Sesame Street's 40th Anniversary

GostHacked

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/why-sesame-street-still-counts-1815758.html

I watched this show as a kid almost all the time, like most kids do. And in talking about it with a few other friends tonight, and how influencial it was as a basic ABC 123 learning tool, only now am I understanding how much it actually influenced me as a person and how I do learn. It's a vareity show that teaches the basics in an ubran inner city setting. It also seems like it was one of the first shows to use focus groups for the first time. That focus group was children. I have very fond memories of this program and it belongs in a hall of fame of TV if there is one. I guess after winning over 100 Emmys, you'd get in by a kind of default!

But anyways, some of my fave skits, as I'd call them, included a couple of Martians. Always referring to this massive book of earth knowledge. They carried it everywhere!. Book Book. I have seen some youtube vids of people dressing up as these characters for Halloween. How awesome is that! And I have been watching these guys, the Yip Yips, and laughing pretty hard at it. It is brilliant work. I just love these guys.

When I was about 12 and was watching it with my sister who is 4 years younger than me, i tried something. I asked my sister, 'ok you know how deaf people can read lips to understand what people are saying?'. Her response was, 'ya ok'. So I turned off the volume (actually had to go UP to the tv and TURN the actual knob in the early 80s). Then I asked her, while Grover was on and aske her, 'ok what is he saying?'. Not even thinking about the fact that my sister can't read lips, she said 'ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma.' :D

The other thing I realize about this program is that it did give me some good advice, and that is to believe in yourself. You can do anything when you set your mind to it. It's just really stupid of me to apply it a little later than should have.

I am sure you all have a memorable Sesame Street moment, or skit or character. The Yip Yips have gotta be my fave. So my homage to those guys and Sesame Street as a whole, me and my pal put together our dedication to this show. http://virb.com/openheartmachine/audio/452352

So what do you guys think are the best moments in Sesame Street?

Guest American Woman
Never really liked Sesame Street but always thought
was pretty damn funny.

ETA

I vote for the Octagon episode. :D

Edited to add: Elmo is my favorite.

Edited by American Woman

But anyways, some of my fave skits, as I'd call them, included a couple of Martians. Always referring to this massive book of earth knowledge. They carried it everywhere!. Book Book. I have seen some youtube vids of people dressing up as these characters for Halloween. How awesome is that! And I have been watching these guys, the Yip Yips, and laughing pretty hard at it. It is brilliant work. I just love these guys.

:lol: That's brilliant!

-k

:lol: That's brilliant!

-k

Perhaps you'd like these, Kimmy!

(Muppets covering Buffalo Springfield)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3_y...eature=related (Steve Martin - Deliverance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUwD6...eature=related (Muppets - Devil Went Down To Georgia)