Page vs Flaherty

Good, so where do you suggest we start? Now, ask me....then ask someone else. Cutting is much easier said than done.

I expect that there will have to be cuts, but I also expect that there will have to be some tax increase.

Edited by Smallc

Good, so where do you suggest we start? Now, ask me....then ask someone else. Cutting is much easier said than done.

I expect that there will have to be cuts, but I also expect that there will have to be some tax increase.

No it would be easy, I could go and cut probably 10 billion out of the budget by defunding useless government programs. I would be able to do this since I don't listen to "special interests".

No it would be easy, I could go and cut probably 10 billion out of the budget by defunding useless government programs. I would be able to do this since I don't listen to "special interests".

The government, unlike you, has an entire country to run.

Sometimes...sometimes not. It's not nearly so easy as you make it sound.

The government even lobbies itself in the interest of pork for their own corner of the world. The "special interests" have political donations to hand out in trade for even minimum interest in their behalf. The troubles are many in what voices to listem to for the government. The problem is that they seldom seem to listen to the citizens.

They listen to citizens all of the time...and pork? Come on. That word doesn't even exist in Canadian politics. With the way that our governments work together on all projects, it's pretty much the way our system was designed to operate, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

We could cut 25 billion from the budget by letting GM fall, putting an end to their disgusting tax-funded marketing campaign.

Special Interests, particularly as in quotes, is a very vague statement. What do you mean by this? I agree some special interests are not practical, plausible, or desirable, but blanketing them all into some negative category is at best naive and at worst completely ignorant. Women's rights is a special interest, yet I believe court dollars and legislative time need to be invested in this issue. The Arts are also special interest, and usually the first to get cut.

Regardless, going after special interests is short sighted when corporate interests are hijacking so much more of our money. While it's nice to have jobs, we are an educated and resource-rich nation. We have absolutely no need to be pandering to corporations for any reason. Threats of not doing business here are empty. No company in their right mind would ignore a growing economy of 30 plus million consumers.

The fact that we have socialized the auto-industry and will pay for it by cutting the measly social services we have and hacking at the arts, and likely locking us in this cycle of under-invested health care, education, and military, and all so a few thousand Canadians can keep their over-paid and over-privileged jobs, and and an even fewer number of Americans can cash in hundreds of millions, should be shocking.

But we're just letting it happen.

Edited by Randy Nicholas