Is Avaaz An Unregistered Lobbiest

scribblet

So you would agree then that cable shouldn't be required to carry the CBC or CBC Newsworld?

I am not a Canadian and I know nothing about the channels a provider is required to carry. Reading Evening Star’s post, if CBC is funded by your taxpayer dollars, I certainly do think it should be available to all Canadians.

In the states big money has total control of almost all politicians and sets the political agenda, writes the bllls, and controls congress, the senate and the White House, as well as the individual state houses and assemblies. I don't think many Canadians would want to import that kind of a system.

Good on you; I hope that never happens in Canada. You are very astute; I wish American’s were as cognizant of what has happened to our country, as you seem to be.

If it's an international organization then it's not permitted to interfere in Canadian elections. Which is exactly what the people here you're arguing with have been saying.

I will repeat what I have said previously, quit arguing that fact on this forum and contact your local and federal officials about the illegality of this organization. I do not know your laws but each of you seem to have a knowledge of them….so demand the laws be enforced.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Canadian and I know nothing about the channels a provider is required to carry. Reading Evening Star’s post, if CBC is funded by your taxpayer dollars, I certainly do think it should be available to all Canadians.

CBC has a terrestial broadcast signal. which all cable companies must carry, and a cable spot, which all cable companies musr carry. They also sell ads on all their TV properties. Lop sided playing field from the get go..3 streams of revenue (taxes, ads and cable fees) |Yet this american lobby feels that Canadians shouldn't have another new3s source available to all cable paying canadians. Shameful.

Good on you; I hope that never happens in Canada. You are very astute; I wish American’s were as cognizant of what has happened to our country, as you seem to be.

Yet now we have amercian PAC foisted on us. Shame.

Are you an employee of this organization? You seem to have only showed up with a big chip on your left shoulder during this discussion.

Nope, just a Usian who enjoys politics and an exchange of ideas. I was told that this was a very good forum with a variety of opinions, and a good mix of American politics. You are correct though that I lean left, but there is no chip on that shoulder, and I regret that you see me in the light. I have tried to be courteous in my responses and attempted to mix a little humor in but it obviously you see it differently. I am a member of Move-On, however, for whatever that is worth.

CBC has a terrestial broadcast signal. which all cable companies must carry, and a cable spot, which all cable companies musr carry. They also sell ads on all their TV properties. Lop sided playing field from the get go..3 streams of revenue (taxes, ads and cable fees) |Yet this american lobby feels that Canadians shouldn't have another new3s source available to all cable paying canadians. Shameful.

Where do the profits of this revenue stream go, into whose coffers? I know whose coffers would be filled with these profits if Sun Media attained the must-carry license they wanted, and it won’t be the people of Canada or the Canadian government.

Yet now we have amercian PAC foisted on us. Shame.

I think the shame lies on all of you who will not demand that either your laws are enforced or that they are changed so that an international group or an American PAC group are not allowed to voice an opinion in your country.

The poster seems intent on getting someone from the forum take some type of action against Avaaz. The lawyers at Avaaz must be in need of cases.

Nope, just tired of reading the carping that what Avaaz did was illegal. If it's illegal do something to stop them; if it's not, give it a rest, capice?

According to this article, even CBC's and CTV's all-news channels will no longer be protected by must-carry licences next year:

http://www.hilltimes.com/page/view/foxtv-06-28-2010

I certainly don't think it's in a public broadcaster's mandate that it should compete 'on a level field' with commercial broadcasters in a free market, btw, though I would be happy to see less commercials on CBC.

If the gist of your point is that Avaaz has no Canadian presence and therefore is not qualified to initiate a position or to register as a third party, may I suggest that you lodge a complaint against them with your government officials. If what they are doing or have done in the past is illegal and against your laws they should be investigated and made to pay the price. The officials can see that they are punished for their misdeeds; whatever you want to say or rail about on forums is inconsequential and doesn’t solve the problem.

The gist is that Avaaz has claimed that they operate a Canadian arm and that their efforts are funded by Canadians and deployed by Canadians. With no Canadian presence, that would appear to be shall we say, untruthful.

Untruthful - To say the least.

It's quite plain that they are not Canadian so their involvement in such a petition is a puzzlement, unless there is a something else at play here. Are they now sending in their American representatives to troll on Canadian forums?

Isn't moveon.org an agency of Soros - a joint venture so to speak, which is involved with Avaaz ?

One has to question the motives of American orgs. such as these getting involved with Canadian politics and why Americans would be so interested !

Where do the profits of this revenue stream go, into whose coffers?

Ummm... the CBC doesn't earn a profit. They actually get government support (to the tune of approximately $1 billion/year). That's what was meant when the poster talked about it getting 'tax revenue'. (So even if someone doesn't watch the CBC, they are still paying for it.)

I know whose coffers would be filled with these profits if Sun Media attained the must-carry license they wanted, and it won’t be the people of Canada or the Canadian government.

Actually, yes it would.

Sun Media is majority owned by Quebecor. Quebcor is a publically traded company. Profits that it earns end up going back to the shareholders who are, in large part, Canadian citizens (either directly through dividend payments to stockholders, or through things like mutual funds/retirement funds.)

In addition, as a private company, it is subject to various corporate taxes, which do end up in the coffers of the Canadian government.

Where do the profits of this revenue stream go, into whose coffers?

It's a sink hole, they are idealogically impervious to profits

I know whose coffers would be filled with these profits if Sun Media attained the must-carry license they wanted, and it won’t be the people of Canada or the Canadian government.

Correct. They would go to Canadian shareholders. Quebecor is a publickly traded company.

I think the shame lies on all of you who will not demand that either your laws are enforced or that they are changed so that an international group or an American PAC group are not allowed to voice an opinion in your country.

Such arrogance can only come from an over indulge sense of entitlement.

As usual, this thread has taken many turns yet the premise and OP posiiton was:

scribblet, on 20 September 2010 - 07:18 AM, said:

I have to believe that Avaaz is not following our rules, this certainly warrants investigation.

Throughout all my posts, I have returned to this premise and agreed with OP and said investigate; if laws need to be change…change them. It’s unfortunate that some have allowed their political prejudices to ignore this point for an opportunity to exhibit their pomposity and presumed insight into this matter.

As usual, this thread has taken many turns yet the premise and OP posiiton was:

Throughout all my posts, I have returned to this premise and agreed with OP and said investigate; if laws need to be change…change them. It’s unfortunate that some have allowed their political prejudices to ignore this point for an opportunity to exhibit their pomposity and presumed insight into this matter.

Well that's very white of you...having no presumed insight of course...and not beoing a pompous ass like us locals. Very white of you to come and show us the error of our ways. Thank you Bitsy, Thank Avaaz, Thank you America.

As usual, this thread has taken many turns

But I thought you said you were new here. I know you only registered late yesterday as Bitsy after Scribblet posted a new topic on Avaaz. So how would you know thread drift is "usual" here?

Throughout all my posts, I have returned to this premise and agreed with OP and said investigate; if laws need to be change…change them.

So stop repeating yourself. You were heard the first time.

Well that's very white of you...having no presumed insight of course...and not beoing a pompous ass like us locals. Very white of you to come and show us the error of our ways. Thank you Bitsy, Thank Avaaz, Thank you America.

Thank you for your gracious welcome, and your presumed insight into my arrogance and intent.

But I thought you said you were new here. I know you only registered late yesterday as Bitsy after Scribblet posted a new topic on Avaaz. So how would you know thread drift is "usual" here?

I am not new to forums and threat drift is “usual” in all forums…nothing sinister in acknowledging thread drifts.

So stop repeating yourself. You were heard the first time.

Wow, someone that finally got it….thanks for acknowledging it.