Olympic Cauldron - 3 Out of 4 Ain't Bad

jbg

On the French-language side, there were less irrelevant and innacurate comments during the parade of the athletes, which is an improvement already. As for CTV, they won't have Don Cherry... a HUGE improvement.

I pretty much checked out of CTV last night after they held a competition where some dudes in whistler stripped for free beers. Maybe I'll give RDS a try (the alpine events sound better in french, anyway).

I think CTV's biggest problem is that they're disoriented by all of the vehicles to which they're trying to feed.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Where was Gaetan Boucher? He's our first male Winter Olympics gold medalist in singles competition, , and was the inspiration for a generation of Canadian Winter Olympians, With all due respect to Jacques Villeneuve and Steve Nash, the place of one of them should have been taken by Boucher.

Good point, I have no problem with Nash, if our basketball team qualifies for an Olympics, he's the biggest reason why. I don't know why Boucher wasn't there but it's too bad he wasn't. All in all we enjoyed the show and will watch parts if not all of it again.

I don't know why some Canadians are so critical of the production which had to satisfy so many interests (I didn't see any wheelchair fiddlers!).

No wheelchair fiddlers, that's it. Damn VANOC.

Not a problem for me (I watched it on Hi Def on CTV). I think that CTV did a great job...better than CBC ever has in fact.

I guess it's still too early for me to judge, and most of my criticisms were about the preshow. What did you like better?

Well, first off, I really like Lloyd Robertson, I think he's the best National News anchor there is in North America...and second, I like the enthusiasm with which CTV, TSB, and Rogers Sports Net have put all of this together. I like that they've partnered with APTN and OLN and OMNI and that this games are being broadcast within Canada in 22 languages. I think that CTV is new at this, and it may take them some time to get it all right, but overall I think they're doing well.

So, I just watched it a couple more times, and I really think that the national anthem was done well. I really had no complaints about that part. And as for the torch malfunction, well, sometimes things don't work. The door worked earlier in the performance, and you can't always predict these things...but the cheifs being late was still the worst thing to me.

Great - the welcome by the four First Nations *up to the dance)

- the bear

- the Prairie scene

- the entrance of the Olympic flag (great choice of flag bearers, with one exception, more on that later)

- the singing of the Olympic anthem (gives me chills every time, and I am sorry for those who didn't like the interpretation, but this is how this kind of music is meant to be sung)

- most musical performances (KD Lang in particular)

4 nations- I liked it

bear-good

Prairie scene-painful

Olympic flag-I had issues as well I suppose everyone has at least one

Olympic anthem-waaaaay over the top, really painful

KD-fantastic, looks like Wayne Newton, looks more like Newton than Newton...

So-so - the singing of the national anthem (great voice, but a national anthem calls for a more subdued interpretation)

- the First Nations dancing (too long, and too cliched, a pity considering the welcoming by the four First Nations was a great idea and well done)

- the monologue at the end of the artistic portion (liked the text, but a bit out of place)

- the lighting of the torch (yes, the lighting of the torch - the technical snafu was embarassing, and spoiled what was a truly original idea, the cauldron lit from more than one torch)

- Gretzky's trek through the streets of Vancouver (idea for the next city thinking about lighting more than one cauldron - do it at the same time)

anthem-refreshing and bright

first nations-maybe a bit long but how can it be anything but clichéd this is their culture...

torch lighting-major embarrassment, how many years have they had to prepare for this???...

-Gretzky final run-ya really anti climactic

Bad:

- the speech by the head of the organizing committee (I applauded when it was over, because it was over)

- Garou's butchering of one of the most beautiful French-language songs ever written in Canada (especially considering that the song was at the right moment in the ceremony)

speech-ya I applauded for the same reason

My two pet peeves:

- I was not expecting a lot of French apart from the official stuff, and that did not bother me particularly, but the reading from Quebec author François-Xavier Garneau should have been in its original language (or English and French, at least)

- Where was Gaetan Boucher? He's our first male Winter Olympics gold medalist in singles competition, , and was the inspiration for a generation of Canadian Winter Olympians, With all due respect to Jacques Villeneuve and Steve Nash, the place of one of them should have been taken by Boucher.

I question Romeo Dallaire, this is a political statement not suited for the O's, he's still blamed by many in Belgium for the death of it's soldiers in Rwanda...flag bearers should only be athletes IMO

Edited by wyly

So, I just watched it a couple more times, and I really think that the national anthem was done well. I really had no complaints about that part. And as for the torch malfunction, well, sometimes things don't work. The door worked earlier in the performance, and you can't always predict these things...but the cheifs being late was still the worst thing to me.

I most have been one of the few people not noticing the Chiefs being late. A glitch, and not major in my opinion.

As for the national anthem... No denying the singer has great talent. But is a type of music where the performer should service the tune, not the other way around. I often cringe when I hear the American anthem at sporting events, not because of some dark feelings of anti-Americanism, but because the performers too often treat it as if it were any other song. It is not. Neither is the O Canada and last night's rendition of it failed.

I most have been one of the few people not noticing the Chiefs being late. A glitch, and not major in my opinion.

It was major because during the vice regal salute, there were people taking their coats off, and walking back and forth behind the Governor General.

KD-fantastic, looks like Wayne Newton, looks more like Newton than Newton...

:P That's true, except for the fact she's far more talented than Newton.

first nations-maybe a bit long but how can it be anything but clichéd this is their culture...

First Nation cultures is more than dancing. There are talented First Nation artisits and performers today that could have been ut to contribution. Susan Aglukark is a good example, and her song Osiem would have been a great choice to complete that first portion of the show. Or how about Buffy Ste.Marie?

I question Romeo Dallaire, this is a political statement not suited for the O's, he's still blamed by many in Belgium for the death of it's soldiers in Rwanda...flag bearers should only be athletes IMO

There is an argument that could be made regarding athletes vs non-athletes as Olympic flag bearers. Yet, there is a precedent for non-athletes as flag-bearers... Can't remember if it was in Atlanta or Athens (I think Athens), but they once had the flag carried in the stadium by Mandela and Pele, amongs others. I have no problem whatsoever with non-athletes being part of it.

Which brings to Dallaire... As long as they were going with non-athletes, Dallaire was a good choice, as someone who has seen the worst than humanity can offer, has been scarred by it and has risen back.

Possibly the torch was a little over complicated but the glitch did little more than cause a delay. There were four arms and if you want to get down to basics, only one had to work in order to light the torch. After looking at both torches, I can't decide whether it looks better with three or four arms.

Good point about Gaetan Boucher. Could have been there instead of the car-racing guy, unless the Piston Cup got added to the games without my noticing.

I thought that k.d.lang was very impressive, but Leonard Cohen himself has pleaded for a moratorium on "Hallelujah", and I think we should respect his wishes.

I was glad to see Rick Hansen among the final torchbearers.

-k

Good point about Gaetan Boucher. Could have been there instead of the car-racing guy, unless the Piston Cup got added to the games without my noticing.

I thought that k.d.lang was very impressive, but Leonard Cohen himself has pleaded for a moratorium on "Hallelujah", and I think we should respect his wishes.

I was glad to see Rick Hansen among the final torchbearers.

-k

we don't know if Boucher was asked, I'm sure he was considered, maybe he said no...Jacques Villeneuve F1 racing does take tremendous athletic ability much more so than luge, curling, ski jumping and ice dancing...what Anne Murray did to belong in that group is a mystery to me...

Hansen, very good choice...

I doubt that people will forget all of the things that worked...the giant bear and the whales for example. It is slightly embarrassing, but there's not much that could have been done to prevent it.

bear was good, loved the whales..

torch not working, no excuse for that...it's one thing for a performer to miss their cue, quite another when the final spectacle fails for technical reasons....

Guest American Woman

torch not working, no excuse for that...it's one thing for a performer to miss their cue, quite another when the final spectacle fails for technical reasons....

Just watched the video and can see why some are upset over the glitch as it was supposed to be the closing highlight of an otherwise flawless ceremony.

I found this observation rather humorous:

Instead of one person lighting the torch, it was decreed that Steve Nash, Wayne Gretzky, Catriona Le May Doan, and Rick Hanson all light the torch together. After being introduced separately, they all stood around awkwardly for well over two minutes giving each other nervous stares and not trying to make any waves (they are Canadian, after all). Except for Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky looked like he was going to cut a bitch. link

(I take it the video on that site won't work for Canadians, either .....)

I think the ceremony as a whole is what will be remembered, though; not this this one malfunction.

:P That's true, except for the fact she's far more talented than Newton.

I'm still humming that tune, she did well...

First Nation cultures is more than dancing. There are talented First Nation artisits and performers today that could have been ut to contribution. Susan Aglukark is a good example, and her song Osiem would have been a great choice to complete that first portion of the show. Or how about Buffy Ste.Marie?
I think it was more centered on the first nations of BC...
There is an argument that could be made regarding athletes vs non-athletes as Olympic flag bearers. Yet, there is a precedent for non-athletes as flag-bearers... Can't remember if it was in Atlanta or Athens (I think Athens), but they once had the flag carried in the stadium by Mandela and Pele, amongs others. I have no problem whatsoever with non-athletes being part of it.
Mandella and and Dallaire aren't in the same league, I wouldn't have had Mandella either...Pele was one hell of an athlete....
Which brings to Dallaire... As long as they were going with non-athletes, Dallaire was a good choice, as someone who has seen the worst than humanity can offer, has been scarred by it and has risen back.
but he comes with some baggage in regards to one of the other competing nations...

Just watched the video and can see why some are upset over the glitch as it was supposed to be the closing highlight of an otherwise flawless ceremony.

I found this observation rather humorous:

Instead of one person lighting the torch, it was decreed that Steve Nash, Wayne Gretzky, Catriona Le May Doan, and Rick Hanson all light the torch together. After being introduced separately, they all stood around awkwardly for well over two minutes giving each other nervous stares and not trying to make any waves (they are Canadian, after all). Except for Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky looked like he was going to cut a bitch. link

(I take it the video on that site won't work for Canadians, either .....)

I think the ceremony as a whole is what will be remembered, though; not this this one malfunction.

link works fine...I can understand Gretzky's discomfort I'm sure the rest were uncomfortable as well...this is the ultimate moment/climax and it fails! what was the fallback plan? I doubt they had one, luckily they salvaged something...

Guest American Woman

And so what exactly should have been done? The door worked a few minutes before.

Admittedly not knowing that much about it, they probably should have had a way to manually open the door in the event that it didn't work automatically. But then, maybe the support still wouldn't have risen .....

Admittedly not knowing that much about it, they probably should have had a way to manually open the door in the event that it didn't work automatically. But then, maybe the support still wouldn't have risen .....

Looked to me that the door was open. It was the arm that failed to extend. The door had been operating all evening, the arm had not.