Liberal universal child care plan

I'm getting a sense of deja vu.

The fund – the “Early Childhood Learning and Care Fund” – would rise to $1-billion annually by the fourth year if the Liberals form government, according to background documents circulated to reporters by Ignatieff officials.

Where does the money come from? An Ignatieff official briefing reporters would not say exactly where, noting that money saved from reversing the Tory corporate tax cuts – the Liberals estimate $6-billion – would help pay for the programs.

However that nest egg is depleting as Mr. Ignatieff has already made more than $3-billion in promises so far.

The Liberals could also not put a “precise” number of the number of new childcare spaces that would be created. The Ignatieff official said that depends on what the provinces and territories do, since they administer the childcare and early learning centres.

---

This is another attempt by the Liberals to create a national childcare program. In the 2008 election, Stéphane Dion pledged to scale up spending on childcare to reach $1.25-billion over four years, creating 165,000 spaces. And in 2005-06, Paul Martin had pledged $5-billion for a childcare program.

Last February, meanwhile, Mr. Ignatieff said there would be a national childcare program despite the huge $56-billion deficit. “This is the No. 1 social priority of an incoming Liberal government,” he had said at the time.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ignatieff-vows-to-spend-500-million-on-childcare-in-first-budget/article1964731/

I'm reminded of an Ignatieff quote from the 2008 election.

This election is a battle for the centre ground of Canadian life. Mr. Harper wants you to believe our party has abandoned the centre ground. He wants you to believe we have swung left. He's wrong," said Mr. Ignatieff

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ignatieff-vows-to-spend-500-million-on-childcare-in-first-budget/article1964731/

From where I sit the Liberal march left continues unabated. Perhaps the CBC Compass election tool should be amended to reposition the Liberals to the left, straddling the NDP.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From where I sit the Liberal march left continues unabated. Perhaps the CBC Compass election tool should be amended to reposition the Liberals to the left, straddling the NDP.

Child care is just a left wing issue? It's conservative policy to let them play in the street when both parents are working?

I am reminded that I have voted for the Liberals at least 3 times because of that promise...and 3 times left hanging. The only one who was ever to actually show the money were the Conservatives, and I didn't vote for then that time.

Foll me once, shame on you, fool me two times more....

I am reminded that I have voted for the Liberals at least 3 times because of that promise...and 3 times left hanging. The only one who was ever to actually show the money were the Conservatives, and I didn't vote for then that time.

Foll me once, shame on you, fool me two times more....

I couldn't agree more with the unfinished sentiment.

That's why the people who provide it are licensed Early Childhood Educators.

...are you saying the people are licensed? Are you quite sure about that?

At least not in Ontario...no license required to be an ECE.

Taxes would have to be raised if they impose a government-run nanny care scheme which will cost billions of dollars and - ignore family choices. This brings about a credibility gap on their deficit issue as delivering on this nanny care bureaucracy will increase the deficit.

Taxes would have to be raised if they impose a government-run nanny care scheme which will cost billions of dollars and - ignore family choices. This brings about a credibility gap on their deficit issue as delivering on this nanny care bureaucracy will increase the deficit.

"Ignore family choices"?

I hadn't heard it was to involve mandatory attendance.

Edited by bloodyminded

So have I so far.. and it's hellishly expensive, basically a mortgage payment per month.

Yep....when our first child first went to daycare it was $1175per month...our second child went to a non profit (not city owned) and it was $750...$650 after the Conservative child care supplement.

It was expensive, but I didn't expect other taxpayers to pay for my choice to have children.

It may not be mandatory to put your kids in the nationalized day care, but if one chooses not to, will they be reimbursed so they can go elsewhere - don't think so. How many private day care centres do you really think will be operating once it's all nationalized and state run.

The best way is to reduce the tax burden on families so they can make their own choices. I do disagree with the fitness tax credit, why should I have to pay for social activities.

It was expensive, but I didn't expect other taxpayers to pay for my choice to have children.

It may not be mandatory to put your kids in the nationalized day care, but if one chooses not to, will they be reimbursed so they can go elsewhere - don't think so. How many private day care centres do you really think will be operating once it's all nationalized and state run.

The best way is to reduce the tax burden on families so they can make their own choices. I do disagree with the fitness tax credit, why should I have to pay for social activities.

Yes, and there's health care, summits, and wars without stated purpose. Everyone has their tax complaints, and every one of these complaints is of tax costs which are supported by others.

I think tax credits are the way to go.... preferable to subsidies because it gives the parent the choice...and the credit should be for the child and for the parents to do with as they see fit.

As a single father I paid my own babysitter for two boys $8,000 a year. (washed cotton diapers after work, while cooking) Now $8,000 in those days was same as $20,000 today (I worked three shifts)

But they were my kids not the government's

It's interesting Liberals didn't do much in 12 years. Except the promise of goodies they made leaving office. Now they are generous again [with our money] . I'm surprise they don't promise again to "kill HST" if elected.

As a single father I paid my own babysitter for two boys $8,000 a year. (washed cotton diapers after work, while cooking)

It sounds like you're summoning a good ol' days hardship, justifiably relieved at having avoided e. coli. Your point?

But they were my kids not the government's

Paid childcare is paid childcare. The children are no more or less their parents depending on whether it's a private or a public institution.

Edited by bloodyminded

It sounds like you're summoning a good ol' days hardship, justifiably relieved at having avoided e. coli. Your point?

Single parenting is hardship yet no reason for anyone else to pay for my family. And that is the point.

Likewise with sport or hobbies. Why should I pay for someone's golf or hockey??

Edited by Saipan