Delay retirement age to 70?

Raise the retirement age or qualification for an existing program and you will see whips alright. Figure on chains and maybe the odd pitchfork too. I for one would not stand for it willingly myself.

Well the first step has been taken to eliminate mandatory retirement. The US has moved it's payout to 67 now and I'm betting Canada will follow suit with perhaps 70.

The way things are going I'm figuring to write a recipe book and sell it for to make ends meet.

Title... 65 ways to cook Dr. Ballards

Well the first step has been taken to eliminate mandatory retirement. The US has moved it's payout to 67 now and I'm betting Canada will follow suit with perhaps 70....

US benefits can begin as early as age 62....age 67 only applies to full retirment for those born after 1959. The changes were made 25 years ago.

Although this link is about the US I think Canadians need to think about it too.

Off balance sheet liabilities are very damaging when they are not funded while people believe that they can rely on them.

Off-balance-sheet federal liabilities

What this means for Americans and Canadians alike is that we should be building up our personal savings while paying down our personal debts.

We should also stop encouraging off-balance sheet commitments from politicians.

Although this link is about the US I think Canadians need to think about it too.

Off balance sheet liabilities are very damaging when they are not funded while people believe that they can rely on them....

Well...if it must be the American example (as usual), please consider that such "damaging" entitlement programs are not a constitutional right.....in America or Canada.

http://www.socialsecurity.org/daily/06-22-99.html

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Well...if it must be the American example (as usual), please consider that such "damaging" entitlement programs are not a constitutional right.....in America or Canada.

http://www.socialsecurity.org/daily/06-22-99.html

I am not sure that anyone thought that in the first place. I am sure that where I work, we all want out, and as soon as possible at that. There might be as may as 2% of employees who stay beyond 55 years of age.

I am not sure that anyone thought that in the first place. I am sure that where I work, we all want out, and as soon as possible at that. There might be as may as 2% of employees who stay beyond 55 years of age.

The point is that talk of such dire consequences for unfunded entitlements inherently makes the assumption that they are owed to citizens as a right, when this is not the case.

The point is that talk of such dire consequences for unfunded entitlements inherently makes the assumption that they are owed to citizens as a right, when this is not the case.

Good point BC!

Now what do you think the chances are of not funding these programs or changing the qualifications are in political terms?

Good point BC!

Now what do you think the chances are of not funding these programs or changing the qualifications are in political terms?

I think the chances are 100%...as there have already been changes in the past. Eligibility gates, means testing, and taxes erode what is believed to be sacred "social" insurance, but actually exists as just a payroll tax Ponzi scheme.

The poltical dynamic will have to give way to sobering numbers. Even those who cleverly save will not escape governments who have to take from the "rich" and give to the "poor".