Minority Government Talk

• 4 weeks later...

What about Star Wars? If Liberals join with the Conservatives to approve it, won't that be game over for future New Democratic or Bloc support on other issues?

If Martin tries to play one opposition party off against the other, I think the opposition parties should defeat the government right away. Might as well get it over with ASAP.

And apparently Martin is delaying returning to the House He is adding on an additional month. Don't the opposition parties have a say in that as well? Why the dealy - what afre the Liberals afraid of now?

What did Martin say to the GG to allow the Liberals to keep governing? Did he say anything? How come we don't know what went on there? Should not this be public knowledge? And does Martin not have to get documentation in writing from the opposition parties for the GG to allow the Liberals to attempt to try to govern.

And if the Liberals are defeated, would not then our governor general have to offer the opportunity to Stephen Harper to attempt to govern?

Please enlighten me. ;)

What about Star Wars? If Liberals join with the Conservatives to approve it, won't that be game over for future New Democratic or Bloc support on other issues?

Why? Duceppe already said that he will decide issue by issue whether to support the government. Doesn't it make sense that other parties will do the same? If Paul Martin comes to the Conservatives with an idea that they strongly support, why wouldn't they cooperate? Same with the Bloc. Same with the... well, the NDP doesn't matter because they don't have enough seats to support the government :lol:

If Martin tries to play one opposition party off against the other, I think the opposition parties should defeat the government right away. Might as well get it over with ASAP.

Harper already said that he has no interest in forcing another election right away. The voters would be mad about having another election. And the Conservatives still need to have their policy convention. The should definitely have their policy convention soon!

I don't think the Opposition parties will force another election until they think they have an issue that voters will punish the government for.

What did Martin say to the GG to allow the Liberals to keep governing? Did he say anything? How come we don't know what went on there? Should not this be public knowledge? And does Martin not have to get documentation in writing from the opposition parties for the GG to allow the Liberals to attempt to try to govern.

The Liberals won the most seats and were the incumbents. Tradition says that the GG would go to Paul Martin first.

I think the best part of the minority government is that the opposition parties have the power to band together to force an election if it is in the country's best interest. (think how many times that would have been handy to have during the Chretien years :lol: ) The government can't afford to act like a dictatorship.

Also, I think that if the opposition parties could cooperate, they could get together to get private members bills passed! An example would be a few years ago when the Canadian Alliance proposed a bill to make the ethics counsellor independent. All the opposition parties supported it but the Chretiens had too many seats so it was defeated. It could work now because the opposition parties have enough seats to get together if they want.

I think the minority government will be better for Canada than the elected dictatorships we have had before.

I think the minority government will be better for Canada than the elected dictatorships we have had before.

There has been a lot of fear mongering surrounding minority governments.

What counts is what kind of legislation we are going to have - whether or not the government is seriously going to address this most pressing of issues:

"THE REPAIR OF TAXATION"

It seems like the Liberals have not lost any of their arrogance. Now Martin is saying he is delaying the opening of Parliament.

You make an assumption that if the Liberals are defeated we will automatically have an election. Not so fast.

What happens if the Liberals are defeated?

Don't the Cons get an opportunity to govern?

Who decides?

Is there anyone here that can anyone answer that?

• 1 month later...