Wally Oppal Considering Run for Liberals?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1222884/

The search for “star” candidates is on, as the Ignatieff Liberals comb the country and make some interesting offers to perspective candidates. The Liberal Leader recently visited former B.C. attorney-general Wally Oppal, who was narrowly defeated in the May provincial election, and offered him the justice portfolio if he were to run federally, according to a source close to Mr. Oppal. The former senior court judge is “mulling over” the offer, which he finds “intriguing” and “appealing,” because of the opportunity to become justice minister if he and the Liberals were to win, said the source.

He joins a long list of provincial Liberals who have gone on to run as federal Liberals if he does make the jump.

Edited by jdobbin

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1222884/

He joins a long list of provincial NDP who have gone on to run as federal Liberals if he does make the jump.

He was a Liberal and always has been a Liberal not sure where your NDP stuff is coming from? He ran against New Democrat Dileep Athaide, he also lost to an independent. He was also a sitting MLA when he lost. Candidate yes Star Candidate is a bit of a stretch.

Edited by punked

The search for “star” candidates is on, as the Ignatieff Liberals comb the country and make some interesting offers to perspective candidates. The Liberal Leader recently visited former B.C. attorney-general Wally Oppal, who was narrowly defeated in the May provincial election, and offered him the justice portfolio if he were to run federally, according to a source close to Mr. Oppal. The former senior court judge is “mulling over” the offer, which he finds “intriguing” and “appealing,” because of the opportunity to become justice minister if he and the Liberals were to win, said the source.

Not much of a star candidate if you ask me. I lived in his riding forever (before he switched in the last election) and never much liked the guy, despite him representing the right-most party available (the liberals).

Not much of a star candidate if you ask me. I lived in his riding forever (before he switched in the last election) and never much liked the guy, despite him representing the right-most party available (the liberals).

I was in the ridding not too long ago, no one had really good things to say about him. Most just said he was like all the others, you didn't see him unless their was an election.

He was a Liberal and always has been a Liberal not sure where your NDP stuff is coming from? He ran against New Democrat Dileep Athaide, he also lost to an independent. He was also a sitting MLA when he lost. Candidate yes Star Candidate is a bit of a stretch.

Sorry, I had meant to write provincial Liberals.

Those are the words of Jane Taber. He is certainly higher profile. I don't know enough about him to know how he would fare.

Edited by jdobbin

Fair enough, don't worry we will see some provincial NDP jumping to the Liberals in some provinces I think. I also think they will lose in most cases.

There is still talk that Gary Doer will be asked by Ignatieff. Think he would lose as well?

There is still talk that Gary Doer will be asked by Ignatieff. Think he would lose as well?

I don't know if he would run he has already committed himself to running in 2011 and is giving an address at this years convention. I don't know what kind of play it would be for him to give a speech cheerleading the NDP which will be recorded like 3 months before an election and run for the Liberals. So I honestly don't think he would run this time for any party.

We did get a pretty Candidate in Alberta somewhere like a few months back so don't worry you aren't the only ones out there. Lewis Cardinal is it the Liberals were begging him as well to run. Winnipeg is actually, and I never thought I would say this, pretty good for the NDP.

Edited by punked

I don't know if he would run he has already committed himself to running in 2011 and is giving an address at this years convention. I don't know what kind of play it would be for him to give a speech cheerleading the NDP which will be recorded like 3 months before an election and run for the Liberals. So I honestly don't think he would run this time for any party.

He has indeed said he is running but there has been continued talk about him getting an offer to run federally as well.

At the moment, he is the longest serving premier.

We did get a pretty Candidate in Alberta somewhere like a few months back so don't worry you aren't the only ones out there. Lewis Cardinal is it the Liberals were begging him as well to run. Winnipeg is actually, and I never thought I would say this, pretty good for the NDP.

Manitoba has always elected NDP candidates even when Ontario and Saskatchewan haven't. Winnipeg generally elects all three major parties.

He has indeed said he is running but there has been continued talk about him getting an offer to run federally as well.

At the moment, he is the longest serving premier.

He is going to get plenty of offers there is lots of talk of him becoming Federal NDP leader. Like I said I think he would stay away from convention if he was going to run for the Liberals it isn't really a worry of mine I don't think it is going to happen.

Manitoba has always elected NDP candidates even when Ontario and Saskatchewan haven't. Winnipeg generally elects all three major parties.

I know and we have strong ones all in Winnipeg this year. It is going to be a good one for us out west if an election comes down I think. Our numbers are holding really well west of Ontario, and even in Ontario they seem to be holding.

The NDP is a perennial also-ran in Delta South. Oppal would have won the riding handily if not for the popularit of Vicki Huntington, then independant, as well as some strong feelings of "èntitlement"in the area, with regard to the overhead hydro lines. She was elected on that issue alone.

Delta South is the riding he lives in.

He - or any federal Liberal - would have a difficult time defeating the current long-term MP.

No way he wins Delta Richmond East Cummins has been the MP for like 20 years their. This is just another Liberals get in the news story. I didn't realize he would be running against Cummins That guy beat the competition by 30% last time.

Edited by punked

He is going to get plenty of offers there is lots of talk of him becoming Federal NDP leader.

If he does, say goodbye to Quebec. Doer doesn't speak a lick of French. I don't think that any federal political party could afford a unilingual candidate, you you?

It is probably why the rumour on federal Liberals keeps cropping up even amongst New Democrats here.

Like I said I think he would stay away from convention if he was going to run for the Liberals it isn't really a worry of mine I don't think it is going to happen.

And if he did run for the Liberals, I'm sure that NDPer would say he was never really a NDP just as we have heard on many NDPers who have gone Liberal federally.

I know and we have strong ones all in Winnipeg this year. It is going to be a good one for us out west if an election comes down I think. Our numbers are holding really well west of Ontario, and even in Ontario they seem to be holding.

I don't see any gains for the NDP in Manitoba.

If he does, say goodbye to Quebec. Doer doesn't speak a lick of French. I don't think that any federal political party could afford a unilingual candidate, you you?

Not our strong hold of Quebec!!!!

It is probably why the rumour on federal Liberals keeps cropping up even amongst New Democrats here.

It seems more of a hope by the Liberals, and provincial NDPer's in Mb who vote Liberal federally then anything else. He has done nothing which makes these rumours seem true at all.

And if he did run for the Liberals, I'm sure that NDPer would say he was never really a NDP just as we have heard on many NDPers who have gone Liberal federally.

It is a really big if but keep hoping.

I don't see any gains for the NDP in Manitoba.

We have three strong, really strong candidates in Winnipeg already.

Not our strong hold of Quebec!!!!

If you plan to be third or fourth party all the time, you can pick a unilingual candidate.

It seems more of a hope by the Liberals, and provincial NDPer's in Mb who vote Liberal federally then anything else. He has done nothing which makes these rumours seem true at all.

Those Liberals who know him personally in Manitoba would rather not have him run for the Liberals.

It is a really big if but keep hoping.

I await the negative comments when he does.

We have three strong, really strong candidates in Winnipeg already.

I personally don't see any gains.

If you plan to be third or fourth party all the time, you can pick a unilingual candidate.

Why it isn't like the Conservatives or Liberals are winning a huge amount of seats in PQ.

Those Liberals who know him personally in Manitoba would rather not have him run for the Liberals.

You seem to pushing this "Rumour" no is reporting really hard for not wanting him to run.

I await the negative comments when he does.

If he does, and that is a big if for the next 4-6 years for sure.

I personally don't see any gains.

You don't really see things right in front of your face.

You really don't understand the dynamics of the riding. :lol:

I'm sure there is a lot I don't understand but from what I can tell by speaking to several people I know who live there who voted on both sides of the issue, if the government hadn't done such a bad job over the power line issue, Oppal would likely still have his job. I think that is a pretty safe assumption considering how close the vote was.

The government didn't do "a bad job" on the issue. They probably just underestimated the resolve and publicity of their opponents... who were wrong, by the way.

Put it this way.... one of the most outspoken people against the power lines bought his house along the ROW precisely because he figured the protesters would win and he'd end up with a large chunk of land for a relatively cheap price.

I talk to people in the riding too. :lol:

The government didn't do "a bad job" on the issue. They probably just underestimated the resolve and publicity of their opponents... who were wrong, by the way.

Put it this way.... one of the most outspoken people against the power lines bought his house along the ROW precisely because he figured the protesters would win and he'd end up with a large chunk of land for a relatively cheap price.

I talk to people in the riding too. :lol:

They did a bad enough job to cost them a seat and one of their star Ministers. How would he wind up with a large chunk of land?

Edited by Wilber

How would he wind up with a large chunk of land?

Hydro easement. They have use of the land, but they don't own it. Some residents were hoping they'd have the land with no hydro poles... even though they've been there for years.

The original option was to bury the lines, but the homeowners said they didn't want their lovely gardens dug up... please dig up the street instead.

Why it isn't like the Conservatives or Liberals are winning a huge amount of seats in PQ.

So you think a unilingual candidate can make it? This is what hurt Blaikie the most when he ran.

You seem to pushing this "Rumour" no is reporting really hard for not wanting him to run.

I have no idea what you just wrote here.

If he does, and that is a big if for the next 4-6 years for sure.

And then you will have negative remarks about him if he does? Such as that he was never a real NDPer?

You don't really see things right in front of your face.

I await to hear what extra ridings the NDP will win in Manitoba.