Federal prison overhaul plan

jdobbin

Here's the reason for the decrease:

Here's what's important:

http://www.thefreeradical.ca/Violent_crime...tics_Canada.htm

Gang violence is the growing problem in Canada. What mandatory minimums do is provide a clear and consistent deterrent to committing violence. If I was running a gang "you'll be out in no time" would be a big part of my sales program.

It's impossible for the long gun registry to have any impact on violent crime. Only 2% of homicides are committed with registered long guns.

Um, guess what? Young people have always been the biggest source of violent crime. The only thing the graph in the site you offered tells me is that even so, the trend is downwards.

Gangs are not new phenomena. Gang related murder was at its highest in Canada in the late sixties and early eighties. Still, the majority of violent crime is domestic or pseudo-domestic (i.e. close friends or acquaintances).

Your inability to effectively grasp the reality of your surroundings tells me that you could never run a gang.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTTAWA — Most Canadians believe crime is increasing, despite statistics to the contrary, a new poll suggests.

According to the Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey, 57% of respondents nationwide said crime is on the rise.

Only 10% said the crime rate has decreased over the last couple of years, as is actually the case. Thirty per cent said they believe it has remained relatively stable.

Source

OTTAWA -- Half of urban Canadians say they are very concerned about drugs in their communities and almost as many fear guns, gangs, and random shootings -- and less than one quarter strongly feel that they are safe walking alone in their neighbourhood after dark.

Source

The poll also looked at Canadian attitudes toward crime rates. While statistics suggest crime is down, almost half of all Canadians (48 per cent) believe the crime rate has increased over the past 10 years.

Twenty-six per cent believe crime is dropping, with that same percentage believing the rate is the same.

As for the best way to deal with violent crime in Canada, roughly one-third of Canadians believe there should be longer jail terms for those convicted of violent crimes, an idea supported most by Conservative supporters.

Source

As you can see the voters believe that crime is going up or staying the same and not declining. The voters are calling for longer prison terms and tougher sentences. No matter what the stats say people are still being victimized and people are getting increasingly tired of it. Vicitims of violent crime are often leading the charge to have tougher sentences and longer prison terms.

I wouldn't be able to look at the mother of a murdered teenager and tell them their killer has gone free and will receive little to no prison time because we're working on prevention so he will be doing a counseling program.

I urge you to speak to some of the victims families instead of just reading on the internet. Get out there and go to rallies held for victims hear their cries for reform and hear their stories then come back and try to defend lighter sentences for violent offenders.

There is only one place for violent offenders, prison.

Bottom line is being in society is a privilege, if you break the law you lose that privilege and are removed from society.

We have tried it the liberal way and letting many violent people out on bail and while out on bail or parole have killed more citizens. The system is broken and is being taken advantage of. We need to end that. The majority of Canadians don't care if these people are rehabilitated or not they just want them off the streets where they cannot hurt anyone else. Canadians would vote for more prisons being built.

If the next election is about crime I don't think the Liberals have a chance, we've been living with their system of justice since the 1970's and people are tired of criminals walking nearly free and with no restraint or severity in sentencing shown. Canadians are tired of violent criminals getting out on bail or parole or mandatory release dates after 2/3 's and parole eligibility after 1/6 th. Canada is sick of it.

You make it sound like liberals invented crime.

Nonsense!

Look, our society makes laws, some quite sensible, other quite pathological. Whatever their motivation, we have limited resources to house all of the offenders of OUR laws. As a result, we force the system to improvise. And how do they do so? The best way they see fit.

It's not a liberal system, but an overburdened one in order to avoid placing the burden on the taxpayer. I'm sick of people like you who think that the solution to all our problems is to lock people up and throw away the key. Guess what? The bill goes up appreciably once that key is thrown away. Can I count on you to pay for it?

I thought not.

Edited by Visionseeker

You make it sound like liberals invented crime.

Nonsense!

Look, our society makes laws, some quite sensible, other quite pathological. Whatever their motivation, we have limited resources to house all of the offenders of OUR laws. As a result, we force the system to improvise. And how do they do so? The best way they see fit.

It's not a liberal system, but an overburdened one in order to avoid placing the burden on the taxpayer. I'm sick of people like you who think that the solution to all our problems is to lock people up and throw away the key. Guess what? The bill goes up appreciably once that key is thrown away. Can I count on you to pay for it?

I thought not.

I'm not advocating locking anyone forever. I would like to see the punishment fit the crime. House Arrest for serious crimes doesn't do the victims justice.

Automatically releasing offenders after 2/3 rds of their sentence is not responsible.

These are some measure I'd like to see brought in...

Treating any gang related shooting death as First degree murder with no chance of parole.

Get rid of "the faint hope clause" used by convicted murders to gain early release without going in front of a parole board.

Mandatory sentences for Gun crimes as well as Large Cannabis grow ops(~300 plants and up) and Meth, Extasy Labs.

Harsher sentences for impaired drivers.

A DNA database for sex offenders and make the sex offenders register any address they live at so they may be tracked in order to keep our children and citizens safe.

Even Jack Layton and the NDP support treating gang related murders as first degree murder. Layton also supports mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes. The NDP also supports more police officers in our troubled areas of the country.

It's right from the NDP website

We don't know where the Liberals stand on crime as they refuse to post a plan or policy on their website or otherwise inform Canadians of their intentions.

I really cannot comprehend how some people don't want to punish criminals. It makes no sense to me.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Sorry, you can grow an extra plant, 200 in total for personal use without facing a mandatory jail term. If you get busted, just be sure to say it is for personal use.

200 hundred you say? I seriously doubt that.

The judge would need to see evidence of trafficking and there would be evidence of the number of plants. Confiscating pot grown for personal use (under 201 plants) would be done the way it's always been done. If you're being charged with having over 201 plants you can bet they'll keep the evidence. What's so hard to understand?

I thought we were on the topic of destroyed evidence as opposed to confiscated. In any case I certainly wouldn't expect the cops to give anything back.