Auschwitz-Birkenau

DogOnPorch

Then I guess the Mona Lisa can be remade and nobody would know the difference. And the Hope Diamond can be replaced with a fake, and no one would know the difference.
The Mona Lisa is a unique work of art. The Hope Diamond is a unique rock. Both are objects which have value in themselves. The sign that went missing is just a sign - like the hundreds one passes everyday. It can be replaced. The value is in memory evoked by the sign - not the sign itself.

The Mona Lisa is a unique work of art. The Hope Diamond is a unique rock. Both are objects which have value in themselves. The sign that went missing is just a sign - like the hundreds one passes everyday. It can be replaced. The value is in memory evoked by the sign - not the sign itself.

The sign was actually made by Polish political prisoners who were the first inmates of Auschwitz before Birkenau was constructed. Apparently, the "B" on the sign was transposed as a sign of protest of their imprisonment. So I suppose it isn't just any sign. What I find odd is that the original was re-used when a perfectly good replica WAS available to put up for the public.

Keystone: I think a better question would be: "Why is this one of the top stories of the day?"

Why would that be? Not enough happened there to warrant a story?

:rolleyes:

Edited by DogOnPorch

Guest American Woman

This sign is an object that has value in itself; and it's a unique sign. Why do you think it was stolen?-- did you miss my previous post about the value of the sign on the Black Market? And speaking of value alone, why do you think antiques are worth a fortune, while exact replicas are cheap? If you think this sign is like hundreds of other signs you pass every day, then you aren't knowledgeable in this area.

As for the Mona Lisa, a good artist could make a copy of the Mona Lisa that only an expert, through a lot of analysis, would be able to determine is fake. The Hope Diamond could only be determined to be a fake by an expert.

Guest American Woman

Yet, the why this thread exists has not been answered.

"There have been 25 topics by Sir Bandelot," and from a quick glance, I don't see one with an explanation as to why the threads exist. Perhaps you should quick go back and let us know why you felt the need to start those 25 threads since you seem to think an explanation is in order. Inquiring minds want to know. B)