Natives have right too says Canada

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There doesn't seem to be much on it but the seal hunt and other non-commercial hunting regulation First Nations have to contend with would suggest that they have to get a license like everyone else when it comes to commercial hunting.

Nope. Their rights are license enough.

However, while it would side with FN to allow them to sell their game commercially. hasn't been fully tested to date it is likely that the courts. The judgments rendered in the SCoC and more recently in Canada Tax Court are clear the fish caught off reserve and sold commercially are personal property qua Indian and as such is not taxable, or limited. In another case a number of years ago, about 8-10 native hunters went into a provincial park to harvest deer. The first time they went in they harvested about 80 deer. The MNR charged them and the charges were promptly thrown out of court. The second time they culled about 50 deer and were charged a second time. The Crown withdrew the last charges citing that they believed that the aboriginal right to hunt exceed the MNR's jurisdiction over the park (the park was part of the traditional hunting area for the FN). Most of the venison went to Toronto for distribution and some was retained for the reserve. The knowingly did this in front of the MNR and with the court's knowledge. This one move extended the right of possession for personal consumption to distribution (without even inspection mind you) for other's consumption - which in considered illegal under provincial law. However, the have establish a clear right to hunt and share the meat.\

\

In Mitchell v. MNR the SCoC establish that the Mohawks have a clear commercial east-west trading right that would seem to coincide with these actions.

BTW. Native people in Ontario do not need to possess tags or licenses to hunt, and may do so unrestricted anytime of the year. They do not have to register their guns in the national registry either so there is a clear distinction between native rights and regulation imposed on us but not applicable on them.

However, the have establish a clear right to hunt and share the meat.\

They didn't establish that, they just got away with it for now, because of politics :)

They do not have to register their guns in the national registry either

Yes, because their ancestor invented firearms :)

Btw, why do you think there's any need to register firearms?

They didn't establish that, they just got away with it for now, because of politics :)

No. The court recognized their right to hunt and dropped the charges.

Yes, because their ancestor invented firearms :)

No. Because they are self-governing. When the gun registry was first implemented they quickly created their own law.

Btw, why do you think there's any need to register firearms?

Because they have their own registry system on reserve. A right they have because they are a different nation than us, and we made an agreement to recognize them as long as the grass grows and the rivers flow.

Then you can finaly stop complaining about those who supposedly break the law. You support breaking the law.

Depends on law.

"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"A strict observation of the written laws is doubtless one of the high

duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher

obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written

law, would be to lost the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all

those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to

the means."

- - - Thomas Jefferson 1810.

"You do not examine legislation in light of the benefits it will convey if

properly administered, but in light of the wrongs it would do and the

harms it would cause if improperly administered."

~ ~ Lyndon B. Johnson

"Law never made men a whit more just; and, by means of

their respect for it, even the well disposed are daily made

the agents of injustice."

- - Henry David Thoreau

Depends on law.

"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"A strict observation of the written laws is doubtless one of the high

duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher

obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written

law, would be to lost the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all

those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to

the means."

- - - Thomas Jefferson 1810.

"You do not examine legislation in light of the benefits it will convey if

properly administered, but in light of the wrongs it would do and the

harms it would cause if improperly administered."

~ ~ Lyndon B. Johnson

"Law never made men a whit more just; and, by means of

their respect for it, even the well disposed are daily made

the agents of injustice."

- - Henry David Thoreau

Depends on dead guy quotes. When you get busted, be sure to quote Thoreau. No wait. When you get busted, let me know so I can attend your hearing, then quote Thoreau. Thanks!

Edited by Shwa

Depends on facts. Quotes only help to understand. Pythagoras is dead much longer :D

Exactly! So I implore you to present your "facts" in court and see how well they stand up. Plus, use quotes from your various sources to help the court "understand." Then let us know what the results are. I for one, would really appreciate your efforts at clearing this all up for everyone.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, Angus. Different name but the same old crap!

Like a TV set with nothing but CSI spinoffs...

Its interesting to read your post wb. You assume so much.

Maybe, one day, Caledonia and Six Nations will find the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

They all deserve it.

WB, any chance you would like to argue this post without looking for others to put the stake in the plate before you eat?

Unlike you, I do not find this crap 'entertaining' my day-in or my day-out.

Its interesting to read your post wb. You assume so much.

Maybe, one day, Caledonia and Six Nations will find the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

They all deserve it.

WB, any chance you would like to argue this post without looking for others to put the stake in the plate before you eat?

Unlike you, I do not find this crap 'entertaining' my day-in or my day-out.

Save your breath!

Life is too short!

Another one for my ignore list.

• 1 month later...

Save your breath!

Life is too short!

Another one for my ignore list.

This comes as no surprise whatsoever. You have no valid point of view backed by fact or truth so it is easier to 'CUT!' and run.

How long is your list of ignore now?

My best guess would have you and Santa Claus competing for first place regarding who's list is longer in the naughty catagory.

Popeye he took the time to point out your glaring errors in logic and was civil about it. You chose to persist in a balogna line of thought and made it rather clear you weren't going to use your brain. That's pretty solid 'ignore' criteria.

Welcome to MLW.

Edited by Moonbox

• 2 weeks later...

Popeye he took the time to point out your glaring errors in logic and was civil about it. You chose to persist in a balogna line of thought and made it rather clear you weren't going to use your brain. That's pretty solid 'ignore' criteria.

Welcome to MLW.

Actually, "He" got upset when I entered the conversation.

I have no problem answering questions, entertaining a challenging and thoughtful question, or answering accordingly.

I can also read.

What I will NOT do is send others to do my bidding or "buddy up" to cover for any failing that I may or may not have to cover my ass. Capisce?

Since they have a difference system of law and the Supreme Court instituted that Courts must provide Gladue Reports for aboriginal offenders, to avoid incarceration at all possibility. It is the law.

Nope. As the site YOU quote demonstrates, the law is that REASONABLE alternatives needs to be considered. Not the same.

Nope. As the site YOU quote demonstrates, the law is that REASONABLE alternatives needs to be considered. Not the same.

Exactly. Gladue reports are not required; S.718.2(e) of the Criminal Code states "all available sanctions other than imprisonment that are reasonable [emphasis mine] in the circumstances should be considered for all offenders, with particular attention to the circumstances of aboriginal offenders." The Glaude principal is disregarded if the crime is serious.

[+]

Edited by g_bambino