Lost Atlantis Found and it Was Real

jbg

The lost civilization of Atlantis was apparently found!!! Story, link in title, excerpts below:

Lost city of Atlantis, swamped by tsunami, may be found

By Zach Howard

NORTHAMPTON, Mass | Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:36am EST

NORTHAMPTON, Mass (Reuters) - A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

While it is hard to know with certainty that the site in Spain in Atlantis, Freund said the "twist" of finding the memorial cities makes him confident Atlantis was buried in the mud flats on Spain's southern coast.

"We found something that no one else has ever seen before, which gives it a layer of credibility, especially for archeology, that makes a lot more sense," Freund said.

Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as "an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules," as the Straits of Gibraltar were known in antiquity. Using Plato's detailed account of Atlantis as a map, searches have focused on the Mediterranean and Atlantic as the best possible sites for the city.

Debate about whether Atlantis truly existed has lasted for thousands of years. Plato's "dialogues" from around 360 B.C. are the only known historical sources of information about the iconic city. Plato said the island he called Atlantis "in a single day and night... disappeared into the depths of the sea."

Given what we've seen on the news about the power of tsunamis, who knows, this may be true. In any case I want to believe it.

Edited by jbg

All myth is based in fact.

Not necessarily but most oral histories, as recorded in later form in such writings such as Plato's or the Bible are largely, in my opinion, based upon historical facts.

All myth is based in fact.

Imagine the disappointment when the hippies hear that the archaeologists can't find any evidence of Atlantean power crystals.

On a more serious note, this possible discovery of "Atlantis" is going to reveal a completely run of the mill city. At which point the believers are going to insist that this isn't the "real" Atlantis and the search will go on.

Imagine the disappointment when the hippies hear that the archaeologists can't find any evidence of Atlantean power crystals.

Donovan - Atlantis lyrics (link)

The continent of Atlantis was an island which lay before the great flood

in the area we now call the Atlantic Ocean.

So great an area of land, that from her western shores

those beautiful sailors journeyed to the South and the North Americas with ease,

in their ships with painted sails.

To the East Africa was a neighbour, across a short strait of sea miles.

The great Egyptian age is but a remnant of The Atlantian culture.

The antediluvian kings colonised the world

All the Gods who play in the mythological dramas

In all legends from all lands were from fair Atlantis.

Knowing her fate, Atlantis sent out ships to all corners of the Earth.

On board were the Twelve:

The poet, the physician, the farmer, the scientist,

The magician and the other so-called Gods of our legends.

Though Gods they were -

And as the elders of our time choose to remain blind

Let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new

Hail Atlantis!

Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be,

Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.

Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.

My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah,

I wanna see you some day

My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah,

My antediluvian baby,

My antediluvian baby, I love you, girl,

Girl, I wanna see you some day.

My antediluvian baby, oh yeah

I wanna see you some day, oh

My antediluvian baby.

My antediluvian baby, I wanna see you

My antediluvian baby, gotta tell me where she gone

I wanna see you some day

Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, oh yeah

Oh glub glub, down down, yeah

My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah yeah yeah

On a more serious note, this possible discovery of "Atlantis" is going to reveal a completely run of the mill city. At which point the believers are going to insist that this isn't the "real" Atlantis and the search will go on.

Who knows?

I've seen the Mayan pyramids at Chichen Itza (jokingly called "chicken pizza" at Club Med Cancun from which I sortied to see them) and Uxmal. They are hardly "run of the mill".

• 1 year later...

Well, at least one Atlantis sighting debunked (link, excerpt below). Apparently, not the one from the opening post, which is as of now intact. Does Donovan, the singer of this song (link) have any views?

Excerpt from linked article:

The expert analysis suggests this is just a glacial deposit that the Ocean X Team "discovered" in a low-resolution sonar scan. Widespread media coverage, fame and a worldwide Internet following have since ensued. Lindberg laments the fact that no organizations will sponsor his investigation.
Edited by jbg