The Road

AngusThermopyle

Lately I've seen posts about zombie sex slaves and Leo Decrappio movies that people seem to think are quite good. So I'm quite surprised that no one has mentioned this one yet. Its based on the Pulitzer prize winning novel of the same title and if its any indication of the book then it would be a very fine read indeed.

Yes, its another end of the world story, but with a difference. In this one the end of the world is not actually the focus of the story, rather it serves as the vehicle by which the story of a man trying to protect his son is told.

To sum it up briefly without giving too much away. Vigo Mortensen (the man) is married, his wife is pregnant, they have a nice home in the country, horses, trees, all that stuff. One night/evening/morning he awakens in bed next to his wife, there is an orange glow in the room coming from the window. He rushes to the window then into the bathroom and starts filling the tub. The scene cuts to a later time.

Things have changed, one can sense they live in fear and abject misery. At this point his son is born. The world he is born into is bleak and cold, no life, nothing growing, just an eternal winter. At this point, nine or ten years on, the wife is gone, she leaves in order to give them, as she puts it, her last great gift. Two can survive easier than three in this world. With the lack of food people have turned to the only food source availlable, people. Vigo teaches his son that this is a path they can not and will not take, they survive as they can by scavenging.

He decides their only chance of survival is to head south, look for a warmer clime. This is where the story really takes off as he tries to protect his son while assuring him they are the good guys.

I wont tell you any more of the story from this point on, save to say that it is very moving and actually deeply affecting. Its a movie that really does provoke a great deal of thought in the viewer, especially after the movie ends.

Take my word on this one folks, it really is worth renting, actually I'm going to buy it for my collection.

No spoilers ! :angry:

I wouldn't call the ending exactly happy, but...

Agreed that this was glum, glum, glum... well-done though. Also, it didn't get enough attention.

if that was a happy ending :( ...I hate to see an example of a sad ending...very well thought out movie... likely an accurate scenario of what the end of civilization will be like...

I will depart from my old lady persona for just a moment to say.... anything with Viggo Mortenson is worth watching! I may be old, but I'm not dead!

Hahaha... settle down there hormones!!! :lol:

I thought it was a great movie as well, though as I have a son about the same age as Viggos characters kid, I found it quite sad and actually teared up a couple times.

As far as the whole apopolyptic genre goes, it was really well done.

Well you are right Melanie, it certainly was glum and dismal. If you think about it though, what would such a situation be like. I doubt it would be sunshine and roses, remember, everything is dead and the earth is clouded in a perpetual overcast. So no doubt even ones very existance would be glum and gloomy.

For me I found the parts where Vigo is teaching his son certain neccesities he needs to know to avoid capture to be very powerfull, also where they are in the house when the occupants come home.

In my opinion it was absolutely far beyond other movies in the genre. Movies such as the incredibly silly 2012, or the entertaining but none the less silly book of Ellie (sp). I found the fact that you never learn the cause of the disaster to be a brilliant move. This allowed the story to focus fully on the consequences and the form human relationships would develop into under these circumstances.

Its just my opinion but I really do think it is the best movie so about this subject.

Lately I've seen posts about zombie sex slaves and Leo Decrappio movies that people seem to think are quite good. So I'm quite surprised that no one has mentioned this one yet. Its based on the Pulitzer prize winning novel of the same title and if its any indication of the book then it would be a very fine read indeed.

I thought the book was better. And I really liked the movie, so I guess that's a recommendation.

(Fair warning: some people find the book a bit difficult, because the language is extremely poetic in style. But it's awesome: and the movie's tone of sadness and despair and love are exactly faithful to the novel.)

Anyway, I agree. A really good movie, and I'm surprised it wasn't much more successful.

I thought the book was better. And I really liked the movie, so I guess that's a recommendation.

(Fair warning: some people find the book a bit difficult, because the language is extremely poetic in style. But it's awesome: and the movie's tone of sadness and despair and love are exactly faithful to the novel.)

Anyway, I agree. A really good movie, and I'm surprised it wasn't much more successful.

I agree. Movie was damn good, but the book was GREAT.

The book stayed very true the movie though, and didnt take as many liberties with the story as most movies do. And Vigo nailed the character.

Edited by dre

Movie was damn good, but the book was GREAT.

Agree. The plot deviated from the Book with the womans role, but otherwise was pretty faithful. And if you think that everybody lived happily ever after.... not likely at all.....

The Road was te first McCarthy novel I read, and I went out and bought/read all the rest after. I reckon Cormac McCarthy is perhaps the best living American novelist. He presents very difficult ideas in prose that is both wonderfully lyrical and savagely forthright. Many of his books are not intended for the squeamish. The next movie from his books will be Blood Meridian, surely one of the most violent, frightening (true) stories ever and considered by many critics to be one of the best American novels ever written.

He also wrote No Country For Old Men, a fine book and IMO Top Ten all time movie.

Agree. The plot deviated from the Book with the womans role, but otherwise was pretty faithful. And if you think that everybody lived happily ever after.... not likely at all.....

The Road was te first McCarthy novel I read, and I went out and bought/read all the rest after. I reckon Cormac McCarthy is perhaps the best living American novelist. He presents very difficult ideas in prose that is both wonderfully lyrical and savagely forthright. Many of his books are not intended for the squeamish. The next movie from his books will be Blood Meridian, surely one of the most violent, frightening (true) stories ever and considered by many critics to be one of the best American novels ever written.

He also wrote No Country For Old Men, a fine book and IMO Top Ten all time movie.

I haven't read the book, but I liked the movie a lot. And I placed Javier Bardem's "Anton Chigurh" as one of my favourite villains of all time