PMO Iqaluit gaffe draws smiles, frowns

PMO Iqaluit gaffe draws smiles, frowns

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...KnxEY8l6z78sbtQ

A news release sent out Monday outlined Prime Minister Stephen Harper's itinerary as he began a five-day tour of the North. The release repeatedly spelled the capital of Nunavut as Iqualuit - rather than Iqaluit.

The extra "u" makes a world of difference in the Inuktitut language.

Iqaluit, properly spelled, means "many fish."

Spelled with an extra "u," the Nunavut language commissioner's office says the word translates as a derogatory reference to "people with unwiped bums."

Once again the PMO staff lets the prime minister down at an event that should have been fairly smooth.

That spelling error is so common that even if you looked it up, you'd still have a good chance of getting it wrong:

A quick search of Google on Tuesday revealed more than 100,000 online pages with some reference to the improperly spelled version.

"A quick search of a number of media sites, including our own, shows this is a common error committed by southerners," wrote James Fitz-Morris on a national news agency's media blurb.

"In fact, CBC viewers with a keen eye may spot a strip of red tape across one of our studio backdrops. Across it is typed the word "Ottawa," beneath it is what was originally printed on the backdrop: "Iqualuit."

Knowing the PMO, they would have erred and called it Yobbish Bay.

I'm proud of you Dobbin. I knew you wouldn't let another chance for a Harper thread pass you by. My prediction of a "Harper burned his toast this morning" is looking more and more viable. I didn't think Harper derangement syndrome exists. I may now have to reconsider. :lol:

I'm proud of you Dobbin. I knew you wouldn't let another chance for a Harper thread pass you by. My prediction of a "Harper burned his toast this morning" is looking more and more viable. I didn't think Harper derangement syndrome exists. I may now have to reconsider. :lol:

Your Obama Derangement Syndrome is unparalleled in the universe. Stand up and take a bow for the absolute for the complete focus on the man.

Actually, let me correct that. Your focus is sometimes diverted by me. You can't resist my posts. I should feel flattered but I can't help feel it should come with a restraining order.