Relocation of border crossing considered

Relocation of border crossing considered to defuse standoff

By Jorge Barrera, Canwest News ServiceJune 4, 2009 6:37 PM

Canada's border agency is considering moving an eastern Ontario border crossing, shut down since Sunday, off a Mohawk reserve to defuse a standoff over arming guards at the post, the president of the border-guard union said Thursday.

Ron Moran, the national president of the Customs and Immigration Union, said he met with Canada Border Services Agency president Stephen Rigby on Wednesday evening and pitched the union's long-standing desire to move the post off the Akwesasne Mohawk reserve, which straddles the Ontario-Quebec-New York State borders.

Moran said Rigby indicated the agency was seriously considering the option as a way to settle the current standoff over armed guards at the post, and to solve long-standing conflicts between Akwesasne residents and border guards.

The federal agency pre-emptively shut down the Cornwall Island border crossing Sunday, which is about 100 kilometres west of Montreal, after the Akwesasne Mohawk leadership said it would not allow armed border guards on native territory.

The Canadian border post currently sits on Cornwall Island, which is on the St. Lawrence River. The U.S. border post is situated on the southern shore.

more...

I'm glad to hear that this is being considered. Makes much more sense than having it through the middle of the Akwesasne community. It's ridiculous for people going to work, to Grandma's, shopping, to work, etc., who have to cross it many times a day.

Sounds like it was just a make-work project for border guards. I'm glad the management and union see it the same way. Now what will the politicians do I wonder.

Knee jerk reactionary ... "Hell no we won't go!" I bet. :D

Edited by tango

Don't like it. We can't give in to the demands because there's no reason to give in to the demands.

The border guards seem to think it's a reasonable solution to a long standing problem. They're the ones working there.

I trust their judgment more than politicians.

Edited by tango

I worry about the precedent that this will set. It would seem to imply that we can't enforce Canadian laws in Canada.

Or ... it might simply imply that some minds are thinking intelligently of the practicalities of a community cut in half, and taking long overdue steps to correct it.

Rip up the pavement and tear up the road as well - move all roads so they go around the reservation. Build a concrete barricade across the access to each reservation - make it big and indestructable. Close the road permanently. Remove any bridges.

They can have any access they want - as long as they pay for it in the future.

Time we told those indians to start obeying the laws - we - the majority - the tax payer - the person who takes it in the ass from every special interest group in the country - are the people who pay. I am tired ot those racist bastards - who sit all winter and scheme as to how to inconvenience the honest white worker and tax payer.

It is time any indian brings a gun to a party he is met with not equal but greater force.

Why should my tax dollars support this scum - they get free - education, housing and such - plus those nice little grants called gifts to start up a business if they could ever find a reason to do something legal.

They want access on and off their reservation - which we gave them - then they can spend their own illegal money and build their own roads.

Tired of indians and their bitching - time we took it to them for a change - time to either enforce the law - or move them with force they could not stand up to - canada is run such a weak dick law makers - any organization - other than a white organization is treated with fear.

If the local "Cornwall White Citizens Against The Regular Indian Lawbreakers" had staged a protest they would all be arrested immediately - proving the fact that the politicians and leaders in the police "indusrty" run on a double standard.

There is no justice system - it is a legal system and it prefers people with brown skin.

Indians know this as did those scum from Sri Lanka in Toronto. As they did in southern Ontario.

Only the white person who pays for all this shit has to obey the laws in canada. Example after example has been shown - across the country - I am tired of it - find a boat or a plane and leave - you are no longer welcome - we are here and we are in the majority - get over it.

Borg

Edited by Borg

Actions certainly don't speak louder than those words, and those words are appalling.

People like you are part of the reason people have no problem disobeying the law in the=is country.

People like you are part of the reason people are not treated equally under the law in this country

I give a damn what you think

Fact is if a person is white and does what those damned indians are doing they would be flushed out and arrested asap - you know that.

Fact is if it were whites blocking highways in Toronto they would have been arrested asap

You want special treatment under the law?

Well my fine little student friend - you have it - making the law completely ineffective. And it is lawyer scum like you that promote it through weak and ineffectual action. Right is no longer right - and wrong is always explained away as a tough upbringing or some other bleeding heart excuse.

No one has to be responsible any more. Especially the law breakers who have a skin colour other than white.

You do not like my tone? You need to get on the line and hear what it is really like - only coming from the other side - you ARE the problem rather than part of the solution.

And I am damned tired of paying for it all - once you start paying taxes - someday - then you might not like seeing half your pay go down the drain and these people tearing up the country at the same time.

They are nothing more than trouble - and they love it because there is no fear of the law or any retribution - they are free to act as they see fit.

Borg

Edited by Borg

Fact is if a person is white and does what those damned indians are doing they would be flushed out and arrested asap - you know that.

They aren't white, and that's what you don't understand. I didn't understand either until recently. There are still problems in society today as a result of things that perfect white people have done in the past. While minority groups aren't always completely blameless, there are still institutional problems that exist that make it difficult for them. Although we as people have made strides to eliminate personal racism (and there seems to be evidence to the contrary here, we as a society have not yet done enough to fix the system and the underlying problem.

I don't expect you to understand. You're going to tell me that I don't know what the Indians are like, all the while not realizing that I live in the city with the largest Aboriginal population in Canada and that my parents live next to a reserve. I don't think that it's your place to so harshly judge these people who you obviously do not understand.

I grew up going to school with these people, and I experiences some individual racism directed at me, but I never really understood why. Today I do. I understand where some of the hatred comes from. It very much mirrors what happened to African Americans. We need to fix this problem....without violence or threat, because we owe to them, and to ourselves.

I hate to say it, but I somewhat agree with Borg here. Just stop maintaining the road and move the border elsewhere. We can't expect our frontline public safety officers to not carry guns just because the Indians don't like them (on the white guys, guns are ok for Indians to carry). The Indian police forces carry guns after all.

There is no negotiation here. Why should there be? Guards with guns or you lose the economic benefits of having a crossing.

I don't find it suprising that a group that is easily amongst the top smugglers of product across the borders is asking for unarmed, unprotected border guards.

Let the cartels set the rules. Duh.

Rip up the pavement and tear up the road as well - move all roads so they go around the reservation. Build a concrete barricade across the access to each reservation - make it big and indestructable. Close the road permanently. Remove any bridges.

Time we told those indians to start obeying the laws - we - the majority - the tax payer - the person who takes it in the ass from every special interest group in the country - are the people who pay. I am tired ot those racist bastards - who sit all winter and scheme as to how to inconvenience the honest white worker and tax payer.

It is time any indian brings a gun to a party he is met with not equal but greater force.

Why should my tax dollars support this scum - they get free - education, housing and such - plus those nice little grants called gifts to start up a business if they could ever find a reason to do something legal.

They want access on and off their reservation - which we gave them - then they can spend their own illegal money and build their own roads.

Tired of indians and their bitching - time we took it to them for a change - time to either enforce the law - or move them with force they could not stand up to - canada is run such a weak dick law makers - any organization - other than a white organization is treated with fear.

If the local "Cornwall White Citizens Against The Regular Indian Lawbreakers" had staged a protest they would all be arrested immediately - proving the fact that the politicians and leaders in the police "indusrty" run on a double standard.

There is no justice system - it is a legal system and it prefers people with brown skin.

Indians know this as did those scum from Sri Lanka in Toronto. As they did in southern Ontario.

Only the white person who pays for all this shit has to obey the laws in canada. Example after example has been shown - across the country - I am tired of it - find a boat or a plane and leave - you are no longer welcome - we are here and we are in the majority - get over it.

Borg

An interesting way to promote native self government. Cut off all services and the flow of federal tax dollars, and offer to bring them to the table to settle all outstanding claims.

Feds eye moving customs port

Posted By KEVIN LAJOIE [email protected]

Posted -53 sec ago

It appears the federal government is considering relocating the customs facility on Cornwall Island.

"In view of the circumstances, we're evaluating the long-term viability of this port of entry," said Chris McCluskey, an aide to Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan, on Thursday as access to the Seaway bridge remained restricted for a fourth straight day.

Border guards at the customs facility left their post late Sunday just minutes before a new arming policy was set to take effect, and the station remains closed.

As a result, both spans of the international crossing were shut down, with traffic on the north span being limited to Akwesasne residents.

Many Akwesasne residents fear giving sidearms to border guards could increase tensions and create public safety concerns in the residential area surrounding the customs facility. However, Van Loan has indicated there won't be any exemptions to the national policy of arming border guards.

That's led to a standstill, and judging by the comments of both sides, there's no guarantee it will be over anytime soon.

Local MP Guy Lauzon said he's very concerned about the situation, and he's working closely with Van Loan and his office to ensure the best interests of his riding are looked after.

"I'm satisfied the minister's doing everything under his power to bring it to a peaceful resolution," said the MP on Thursday.

Lauzon said he's getting daily briefings on the situation, however he wouldn't discuss the details of those briefings for confidentiality reasons.

For his part, McCluskey said there's no plans to bring in a third-party negotiator.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson from the Canada Border Services Agency said they continue to "work diligently to resolve this issue in a timely manner."

read more

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/Article....aspx?e=1599047

Well, I stand corrected! It appears the Feds are being reasonable. Who woulda thought!

:D

An interesting way to promote native self government. Cut off all services and the flow of federal tax dollars, and offer to bring them to the table to settle all outstanding claims.

Pay back would be quick - we send a lot of dollars their way on an annual basis - but no and I do mean NO renegotiation in another 20 years - far too many "treaties" seem to be a bottomless pit.

Done is to be done and final.

Never happen

Borg

They aren't white, and that's what you don't understand. I didn't understand either until recently. There are still problems in society today as a result of things that perfect white people have done in the past. While minority groups aren't always completely blameless, there are still institutional problems that exist that make it difficult for them. Although we as people have made strides to eliminate personal racism (and there seems to be evidence to the contrary here, we as a society have not yet done enough to fix the system and the underlying problem.

I don't expect you to understand. You're going to tell me that I don't know what the Indians are like, all the while not realizing that I live in the city with the largest Aboriginal population in Canada and that my parents live next to a reserve. I don't think that it's your place to so harshly judge these people who you obviously do not understand.

I grew up going to school with these people, and I experiences some individual racism directed at me, but I never really understood why. Today I do. I understand where some of the hatred comes from. It very much mirrors what happened to African Americans. We need to fix this problem....without violence or threat, because we owe to them, and to ourselves.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Borg

Borg

My my, that is quite the rant ... racist much?

Ya, all the angst in your life is because of people with "brown skins". Mhmm :rolleyes:

You are not part of the majority, and you cannot speak for us.

So McBorg, you like the way the economy of Canada supports you?

Cos it's all stolen natural resources from Indigenous land, eh?

Your tax dollars don't even come close to paying the real price of being Canadian.

Didja know Canada would be broke if it didn't steal resources for you, to support your lifestyle?

"Find a boat or a plane and leave" ?? :lol: The Indigenous Peoples should leave? :lol:

You really don't get it do you? If anyone's leaving it will be you and your puny minority of white supremacists.

Canada isn't the place for you. Go pick a fight somewhere else. How bout a nice 'white nation' waaaaaay up in the ice pack. :lol:

Fortunately, and surprisingly, it appears the feds are finally seeing the light and moving the border crossing out of the middle of Akwesasne.

Fortunately and surprisingly, the Feds are perhaps being reasonable.

Edited by tango

A little too reasonable. The First Nations peoples should be compelled to choose Canadian citizenship or self government, enough is enough.

Clearly you don't know the law.

We cannot force anyone to become Canadian.

The feds don't want to acknowledge the truth of the sovereignty of Indigenous Nations.

Stuck in limbo!

Tell your MP you want them to recognize Indigenous sovereignty. ;)

I agree with Borg here...

Give cornwall island to the natives - they can call it their own nation. Since they will no longer be part of Canada, cut off all of their funding and make them get passports and visas if they ever want to visit Canada. Lets see how long they last.

The Mohawk Nation has free border crossing rights by law - via the Jay Treaty which defines Canada's boundary with the US.

Canada is not the ultimate authority. Canada also has to abide by International Law and uphold its international treaties.

Edited by tango

Canada is not the ultimate authority.

However, it is the ultimate authority when it comes to protecting it's boreders. Despite the fact that the reserve is sovereign, it still falls under the jurisdiction of the Indian Act and by extension, the Crown. These particular natives are North American citizens (though many others are Canadians), but the land they sit on belongs to both them and Canada as long as they have not decided to separate.

However, it is the ultimate authority when it comes to protecting it's boreders. Despite the fact that the reserve is sovereign, it still falls under the jurisdiction of the Indian Act and by extension, the Crown. These particular natives are North American citizens (though many others are Canadians), but the land they sit on belongs to both them and Canada as long as they have not decided to separate.

The 'Indian' Act itself has illegal elements and cannot be depended upon as it can be struck down by the courts. The land was never ceded to Canada.

Canada can defend its borders, as defined in the Jay Treaty, but not from Mohawk Territory without their agreement. That's why this crossing has always been contentious.

I think moving the crossing to the south shore is a reasonable solution.

The 'Indian' Act itself has illegal elements and cannot be depended upon as it can be struck down by the courts. The land was never ceded to Canada.

The land didn't need to be vested in the Crown for the reserve to fall within Canadian territory. There is absolutely no evidence that the reserve is a separate country.