Senior Care

August1991, I've believed that people have the rights over their bodies and I believe in assisted suicide for people like cancer. My own mother was told she couldn't be helped with a tumor was found in her right lung. Because she would have to travel 1 1/2 hours each way to a hospital and that she was 80 years old and probably wouldn't survive surgery. So from May of '08 to Jan. 2'09, I watched my mother lose weight, being treated a home by a nurse part time until her death. I don't know if anyone of you have seen a person dying of cancer but by the time she died she looked like one of the Jews that died in those camps. Just bones and skin, and trying to breath through her mouth, it was heartbreaking and for that I rather her had the choice of assisted suicide, so I could remember her as the mother I had before cancer. Also, if wasn't for my dad working for the CAW, he wouldn't be able to keep her at home under home care benefit. My dad survived only 7 months after, he missed my mom and stopped taking his medication which led to a blood-clot bursting in his head and because he was alone at the time , its was too late when we found him. He always said he wouldn't go into a nursing home, so now they are together, forever.

Uh, "... as will my generation that will have to care for them..."

Moonlight Graham, you are apparently talking about your parents since presumably, they are boomers. Now, if you have issues with your parents, take it outside.

IOW, anyone alive today had a Boomer parent.

Please don't get me or my parents or kids involved in your family dispute, or what any of us have to pay.

I thought Boomers' were a demographic specific to about 15 to 20 years: post-WW2 until the early-mid 1960s.

My parents aren't Boomers.

• 1 year later...

The care of an old person is just as important as the care of an infant child.. once we stop car ing for the old - we will eventually stop caring for our children. Senior care should be closely monitored and always be an on going important issue. Children are wise - the old are like wise children..those in the bloom of youth and power are not wise..they are preditorial and wait for the old to die in some cases to absorb their wealth - bad seniour care is akin to bad abortion policy - It can not be made self serving and become a finacial issue..people are not money.

Well said. I feel that senior care is part of our humanity. Without it, we'll all be just animals living within ourselves and not caring for other people.

_

concord home care

First, I didn't say anything about "Manitoba's good treatment of seniors", I said that we had a very good home care system. As for assisted suicide, the example that jumps to mind for me is a terminal illness causing a great deal of pain or suffering that does not allow for a significantly longer life going forward.

pain or suffering that does not allow for a significantly longer life going forward.

How about:

pain or suffering that does not allow for life going forward without a day of life that is worth living.

Dijja ever wonder why people with terminal -- ANYTHING seem to fade away quickly after they make up their minds to die? Why should these people (including myself in the near future) be sentenced to an extra year of unbearable pain to satisfy the conscience of the people who live---- remember--- we all get the bullet sooner or later whether it be from "big C" . or the other big c -- coronary or (please not for me) any of the diseases that curl people up in beds or wheelchairs, continuously in unstoppable pain. My sister in law is in a assisted care facility in TO. There are at least 15 patients in the facility who would give both their legs & an arm or 2 to get an overdose to retire them to the grave because the only other thing they are going to get is WORSE

Edited by Tilter

Seniour care is getting scarey. It consists of private companies in rusty ambulances - staffed by dumb immigrants and grade 10 drop outs who shuttle the old about from bottle necked hospitals back to the seniour residence....I watched some of these clowns who handle our aged. The poor old lady crying out in pain as they toss her from bed to gurny like she was fire wood...It is going to become a poorly run industry in the near future...so you had better look out. The only solution is not the institution but family care of their elders - and it should be made easier by the state for people to take care of their own children and ELDERS!