revenue with the Crees.

Well the Crees would be sovereign but they would have to protect property owners to have any credibility so the dams would still belong to Quebec Hydro. The only thing that could change is Quebec Hydro would now have to share some revenue with the Crees.

Maybe or Canada could play Hardball and Dame the rivers upstream. The rivers would belong to Canada not Quebec.

And if Quebecseperated

succeeded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation

---it would no longer be a province and its borders would be a matter of negotiation.---

This is a problematic ascertation --- it would be a province but not part of the Canadian Federation.

You got to understand that Canada is an act called the "Canada Act", prior that it is a British "dominion" -- the nature of "state" is complex if you don't understand it. There are states, government, nations, etc...

No Quebec's borders were defined by the BNA 1867 (constitution act 1867)

Any legal authority that Quebec has to prevent the Crees from seperating also grants Canada the right to prevent Quebec from seperating.

Canada was given Rupert's land by Britain, Canada gave it to Quebec on condition it entered treaty with the natives -- it did some quite some time later. READ THE LINKS. It is part of Quebec, it is not Federal Crown land. The treaties are between the Quebec and the native groups there. Canada has nothing to do with it because Quebec was given the title. As long as the cree and inuit are "part of Canada" and don't declare independence THEY ARE IN QUEBEC.. their rights and benefits (which arn't that bad, such as certian amounts of royaltiies and the right to hunt on lands, and ownership of reserve lands)

If Quebec wishes to make a moral claim to justify seperation then it cannot morally deny that the Crees have the same right to seperate from Quebec.

THEY FORMED TREATIES TO DETERMINE STATUS OF THE LAND WHAT DON'T YOU GET ABOUT THIS?

Some individuals can say they wern't represented but they would have to have some right of authority that doesn't place them under the authority of someone who did agree. If they are part of a non egalitarian community then it would likely require independence.

I'm not saying people couldn't challenge it but "the natives" are represented by corporations that are recognized to represent them. Individuals who were seeking other agreement or claim would need to "seperate from this" and would have to present a claim. However most native "tribes" have already consented to this. --- I think everyone has right to claim all but respect must be found somewhere, and frankly if it is at a level of militancy for control, well that is war.

Edited by William Ashley

THEY FORMED TREATIES TO DETERMINE STATUS OF THE LAND WHAT DON'T YOU GET ABOUT THIS?
And Quebec willing signed the BNA Act which means it cannot leave Canada unless it negotiates a constitutional amendment. Negotiating that constitutional amendment will likely require some major concessions to the Crees.

Quebec could always invade Creeland and conquer it, resolving the issue of not having the access to hydro power.

No the Cree voted to stay in Canada in their own province so Quebec could not do that unless they wanted a war with Canada which I don't think would play out to well.

Oh no but the economic gong show would have already left the station, the crees would just use expropriation. When the seperation crisis starts, the wheels start falling off when the crees get involved. I wouldn't worry about their hydro, I'd worry about the seaway revenue drying up.

Oh no but the economic gong show would have already left the station, the crees would just use expropriation. When the seperation crisis starts, the wheels start falling off when the crees get involved. I wouldn't worry about their hydro, I'd worry about the seaway revenue drying up.

In the end the ace in the hole is that Quebec would be shrunk because the whole North would disappear and this is where all their money comes from. Montreal might be the engine but Northern Quebec is the Economic fuel.

In the end the ace in the hole is that Quebec would be shrunk because the whole North would disappear and this is where all their money comes from. Montreal might be the engine but Northern Quebec is the Economic fuel.

The seaway is another source of revenue. CN and CP rail have made significant investments in the USA especially around the mississippi. If quebec seperates there won't be too much boats on the sea way. Ouch!!! The bond vigilantes would be hauling ass out because it would be a matter of time before they would default.