Romeo LeBlanc funeral

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I didn't say I believe in it.

I remember being in Sunday school and hearing for the first time about the transformation of the bread and wine. I thought that the priest must be like 'Magic Tom"..so naturally I assumed it was slight of hand.

The so called scandal was first reported in the Telegraph Journal on July 8, 2009.

A senior New Brunswick Roman Catholic priest is demanding the Prime Minister's Office explain what happened to the sacramental communion wafer Stephen Harper was given at Roméo LeBlanc's funeral mass.

During communion at the solemn and dignified service held last Friday in Memramcook for the former governor general, the prime minister slipped the thin wafer that Catholics call "the host" into his jacket pocket.

In Catholic understanding, the host - once consecrated by a priest for the Eucharist - becomes the body and blood of Jesus Christ. It is crucial that the small wafer be consumed when it is received.

Monsignor Brian Henneberry, vicar general and chancellor in the Diocese of Saint John, wants to know whether the prime minister consumed the host and, if not, what happened to it.

If Harper accepted the host but did not consume it, "it's worse than a faux pas, it's a scandal from the Catholic point of view," he said.

Henneberry said a statement from the Prime Minister's Office is in order.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/front/article/722036

The Telegraph Journal has now apologized to the Prime Minister for having reported unsupported facts which led to the ensuing nationwide attacks from various sources on the Prime Minister. Apologies were also extended to the reporters whose original stories were altered to include those unsupported facts.

On Wednesday, July 8, 2009, the Telegraph-Journal published a story about the funeral mass celebrating the life of former Governor-General Romeo LeBlanc that was inaccurate and should not have been published. We pride ourselves in maintaining high standards of journalism and ethical reporting, and regret this was not followed in this case.

The story stated that a senior Roman Catholic priest in New Brunswick had demanded that the Prime Minister's Office explain what happened to the communion wafer which was handed to Prime Minister Harper during the celebration of communion at the funeral mass. The story also said that during the communion celebration, the Prime Minister "slipped the thin wafer that Catholics call 'the host' into his jacket pocket".

There was no credible support for these statements of fact at the time this article was published, nor is the Telegraph-Journal aware of any credible support for these statements now. Our reporters Rob Linke and Adam Huras, who wrote the story reporting on the funeral, did not include these statements in the version of the story that they wrote. In the editing process, these statements were added without the knowledge of the reporters and without any credible support for them.

The Telegraph-Journal sincerely apologizes to the Prime Minister for the harm that this inaccurate story has caused. We also apologize to reporters Rob Linke and Adam Huras and to our readers for our failure to meet our own standards of responsible journalism and accuracy in reporting.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/front/article/742374

Any bets on whether this apology will be reported in the national media? We'll see.

This thread gives yet more insight into the bizzaro world of the Harper Haters. Any suggestion of wrongdoing by Harper, whatever the source, whatever the lack of evidence, is instantly accepted as proven fact leading to indignant condemnations of the prime minister's moral character.

1 point.

It's doubtful this occurred. Harper is many things but stupid simply isn't one of them. There's no way he would ever risk alienating ever catholic voter in this country. Regardless of his own personal beliefs I have every bit of faith that he would do the politically expedient thing and take the communion as proscribed.

1 point

4 people early on had their suspicions regarding this story. Points were awarded by to the skeptics who had a funny feeling about this story.

Gold Medal Winner

Argus 4 points

Silver Medal

Capricorn 2 points

Bronze Medals

Dave 1 point

Moonbox 1 point

A POX on those behind this dirty action.

A POX on those behind this dirty action.

The whole thing wouldn't have been an issue if:

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index....st&p=439367

My advice to Harper is to fire his present protocol and PR people. They're asleep at the hitch of they can't get him to photo shoots or brief him on what happens at a funeral for a state leader.
Edited by jdobbin

• 2 months later...

For the record non Catholics aren't supposed to take the Eucharist at all from a Catholic Priest not even a PM. Perhaps the PM not being Catholic didn't know this, I have no way to know for sure. Pm Harper isn't Catholic, he's Protestant and should not have taken it imo but I understand why he did.

Many people think he didn't right now and look at the stir it's causing. This is pretty much a non issue for me. He's a Christian and wants to take in the body and blood of Christ and knows why and what he is accepting. I'm ok with it, it just isn't a big deal.

I have much more respect for him forthis then I would say a Roman Catholic supporting abortion which is a mortal sin in the eyes of a Catholic.