Wally Oppal Considering Run for Liberals?

So you think a unilingual candidate can make it? This is what hurt Blaikie the most when he ran.

I voted for Blaikie at that convention

And then you will have negative remarks about him if he does? Such as that he was never a real NDPer?

I honestly don't think he will

I await to hear what extra ridings the NDP will win in Manitoba.

We actually have really strong candidates in all the Winnipeg riddings, and with the Liberals polling 15% in SK/MB it should not be too hard to take some more riddings.

I voted for Blaikie at that convention

I don't know that a unilingual candidate would have helped get an NDPer elected in Quebec. It helps that Layton goes to that province and talks in the language.

I don't think we can go backward. I don't think the NDP will ever elect a unilingual candidate in the future.

I honestly don't think he will

But if he did, I expect the hatred to be full on.

We actually have really strong candidates in all the Winnipeg riddings, and with the Liberals polling 15% in SK/MB it should not be too hard to take some more riddings.

Tell me where.

I don't know that a unilingual candidate would have helped get an NDPer elected in Quebec. It helps that Layton goes to that province and talks in the language.

I don't think we can go backward. I don't think the NDP will ever elect a unilingual candidate in the future.

It is questionable although he could go the Harper/Dion route if enough people ask him to run he could learn

But if he did, I expect the hatred to be full on.

Again I don't think he will, although if he did and embraced Liberal policies it would be hard not to say he is wrong.

Tell me where.

I like Lewis Cardinal in Edmonton Centre I think he is a good candidate is getting out of the gate early and has real shot at this thing. I like Ray Martin in Edmonton East, and I like the Liberals low numbers. It will be an up hill battle but I am saying with the right campaign totally see those two as pick ups.

I think we can do well in Sask if the Sask party keeps fing things up

Kildonan—St. Paul was real mess for the Liberals last time but I think we can get a real Candidate in there and win it.

Edited by punked

It is questionable although he could go the Harper/Dion route if enough people ask him to run he could learn

I don't think that learning the language on the job will work for any party's leader. Just my opinion but I think it is a step backwards.

Again I don't think he will, although if he did and embraced Liberal policies it would be hard not to say he is wrong.

As I thought.

I like Lewis Cardinal in Edmonton Centre I think he is a good candidate is getting out of the gate early and has real shot at this thing. I like Ray Martin in Edmonton East, and I like the Liberals low numbers. It will be an up hill battle but I am saying with the right campaign totally see those two as pick ups.

The question was about Winnipeg.

I don't think that learning the language on the job will work for any party's leader. Just my opinion but I think it is a step backwards.

Dion, and Harper did it.

As I thought.

What? Can't help if Liberal policies don't fit what I believe if they did I would vote Liberal Dobbin promise. Get someone who has policy I like and I will vote for them. Dion almost had me.

The question was about Winnipeg.

Yah I looking at west target riddings added to the post sense then.

Dion, and Harper did it.

They were considered bilingual when they were elected leader. Blaikie was not bilingual in any way, shape or form. Many in the party argued that an NDP leader had to be bilingual.

I'd say the new standard now seems to be not only bilingual but smooth, comfortable, spontaneous and crystal clear in each language. Accent seems important now as well.

However, if you believe the NDP would do well with a unilingual leader, by all means...

I just don't think many in the NDP agree with that. It was the big advantage Layton had over others.

What? Can't help if Liberal policies don't fit what I believe if they did I would vote Liberal Dobbin promise. Get someone who has policy I like and I will vote for them. Dion almost had me.

Guess we'll have to wait until an election.

Dion announcing a major policy before the last election meant the entire debate was about that policy. Harper and Layton only had to say it was a bad policy and not really detail what they would do different.

I don't think any party will do that again.

Yah I looking at west target riddings added to the post sense then.

I don't expect the Tories will lose Kildonan.

Even with the loss of a Liberal candidate, the NDP still couldn't win the seat.

Edited by jdobbin

You know... I actually doubt that popular wisdom, that only a comfortably, fluently bilingual leader is electable in Canada.

We are unlikely to see another unilingual Prime Minister, simply because the parties will carefuly weed them out, preventing them from being offered to voters- consider them unqualified- but language spoken is the least of my concerns. Philosophical consistency, truth, managerial chops-- all matter much more than linguistic facility.

I daresay the best people are being passed over, in favor of those who deliver a mediocre message in both languages. It would be interesting to see how the voters would react to a solid message that actually required all that translation apparatus we have in place. They might respond to the message, instead of the medium.

Edited by Molly

You know... I actually doubt that popular wisdom, that only a comfortably, fluently bilingual leader is electable in Canada.

We are unlikely to see another unilingual Prime Minister, simply because the parties will carefuly weed them out, preventing them from being offered to voters- consider them unqualified- but language spoken is the least of my concerns. Philosophical consistency, truth, managerial chops-- all matter much more than linguistic facility.

I daresay the best people are being passed over, in favor of those who deliver a mediocre message in both languages. It would be interesting to see how the voters would react to a solid message that actually required all that translation apparatus we have in place. They might respond to the message, instead of the medium.

Molly. I think you're absolutely right!

Except in Quebec! ;) They don't seem in the main to feel as English Canadians do about being bilingual. In fact, they don't seem all that warm to anybody but a Quebec francophone period!

At least, not since John Diefenbacher! Anyhow, they apparently will tolerate an Anglophone with good french but only grudgingly. That's as far as they're willing to go.

Not all of them, of course. Montreal folks are quite cosmopolitan. Still, when you count on all the Quebec numbers when you're trying to win seats for an election the attitude is so overwhelming that you have no choice but to play to it if you want to win.

Without those Quebec seats it can be almost impossible to win a majority in Ottawa.

It would be nice if things worked as you wished for but I just don't agree that's the reality of our situation.

And yet I wonder how many of the people from the west would react to a uni-lingual francophone prime minister. Oh wait, no I don't, because I already know what the reaction would be.

Edited by Smallc

Do you think many Quebec would accept less? I mean it is possible that Quebecers would accept a unilingual French candidate. Do think the rest of Canada would accept a unilingual French leader?

You are probably right. But as I said, do think Canadians would accept a unilingual French leader? Or is the onus on Quebec to accept a unilingual English leader?

You think so?

I suppose we could test that with a unilingual French candidate. However, do you think that western Canada would accept that?

A one language PM would likely be perceived to be divisive. That little tidbit is very telling in a supposed multicultural framework is it not? It certainly doesn't speak toward the vaunted tolerance we advertise now does it?

The west has a leader in power now, one that has sold his soul for eastern support.