Alliance-Conservatives

Is this Liberal BS PR? Liberal noblesse-oblige? Does Martin really believe that there is a new party called the "Alliance-Conservatives"? To me, this is 1984 New Think - won't last long in the New World.

“The differences of opinion between the Alliance-Conservatives and ourselves in terms of protecting the social fabric of this country, in terms of how does equal opportunity come about, could not be more stark, . . .” he said.

G & M Martin Liberals etc

Should Harper call himself a Tory? If Martin, in a debate, refers to the Alliance, what should Harper say?

If Harper asks about Lapierre's BQ origins, what should Martin answer? And Chrétien?

Who is loyal, to what?

A rose, by any name, is sweet to a nose, bright to an eye and the perfect gift to make peace.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this Liberal BS PR?  Liberal noblesse-oblige?  Does Martin really believe that there is a new party called the "Alliance-Conservatives"?  To me, this is 1984 New Think - won't last long in the New World.

I have noticed that Martin continually refers to them as the "Alliance Conservatives" as if this was their actual name. Clearly this is the prelude to an attempt to brand the new party with the poor "radical" image of the old one. We can expect more scary stories about how the evil "Alliance Conservatives" would be racist, sexist, and everything else "ist" if we don't cling to the Liberals to save us.

And don't kid yourself. This kind of thing, over time, does have a tendency to stick. Remember the old Liberal Rat Pack used to brand Mulroney a liar at all times, and though he was no more dishonest, I think, then most of our recent politicians, the concept stuck. I think Harper should start referring to the Liberals as The Corruption Party. That too will resonate with the voters.

I have noticed that Martin continually refers to them as the "Alliance Conservatives" as if this was their actual name. Clearly this is the prelude to an attempt to brand the new party with the poor "radical" image of the old one. We can expect more scary stories about how the evil "Alliance Conservatives" would be racist, sexist, and everything else "ist" if we don't cling to the Liberals to save us.

That's politics: it gets ugly. The Alli...er..Conservatives shouldn't have to worry, though, since surely they've exorcised all their demons like Larry Spencer and Stockwell Day, right? ;)

Clearly this is the prelude to an attempt to brand the new party with the poor "radical" image of the old one. We can expect more scary stories about how the evil "Alliance Conservatives" would be racist, sexist, and everything else "ist" if we don't cling to the Liberals to save us.

Was the merger not an attempt to re-brand the Alliance as not these things, expecially in Ontario (and get rid of the PCs while they were at it)? They say in buisness that there are no mergers after all, only takeovers.

They say in buisness that there are no mergers after all, only takeovers.
The Alli...er..Conservatives shouldn't have to worry, though, since surely they've exorcised all their demons like Larry Spencer and Stockwell Day, right?

You both seem to be Canadians. You both seem to want to ensure that there is a place called Canada on this continent, distinct from the Mickey Mouse jazz to the South. Fine.

But if you both want this, for heaven's sakes, please understand (know) this place's history. John A. Macdonald was a Conservative. Progressive Conservatives? WTF? The Tall Shorts?

The Progressives started in the States. The Canadian version joined the King Liberals and then the remainder "merged" with the Conservatives. The Progressives, BTW, were in favour of free trade. As were the Liberals, before.

Does all this really matter? Or, are people only truly concerned about "local, here and now politics"?

That's politics: it gets ugly. The Alli...er..Conservatives shouldn't have to worry, though, since surely they've exorcised all their demons like Larry Spencer and Stockwell Day, right? ;)

I think all the parties have their share of unpleasant people with odd ideas. I'd personally rather vote for Stockwell Day than Dennis Mills or Hedy Fry.

But if you both want this, for heaven's sakes, please understand (know) this place's history. John A. Macdonald was a Conservative. Progressive Conservatives? WTF? The Tall Shorts?

Actually, Macdonald was a "Liberal Conservative"