The Cost Of Vacines.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeble than myself could answer some questions that have been plauging me regarding the up and coming plague. Vacines are not cheap at markets end. Now that we know that millions of dozes (units) have already been distrubuted prior to the final safety concerns being fully addressed....WHO is the company that was awarded this contract of distribution and production of this medicine? Did they bid openly for what must be a super lucrative government contract? What does it cost to produce on unit of vacine? What is the profit margine on one unit? AND If - the vacine proves to be utterly useless - does the public who paid for the stuff get a refund?

Well? Hasn't anyone pulled some facts and figures for me? You people are supposed to be the educated ones. Perhaps these figures and facts are not for public consumption..? Which is odd that the providers of the vacine and their friends expect us to consume the product but not this knowledge.

Well? Hasn't anyone pulled some facts and figures for me? You people are supposed to be the educated ones. Perhaps these figures and facts are not for public consumption..? Which is odd that the providers of the vacine and their friends expect us to consume the product but not this knowledge.

So who's making a few billion here?

So who's making a few billion here?

Must have hit a raw nerve.....sorry.....go head and inject the herd...just don't come near me. I want to be known as an untouchable. Looks like not one person questioned the cost and profit generated by this program..or who will take the lions share of taxpayers money for a product that might be snake oil. Not my buisness ...it's amazing how no one wants to be branded with the tin foil hat...over and out! :lol:

I heard the government order 50 million shots because they thought they were going to have to give double shots to everyone. But now the company is deliverying a different vaccine that only needs one shot so what are we going to do with all the extra?

A lot of this has already been discussed in other threads, so you'll have to excuse me if any of this sounds familiar...

Looks like not one person questioned the cost and profit generated by this program.

Actually, the economic benefits of vaccination HAVE been studied.

First of all, while it does cost money to vaccinate people, overall, it ends up saving money for the health care system and society. Compare the cost of the vaccine (as well as the cost of doctors to administer the vaccine, vaccination side effects, etc.) against:

- Reduced need for emergency room visits for people infected with the flu

- Reduced need for antibiotics and antivirals to handle severe cases of the flu and related infections

- Increased prductivity for workers who have less need to "stay at home sick"

A few studies to read up on: (And hey, some of this references work done for peer reviewed articles...)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15449635

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/short/00...0-00157v1?rss=1

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18691849

(1 of those articles was specificaly about vaccination against H1N1, the other 2 were about vaccination against influenza in general, although its reasonable to assume similar economic benefits.)

Of course, ultimately, even if influenza vaccinations didn't save society money, the fact that it saves lives should be enough to justify its use. (Heck, it costs money to treat a wide range of diseases... are you suggesting that we should just let people die because it costs money to treat them?)

...or who will take the lions share of taxpayers money for a product that might be snake oil.

Snake oil? Well, lets see:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/N...07413?query=TOC (article indicating proper antibodies formed after use of vaccine)

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...1921679,00.html (a more mainstream article covering the same issues)

Now that we know that millions of dozes (units) have already been distrubuted prior to the final safety concerns being fully addressed..

Actually, they have been addressed. The link to the New England Journal of Medicine above refers to a study in Australia that showed no serious side effects specifically with the H1N1 vaccine.

They've been making influenza vaccines for many years now. We know the risks from previous years. Why should we expect these vaccinations to be any different?

WHO is the company that was awarded this contract of distribution and production of this medicine? Did they bid openly for what must be a super lucrative government contract? What does it cost to produce on unit of vacine? What is the profit margine on one unit?

Not sure what the individual unit costs of a vaccine are.

Despite what you might think, vaccines are not a huge money-making venture for companies. There used to be dozens of companies who made vaccines. Now, there are only a couple.

From: http://www.medbroadcast.com/health_news_de...channel_id=1026

In the 1970s, there were as many as 25 flu vaccine makers. Today, there are only two major suppliers for the world. That's because vaccine-making is a risky business with high levels of liability and low profit margins that most pharmaceutical companies avoid.

If vaccines were such money-makers, why aren't more companies involved in the business?

(Now, I know some people are going to complain "Oh there's no liability risk since the Canadian government pays for anyone harmed". However, that rule does not apply globally, and companies could still be on the hook for problems in other countries.)

Perhaps someone more knowledgeble than myself could answer some questions that have been plauging me regarding the up and coming plague. Vacines are not cheap at markets end. Now that we know that millions of dozes (units) have already been distrubuted prior to the final safety concerns being fully addressed....WHO is the company that was awarded this contract of distribution and production of this medicine? Did they bid openly for what must be a super lucrative government contract? What does it cost to produce on unit of vacine? What is the profit margine on one unit? AND If - the vacine proves to be utterly useless - does the public who paid for the stuff get a refund?

Look at the costs of the 1918 flu pandemic.