U.S. Wiretapping of Limited Value, Officials Report

U.S. Wiretapping of Limited Value, Officials Report

By ERIC LICHTBLAU and JAMES RISEN

Published: July 10, 2009

WASHINGTON — While the Bush administration had defended its program of wiretapping without warrants as a vital tool that saved lives, a new government review released Friday said the program’s effectiveness in fighting terrorism was unclear.

The report, mandated by Congress last year and produced by the inspectors general of five federal agencies, found that other intelligence tools used in assessing security threats posed by terrorists provided more timely and detailed information.

Most intelligence officials interviewed “had difficulty citing specific instances” when the National Security Agency’s wiretapping program contributed to successes against terrorists, the report said.

While the program obtained information that “had value in some counterterrorism investigations, it generally played a limited role in the F.B.I.’s overall counterterrorism efforts,” the report concluded. The Central Intelligence Agency and other intelligence branches also viewed the program, which allowed eavesdropping without warrants on the international communications of Americans, as a useful tool but could not link it directly to counterterrorism successes, presumably arrests or thwarted plots.

The report also hinted at political pressure in preparing the so-called threat assessments that helped form the legal basis for continuing the classified program, whose disclosure in 2005 provoked fierce debate about its legality. The initial authorization of the wiretapping program came after a senior C.I.A. official took a threat evaluation, prepared by analysts who knew nothing of the program, and inserted a paragraph provided by a senior White House official that spoke of the prospect of future attacks against the United States.

These threat assessments, which provided the justification for President George W. Bush’s reauthorization of the wiretapping program every 45 days, became known among intelligence officials as the “scary memos,” the report said. Intelligence analysts involved in the process eventually realized that “if a threat assessment identified a threat against the United States,” the wiretapping and related surveillance programs were “likely to be renewed,” the report added.

“While former Bush administration officials continue to argue that their policies made the country safer,” said Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon, “I believe this report shows that their obsession with secrecy and their refusal to accept oversight was actually harmful to U.S. national security, not to mention the privacy rights of law-abiding Americans.”

Waterboarding, now wiretapping, gross violations of rights, now both found to be unnecessary incursions. I hope we all learn something from this, like perhaps Canada's detention without charges of 'terrorism' suspects is also a violation and unnecessary.

Safeguards from government incursion on individual freedoms are absolutely necessary.

....Waterboarding, now wiretapping, gross violations of rights, now both found to be unnecessary incursions. I hope we all learn something from this, like perhaps Canada's detention without charges of 'terrorism' suspects is also a violation and unnecessary.

Safeguards from government incursion on individual freedoms are absolutely necessary.

Meh.....don't look now, but Canada wants to do the same with "Lawful Access".

Neither have been found to be anything but additional tools in the toolbox.

Any relation to this tidbit??

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/12...iewed-congress/

Some Democratic senators are calling for an investigation after learning Congress wasn't briefed about an covert CIA counterterrorism program allegedly ordered to be kept secret by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

This program has apparently been axed. But how does anyone confirm that?

They can't....but it makes for another "Operation Northwoods" conspiracy.

When you have this kind of thing going on, that is where these operations happen. I know it is tin foil hat territory for you. But when a long term secret program is brought to light and axed by the new CIA head, then you know there are issues.

And this has been going on for a long time. Lots of these secret programs exist with no oversight at all. No accountability for screw ups. But it is all part of national security (if it was security the program would still exist).

Stop being so apologetic and stand up for something. Like people having rights. I know you love to get them terrorists and bitch about Canada, but dude, you are getting old stale, and reliably predictable.

When you have this kind of thing going on, that is where these operations happen. I know it is tin foil hat territory for you. But when a long term secret program is brought to light and axed by the new CIA head, then you know there are issues.

There are always "issues" with covert operations and "black programs". Congress purposely hides funding for both from the public by design. The rest of this is just political blood sport.

And this has been going on for a long time. Lots of these secret programs exist with no oversight at all. No accountability for screw ups. But it is all part of national security (if it was security the program would still exist).

So what's the big deal? "Screw ups" telegraphs a remarkable naivete about such programs.

Stop being so apologetic and stand up for something. Like people having rights. I know you love to get them terrorists and bitch about Canada, but dude, you are getting old stale, and reliably predictable.

Whereas you have been that way from the start. If you want to believe in an America (or Canada) that doesn't exist, don't get angry at me when I rain on your parade. I will take continued delight in blowing back your sanctimonious bullshit into your face.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

There are always "issues" with covert operations and "black programs". Congress purposely hides funding for both from the public by design. The rest of this is just political blood sport.

Yeah, but not even congress knew about this program. How could it fund something it does not know of? That also begs the question, who is really running the show then?

Whereas you have been that way from the start. If you want to believe in an America (or Canada) that doesn't exist, don't get angry at me when I rain on your parade. I will take continued delight in blowing back your sanctimonious bullshit into your face.

It's more tiring than anything. I am not the only poster who sees this. It can't really be sanctamonious in my face because I agree with much of what you say when it comes to Canada. You keep forgetting that for some reason.

Yeah, but not even congress knew about this program. How could it fund something it does not know of? That also begs the question, who is really running the show then?

Not unusual at all....been there...done that.

It's more tiring than anything. I am not the only poster who sees this. It can't really be sanctamonious in my face because I agree with much of what you say when it comes to Canada. You keep forgetting that for some reason.

Then use the ignore option...nobody forces you to read my "tiring" posts. Stop whining......

Some Canadians are more dumbed down about their own government's actions than Americans.

Edited by bush_cheney2004