Sponsorship Debacle is Only Fraction of a Quagmire

Hopefully this inspires some debate..

I think the author, the possible new Canadian political columnist on my website, makes a valid point.

Sponsorship Debacle is Only a Fraction of a Quagmire

Apr 28 2004

Counterbias.com

Cory M. Marshall

Que-sais je? What do I know? I know that the former leader of a shipping company continues to steer the country, along with the vast majority of nations, on a course set by his predecessor to keep our country clear of the calamity that evolves from the aggression against Iraq.

Continue reading: http://www.counterbias.com/020.html

I think it's a pretty invalid point, myself.

isn’t it worth $250,000,000 to stay out of a $100,000,000,000 quagmire?

The sponsorship scandal was necessary to stay out of Iraq? That's funny, I thought it was all about Quebecois separatism.

War = Bad

Peace = Good

Bush = Bad

Chrétien = Good

It is easy to govern without responsibility. Canada with such a unique geographical position in the world has the blessing of not needing to defend itself.

Europe is different. They have many competing interests and power struggles. Before the war the French and Germans were trying to create a counter balance to the US and Britain by using this issue to galvanize support. With their support it would have been as the article put "a legal war".

The world still has to worry about dictators and terrorists. Iraq may not have been an immediate threat, but take away sanctions and let Sadam have resources and it would be everyone’s problem. Other countries may have been more of a threat however; Iraq was geographically located in a strategic place to effect the region over the long term.

This war is a grandiose vision for reshaping the Middle East. Turkey, Jordan and Saudi Arabia are friendlier nations and by adding Iraq the whole region will be evolved. Iran and Syria will effectively be isolated and then hopefully influenced. Challenging yes, maybe impossible but to eliminate the Islamic fundamentalist terrorist it will take this. This has never been accomplished in this area. Good luck.

The other option would have been to go on with policing the symptoms, finding the bomb layers, and never attacking the real problem.

Bush was clear; he was going to win the war on terrorism. To do that you have to change the way that area of the world operates.

Even if Bush falls short we should all hope it was not for nothing.

As for this article referring to Harper.

Harper has been clear; we didn’t have the military to help in any real way. We should have wished the US well and carried on with our business.

As for the Liberals, if they were really all that high on principle they would have pulled our ships out to the Gulf and our troops that were integrated out of active duty. Instead they piss off the US, and sent troops anyway. Way to go with that diplomacy. And now we are not even at the table anymore when the discussions are happening and decisions are being made. No world influence. You could see this pan out with our futile proposals to the UN during the ramp up to the invasion of Iraq.

Canada is now the irrelevant nation. No military and no influence.