Neilson Debunks Myths on Teens and TV

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/24/niels...still-watch-tv/

According to Nielsen, teenagers are far from abandoning TV for so-called new media. In fact, television viewing rates among U.S. teens have actually gone up 6% in the last five years. Sure, they browse the Web a lot, but far less than you do. The average time spent browsing for an adult person in the United States comes down to about 29 hours and 15 minutes per month. While I reach that average almost on a daily basis, teens are said to browse the Web a lot less than that: 11 hours and 32 minutes per month on average. I honestly thought the average teen would spend that much time on the Web a week, at least.

Interesting study.

There has been talk on these pages about the death of TV. Probably a little premature.

Edited by jdobbin

I am sure that in the day there were many essays and articles written about the death of radio. Yet, it never happened. Television may change, but it will still be with us for a long time yet. And that is just the television set. Television style programming will be around as long as electronics are.

b_c, your son is mastering the art of multi tasking, a skill he will require when he embarks on a career. I think the mind has to be engaged with more than one challenge at a time in order to reach its full potential.

No, he mastered that a long time ago. The content data rate for television is just too slow now compared to other interests and distribution channels. Even television has morphed into PIP and DVR time compression.

Reading a book is a very inefficient luxury.